• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Power Pro Braid/ 2 Rods/ Worried????

John Cook

Afternoon All,

I have been a happy user of power pro braid for many seasons, however i now sometimes fish with 2 rods and will continue to do so through the cold water period....One rod tangling with the other is whats worrying me! i use a korda back lead 3 foot or so up the line but i am worried that the braid being a floating one is going to lift up between mainlead an backlead and i can visualize a fish on the upstream rod running downstream and tanling up with that line!! I was considering getting a good sinking mono for when i use 2 rods???? Any thoughts on this my barbeling friends:)

Afternoon All,

I have been a happy user of power pro braid for many seasons, however i now sometimes fish with 2 rods and will continue to do so through the cold water period....One rod tangling with the other is whats worrying me! i use a korda back lead 3 foot or so up the line but i am worried that the braid being a floating one is going to lift up between mainlead an backlead and i can visualize a fish on the upstream rod running downstream and tanling up with that line!! I was considering getting a good sinking mono for when i use 2 rods???? Any thoughts on this my barbeling friends:)

X-line leader John ? that will sink, be more fish friendly and break at a lower strain than your braid.

Hi Simon,

Are you talking about hooklink? if so i forgot to add that i am using a fluoro hooklink. Or tying in a length of Krystonite from reel to Hooklink???

Last edited:
A leader between the hooklink and the braid mainline, still use the backlead, that should nail the last few yards of line down and prevent the scenario you are concerned about, X-line is flouro by the way, Krystonite isn't.

Hi Simon, yes i could go that way but i think that i would rather switch to a good sinking mono...

You could always fish one rod short and the other rod long. Personally I very rarely use the upstream/downstream tactic, because of the high probability of the top rod tangling with the bottom rod when a fish cowtails it downstream. Thats the flaw with the tactic....

Hi Martin,

In normal one rod conditions a better feel for where the fish is plus better control over the fish, much finer diameter, better tip indication, less drag etc.

i use a korda back lead 3 foot or so up the line but i am worried that the braid being a floating one is going to lift up between mainlead an backlead

Can't see that happening myself John, would have thought even the slightest tension on the mainline ( created by the flow of the river ) would pull the line down between your main lead and backlead. Even in stillwater with a slack mainline, if your backlead is in a semi fixed position, i can't see your braid being boyant enough to lift between the two leads.

If it does worry you that much try Korda's Subline - it sinks like a brick! ;)

Andrew Great Minds....That was the mono i was looking at for that reason..

Was even thinking of adding a clip on set up with the power pro as well as the semi fixed one3 foot behind the main lead....Overkill

Last edited:
I Use Korda subline 15lb and feel very confident using it, however the 15lb version actually breaks at around 23lb (just bear that in mind chaps), found it was very resistant to abrasion

Agreed Wayne. I've used the 12lb version ( actual breaking strain over 17lb ) and have found it extremely tough, although it is slightly thicker than most mono's of the same ( stated ) breaking strain which probably accounts for the discrepancy.

I would say that there's very little chance of your braid lifting under the current of the river, John.
If you're still not convinced though, why don't you fish with a slightly heavier mainlead with a lighter backlead and tighten up after casting?

Damian

Hi John,

Just an idea to think about mate, if you have considered all the options offered and are still undecided. Have you tried rubbing the section of braid you are concerned about with heavy metal? If you wrap a lump of it around the braid, squeeze it tight and whiz it up and down the length a few times, it impregnates the braid and makes it sink beautifully :D

All the best,

Dave.

John, i'm not sure i understand the logic in ditching the braid you are happy with for a thicker mono mainline when you don't need to ?

John,

I fished with Power Pro mainline for a number of years and never had my upstream and downstream rods tangle, the way I fish there is always around 15 yards or more between upstream and downstream baits, normally more like 20 yards. What I did find however is that on the downstream rod, especially if there was a little more flow than normal or leaves, etc.. building up, the backlead (korda large flying backlead) would actually rise up on the end of a bow in the line, right the way to the surface and thus completely defeating the objective, the same does not happen with fluro or mono........

I stopped using braid when I discovered that it was not giving me any advantage at all for Barbel as i was no longer trying to cats heavy feeders, I actually feel that at the same time you can see movements immediately a fish can feel resistance a lot sooner and reject the hook bait...

I have had a lot more success since switching back to mono or fluro, maybe it is just a confidence thing, I don't know.

Hi Lads thank you for your advice and thoughts....

Damian, yes that is an idea i will try out along with Davids heavy metal tip, i suppose i dont want to ditch the braid because i have been happy with it for a long time..

David, Yes the old tip from my days with braid hooklinks when carping..

Simon, No i dont either mate really, just getting a bit paranoid about this, maybe i should think more about placement of the 2 rods and baits...

Ian,
That is really interesting but not good especially as i dont even use the large korda version..Ian did you find that when you let out slack line for the bow that the braid sunk?

Last edited:
Hi John,

If you are able to keep a fairly taught line to the flying backlead it will stay down, the problem seems to come when the you have to play out a loop as the backlead is now working the wrong way round, i.e. the dished surface is facing upstream and it attracts flow and pushes up as far as it can, which I guess with the bouyancy of the braid is all the way to the surface. Trapping the backlead between two float stops a few feet apart does help.

Whilst writing this reply I have just thought that if I had put the backleads on upside down, i.e. pointed end towards the main lead it would probably also stop this occuring..............it's good to talk :)

have a look at the new esp syncro xt line, that too sinks like lead. :)

Ian, good point about the backlead, thanks:)

Back