• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Poachers & Cormorants

David,

Don't feel sorry for the youngsters. I am luck enough to work with many of our young engineers in mechanical, optical and electronic engineering, and let me tell you they are brilliant.

Most of the people that knock British manufacturing do not even work in engineering but just duplicate the fallacy that all is doom and gloom. I have over 50 years experience and I can tell you without any doubt that we are in better shape than we have ever been.

And why is youth unemployment so high and rising? the jobs are no longer there yet companies complain of a skills shortage, as I said previously lack of forward thinking. this country no longer has the manufacturing power it once had and it will never return. how many ships have been built in this country in the last few years?

Strange how this thread started off as being one on poachers and cormorants and ends up being a discussion on manufacturing and engineering in the UK. Amazing how topis evolve :)

And why is youth unemployment so high and rising? the jobs are no longer there yet companies complain of a skills shortage, as I said previously lack of forward thinking. this country no longer has the manufacturing power it once had and it will never return. how many ships have been built in this country in the last few years?

Would you employ some of the little darlings that wander our streets at night?

Time for me to let this one go Graham; I'm never going to be able to compete with your knowledge and experience.

It is strange how topics evolve. In response to Chris' comments, I would consider myself a forward thinking individual. What has ruined this country are things like gay marriages, and shed loads of immigrants none of which can speak English apart from asking directions to the Benefits Office. We've just lost the plot. As for employment, surely building that HS2 to get from London to Birmingham 5 minutes faster is lunacy when the money could be better spent setting up factories for chavs to work in. One of the comments mentioned poor British products. This is spot on, this Country became complacent post war with no investment in industry and a bolshoi labour force. The result was products that lagged behind in terms of technology and the quality, rubbish. We got left behind. It didn't help when the 70's Asian immigrants would only buy Asian (Japanease cars) which didn't help our industry. Scant reward for the UK's generosity in welcoming them. I can remember walking down a street in Bradford to see rusted lines of Jap cars. Quite amusing really. My dad fought in WW2 and wouldn't touch a Jap car if it were given to him. You have to admire his pricipals. He had nothing but contempt for people who bought a Datsun Stanza rather than an Austin Maxi, the design of which was brilliant, build quality dreadful. The Jap cars of the 60s and 70s had serious rust problems, as did Fiat and Lancia. But the Jap cars came with things like heaters and radios and the public were taken in by such frippery, a case of not seeing the wood for the trees. It seems that Chris and me agree on many points. Incidentally, a hearty welcome to a new member and fresh blood which is always refreshing rather than the same old topics. For example, which landing net handle should I buy, are the Tay mudboots better than some other brand X. Just wait, with winter round the corner, the next topic will be which thermal suit is better the Arctic Mk5 or the Sir Ran Polar Explorer. Yawn

Hi Jim, how ya been, you old rascal :D I see we still agree on many things chap. The problem is that us old 'uns see the issues confronting our country now in all their ugly, stark reality....or so it seems to us. The younger generations were by and large weaned on the madness of the 'politically correct' way of seeing things...but is that better...or worse? What is or is not acceptable is now an utterly different beast to the one you and I grew up with...and are we certain which version is the right one? It goes without saying that each side in this debate sees their opinions as being the way forward...time will tell mate.

What IS a fact though is that we now live in an age of excuses. Whatever wrongdoings...or poor life choices others take...whatever the huge problems being caused by greed, laziness, stupidity, overindulgence....or the horrors resulting from the desensitising effects of things now available to all on the internet etc...or the just plain evil in people we see ever more of now...we just seem to trot out an ever expanding set of excuses as to why it is not the fault of the person/persons concerned/involved. Whatever else...I am fairly certain that no good will come of that nonsense.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
It is strange how topics evolve. In response to Chris' comments, I would consider myself a forward thinking individual. What has ruined this country are things like gay marriages, and shed loads of immigrants none of which can speak English apart from asking directions to the Benefits Office. We've just lost the plot. As for employment, surely building that HS2 to get from London to Birmingham 5 minutes faster is lunacy when the money could be better spent setting up factories for chavs to work in. One of the comments mentioned poor British products. This is spot on, this Country became complacent post war with no investment in industry and a bolshoi labour force. The result was products that lagged behind in terms of technology and the quality, rubbish. We got left behind. It didn't help when the 70's Asian immigrants would only buy Asian (Japanease cars) which didn't help our industry. Scant reward for the UK's generosity in welcoming them. I can remember walking down a street in Bradford to see rusted lines of Jap cars. Quite amusing really. My dad fought in WW2 and wouldn't touch a Jap car if it were given to him. You have to admire his pricipals. He had nothing but contempt for people who bought a Datsun Stanza rather than an Austin Maxi, the design of which was brilliant, build quality dreadful. The Jap cars of the 60s and 70s had serious rust problems, as did Fiat and Lancia. But the Jap cars came with things like heaters and radios and the public were taken in by such frippery, a case of not seeing the wood for the trees. It seems that Chris and me agree on many points. Incidentally, a hearty welcome to a new member and fresh blood which is always refreshing rather than the same old topics. For example, which landing net handle should I buy, are the Tay mudboots better than some other brand X. Just wait, with winter round the corner, the next topic will be which thermal suit is better the Arctic Mk5 or the Sir Ran Polar Explorer. Yawn

