• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Power Shot G6 problems and possible replacement?

Chris Turnbull

Unfortunately my Cannon Power Shot G6 seems to have given up the ghost with the LCD no longer working in various settings. Apparently Cannon no longer make spare G6 LCDs so it looks like I'm going to buy a replacement. The reason I bought a G6 was because of the flip around LCD function, though this has proved to be the cameras undoing. I'd welcome some views on a getting a good 'fishing' camera to replace it that also has a flip around LCD screen but can also provide a continuous shooting mode while using the remote?

Unfortunately my Cannon Power Shot G6 seems to have given up the ghost with the LCD no longer working in various settings. Apparently Cannon no longer make spare G6 LCDs so it looks like I'm going to buy a replacement. The reason I bought a G6 was because of the flip around LCD function, though this has proved to be the cameras undoing. I'd welcome some views on a getting a good 'fishing' camera to replace it that also has a flip around LCD screen but can also provide a continuous shooting mode while using the remote?

Hi Chris,

As you probably know, Canon stopped using the flip screen on the G range for a while, but returned to it on the last couple of generations of this great camera (the G11 and 12 I think), however they are 'orribly expensive now :mad:

Failing that, there are several other cheaper Canons with the flip screen, and other makes too....I am sure the guys will be along soon to advise which are best. Good luck with your search mate.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks Dave....... 'orribly expensive I can do without but there seem to be some incredibly reduced prices on the internet.

Chris,
I was in a similar boat at the turn of the year. I really wanted the flip screen function. The two cameras I ended up looking at were the Canon G12 and the Samsung EX1. I ended up with the Canon.

Thanks Stephen, I'll look into that.

Chris, so what's your verdict re. the G12?

Chris, so what's your verdict re. the G12?

I'm a self confessed camera numpty and I'll probably not use even half the features it has. For that reason me saying it's brilliant doesn't have a massive amount of credibility. However, it has allowed this numpty to take some smashing photos that I'm actually quite proud of. I'm sure that cheaper cameras could do the same but they wouldn't have the twisty screen which I find incredibly useful even outside of the realms of the self take trophy shot.

Chris, After years of good service from my G6 I replaced it having seen the Cannon SX1 IS.
Reversable screen, infra red remote, 20X optical zoom that works with the image stabliser system.
Got mine £300 of ebay. Recomended.

Phil

Hi Chris

I have had the G11 for 2 years takes fantastic pictures, my mate who does a lot guiding etc has the G12 there is very little difference between the G11 /12
you might not even use the added features, My mate does a few slide shows so the pictures have to be good when blowen up etc. Very easy for self takes.

I have a G12 as I had enough of lumping a heavy DSLR about and can thoroughly attest for the G12 as a very competent camera. Its making my DSLRS go dusty.

A huge range of features and excellent build quality. IQ is fantastic at base ISO and very respectable even in the upper ranges. Best thing Canon did was reducing the megapixels down to 10. Great for night shots and will save your night custom settings so once done its there all the time. Recommend a small external flash though for night shots.

A lot of money but a lot of camera, but yes probably overkill for the occasional fishing shot, there is quite a learning curve to the G12. Having said that if your happy with the auto, program and scene modes then jpegs will fall out of this camera with outstanding results from not a lot of effort.

Hi Chris

My G6 also failed recently - no power up - and a number of posters reccommended getting it fixed.

I got a cheapest fixed-price repair ( canon authorised) of around £120 - this might be an alternative option?

Regards

Paul.

Whenever this kind of thread arises, the Samsung EX1 gets briefly mentioned and then seems to be dismissed on the basis that 'Cannon rules' where 'flip out' screen cameras are concerned.

Seriously if you want a camera with this kind of feature, check out the EX1 as I'm more than happy with mine and the price has come down over the last 12 months.

Chris you can pick up the Canon sx30IS and thats not badly priced,I use one when I feel a dslr is too bulky,it has a 35x zoom so also good for those wildlife shots,as well as the usual flip round screen,image stabilisation and hd video functionality (depends if hd video shooting is that important to you.),all round it is a a very nice camera and I would recommend it.

The Samsung EX1 that Neil mentions,is very underated in my opinon and has a superb build quality and Schneider lens (3x optical zoom).however if your interested in video recording (not everyone is) then the EX1 does only record lower resolution video.

Phil Smiths Recommendation of the Canon SX10IS is a good one and I had one of these for a few years,up until a few months ago (sold on here to a fellow bfw member). It is a very good solid camera with 20x zoom,hd video,flip round screen as well as a remote and can be picked up reasonably priced second hand.

Hope that might be of some help Chris.

Last edited:
I was very happy with my Sony DSC-F717 until on day the tab fell off the power on switch :( I managed to continue using it and power it on with a little difficulty. Then the other day it came up with a 'Memory Stick Error' which didn't go away even after swapping sticks and formatting.

So I decided it was too old to even consider a repair so I bought a Nikon S9100 as a replacement. Costing almost a quarter of what I paid for the Sony eight years ago I am pretty happy with the 18x optical zoom, full 1080p HD video, fast operation, and the fact it slips into a pocket or bag with ease :) Probably the 5MP Sony still had the slight edge with the general picture quality but I am willing to trade this for the Nikon features and price.

Unless you need the very best picture quality from a DSLR and are willing to pay for it then I would consider a compact camera.

Here's a picture using the Sony

bream10.jpg

And another with the new Nikon

bream_10.jpg

Regards,
Stephen

Hellfire Stephen, there is NO WAY I would buy either of those cameras mate....the barbel come out looking like bream :eek:

Sorry :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back