• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Poachers & Cormorants

Jim Foxall

Just come back from a week by the side of Lake Maggiore, Italy. Apparently very good fishing and I saw loads of what looked like decent chub and loads of baitfish. The Italians guard their fishing and it is very hard and expensive to get a fishing licence. What I did discover is that any illegal fishing is hammered and I only saw two cormorants in literally miles of water. When I enquired why so few cormorants, the reply was "Yes cormani" and a rueful smile. Incidentally, there seemed to be lots of Italians there, working in cafes, hotels etc. And not a curry or Chinese takeaway in sight. It even felt like Italy. God who'd want to visit a place like that.

Horrible places. They come down hard on anything that threatens the integrity of their national well being, take absolutely no notice of any of the more ludicrous rules and regulations handed out by Brussels....or indeed any that interfere with the way they wish to run their country. They reject most of the pathetic 'political correctness' that is destroying our country, and pass laws to restrict the excesses this has brought about. As you say Jim....who would want to live in a place like that.

Actually...I have strange, vague memories of living in a place like that a long time ago....where the 'ell was it :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Hi men,

Funny , I chatted to someone in France this year about the problems we are going through in angling . His take on the French way of dealing with things would be slightly "different " :D.

Hatter

Horrible places. They come down hard on anything that threatens the integrity of their national well being, take absolutely no notice of any of the more ludicrous rules and regulations handed out by Brussels....or indeed any that interfere with the way they wish to run their country. They reject most of the pathetic 'political correctness' that is destroying our country, and pass laws to restrict the excesses this has brought about. As you say Jim....who would want to live in a place like that.

Actually...I have strange, vague memories of living in a place like that a long time ago....where the 'ell was it :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Nicely presented.

And in germany, you have to take a test before you can fish, mind you, you are not allowed to return fish, you have to kill your catch...:eek:

The kill your catch rule is a direct result of the anti angling green brigade in Germany I think. They reason that fish fight to the death and it's cruel to return them to die of exhaustion. It's ironic how morons like this will be responsible for the death of the harmless creatures they claim to protect, rather than back down on their ridiculous views. More fool the German government for giving in to the nutters.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave,

Give it a rest. You just happen to be lucky enough to have been born in one of the very best counties in the world. For our size we can punch above our weight in most areas. We definitely excel in sitting in pubs moaning about the good old days when "British" engineering was the envy of the world. What they forget is that when our prowess was at its height, according to these experts, we were actually turning out goods that were absolute rubbish quality in an industry riddled with industrial unrest.

If you want to know where we are now as a manufacturing country then watch the last 15 minute of the last episode of Top Gear. If that does not make you proud to be British then you have absolutely no soul.

Dave,

Give it a rest. You just happen to be lucky enough to have been born in one of the very best counties in the world. For our size we can punch above our weight in most areas. We definitely excel in sitting in pubs moaning about the good old days when "British" engineering was the envy of the world. What they forget is that when our prowess was at its height, according to these experts, we were actually turning out goods that were absolute rubbish quality in an industry riddled with industrial unrest.

If you want to know where we are now as a manufacturing country then watch the last 15 minute of the last episode of Top Gear. If that does not make you proud to be British then you have absolutely no soul.

I would sooner stick pins in my eyes than watch those goons. we are now a nation of warehouses.

I would sooner stick pins in my eyes than watch those goons. we are now a nation of warehouses.

Graham,

Don't bother with the pins.....you are already blind to what is really happening in British manufacturing which is going from strength to strength and envied the world over for its technical brilliance and quality, something I am very proud to be a part of.

Dave,

What industry are you talking about specifically Chris? Which one was turning out rubbish while being riddled with unrest? Not saying I agree or disagree with what you say, but could you be more specific?

Graham,

Don't bother with the pins.....you are already blind to what is really happening in British manufacturing which is going from strength to strength and envied the world over for its technical brilliance and quality, something I am very proud to be a part of.

Well said Chris and I would fully support that.

Graham,

No not blind Chris just a different view, that's the thing about opinions we all think that ours is the correct one. the pins were to do with the presenters of top gear whom I cannot abide, nothing to do with manufacturing in this country.

Graham,

You wrote "we are now a nation of warehouses." That has nothing to do with Top Gear but is an (incorrect) comment on British manufacturing. As for opinions they always have to take second place to facts if you want to arrive at an informed result.

Why don't you take a look at the piece I mentioned and then try and tell me that it did not make you feel proud.

No not blind Chris just a different view, that's the thing about opinions we all think that ours is the correct one. the pins were to do with the presenters of top gear whom I cannot abide, nothing to do with manufacturing in this country.

Well it's not PC I suppose well Jeremy Clarkson certainly isn't, and that's what makes it so refreshingly different for many.

And throw in funny too and very funny at times what is there not to like for a bloke? I mean we all like cars and wimmin, we all hate lying politicians, diesel cars, caravans, and much much more as featured on here.:)

Like I said what's not to like?

Graham,

You wrote "we are now a nation of warehouses." That has nothing to do with Top Gear but is an (incorrect) comment on British manufacturing. As for opinions they always have to take second place to facts if you want to arrive at an informed result.

Why don't you take a look at the piece I mentioned and then try and tell me that it did not make you feel proud.

While I agree with your sentiments regarding this England etc, I too saw that piece on Britain and it achievements, but I must say Chris I think it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, nice to see such a varied list of small manufacturing companies churning out eccentric cars for eccentric owners.

But the sad truth we are really a small fish in a big pond that any amount of tear inducing proud to be British cannot hide.

We do excel however in call centres and the like.

Graham,

Its very obvious that you have not seen the devastation of industry in the area that I live Chris, so many workplaces closed down and demolished for the land to lie vacant or be replaced by warehouses, it started many years ago with Thatcher and continues to this day some caused by dumping of cheap inferior imports from the far east including my last redundancy caused by the same thing.

This country has many brilliant engineers, unfortunately what we don't have is the forward thinking to support them, it comes from other countries such as China and India.

The largest sheet metal press in the country is now in Coventry, installed in a company taken over by a Chinese company, Jaguar Landrover, - Indian, Aston Martin- ford, I could go on my point is that there is a lack of backing in this country for our own industries which are being taken over by other countries.

PS still cant stand the Top Gear goons. ;)

And rolls royce cars,BMW.
I feel so sorry for youngsters, alot of em, all they have to look forward to is packing airline meals and stacking shelf's in Tesco.

Back