Belachan
My local Far Eastern stockist has Belachan at £1.90 per 250g block. If Tom runs out of supplies, then I wouldn't mind helping out. Bear in mind that the postage for the block is not trivial. Additionally, it is not powdered as Tom's stuff and would need grating.(quote your post)

Trouble is jim without the shed loads of immigrants and gay marriages(wtf!) you wouldn't be able to get your belachan from the local Chinese supermarket and I wouldn't have thought your dad would reccommend using that for catching barbel 60 years ago either! Not having a dig but as bob Dylan said in the 'good ole days' the times they are a changing

Lol

Never mind Jim, you'll soon be dead enough not to worry about it anymore:)

Bloody immigrants!

England_Germanic_Migration_to_Britain.jpg

Hi Jim, how ya been, you old rascal :D I see we still agree on many things chap. The problem is that us old 'uns see the issues confronting our country now in all their ugly, stark reality....or so it seems to us. The younger generations were by and large weaned on the madness of the 'politically correct' way of seeing things...but is that better...or worse? What is or is not acceptable is now an utterly different beast to the one you and I grew up with...and are we certain which version is the right one? It goes without saying that each side in this debate sees their opinions as being the way forward...time will tell mate.

What IS a fact though is that we now live in an age of excuses. Whatever wrongdoings...or poor life choices others take...whatever the huge problems being caused by greed, laziness, stupidity, overindulgence....or the horrors resulting from the desensitising effects of things now available to all on the internet etc...or the just plain evil in people we see ever more of now...we just seem to trot out an ever expanding set of excuses as to why it is not the fault of the person/persons concerned/involved. Whatever else...I am fairly certain that no good will come of that nonsense.

Cheers, Dave.

Seems about right to me Dave. Personal responsibility, accountability, integrity and a genuine willingness to do your very best and contribute something to your community and society in general. All have become rather blurred and out of shape. They may seem almost outdated sentiments but they should be the spine of any community, irrespective of how sophisticated and technologically evolved that community has become.

Perhaps we are currently experiencing a transition. In the same way that the birth of the railways and motorised forms of transport may have done-ultimately expanding our horizons and bringing other communities within reach. Currently, communities have become far more diverse in their form and the pace of change is rapid. There are upsides of course and I love some of the technogy changes we see and that sense that little is fixed and everything can be challenged in terms of what is possible. And perhaps somewhere,in there, is part of the issue for large, often disaffected elements of our world. Trying to make snense of where you fit into this expanding world of ours can, for many, lead to total disengagement and rebellion (in all its forms).

Progression is so central to human nature because of its power to protect and ensure survival that when that path of progression shifts and accelerates I think we have to expect casualties-the disaffected and disengaged.

Of course we employ politicians to elevate themselves above the day to day to make sense of it all and ultimately act as our collective moral conscience and ensure that we keep honest to the core values that the majority of us would hope to live by. But sometimes that process can breakdown....

I sometimes look back at some of the letters I have received over the years to remind me how mad we seem to have become:

"If the best things in life are free, how come the ten pints of lager and chicken madras I had on Saturday night, which were fuc*ing great, cost me nearly 40 quid?" HRH Harry Windsor

"SO the chairman of Yorkshire Water washes his hands, groin and feet using one cupful of water? Big deal! I can clean my whole body, including my arse, using only my tongue, and no water at all. Mind you, I'm a cat." Tiddles, Weybridge.

Jim,

I thank you for the welcome but I must point out that I think our politics are miles apart and your lack of knowledge of the British car industry is truly staggering.

What has ruined this country are things like gay marriages...
This is spot on, this Country became complacent post war with no investment in industry and a bolshoi labour force.

I'm intrigued to know what negative impact gay marriage has had on you? It has had no impact on me whatsoever and I struggle to see how it has had any negative impact on anyone - it's not as if gay people couples didn't exist before they were allowed to marry.

As for a workforce obsessed by ballet - you have a point!

Back