• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pixham Ferry, trotting.

Eddie Bray

Senior Member & Supporter
Thinking about additional tackle to take with me for my upcoming trip to Pixham.

I would like to take an additional rod with me to try a bit of trotting if conditions allow. Not knowing the area some advice as to what I should use would be appreciated.
I have the following rods available:-

Normark Avenger 13ft power float rod
JW Young 13-15ft Trotter
Browning Aggressor 18-20ft Float

I willl also take a Centrepin and Fixed spool reel to use with the rod (although not at the same time).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Some very decent roach last couple of seasons nearby. Close to 2lb.

Thing is they seem to all come to big (10mm) bottom baits away from the bleak.
Had some good chub trotting flake from Oct on.

The perch I see grouping the fry all seem under a lb but must be some good ones.

Presume you fishing BS bit?

Its deep on the inside most of the way through so if you are targetting silvers the long rod.

Might be difficult to land a decent barbel though.
( understatment!)

The Avenger if getting to the bottom for barbel.

I would suggest you start feeding 6mm pellets and band same. And get on the bottom, barbel gear same peg a couple of hours before dusk

Thanks Graham, I bought the Browning about 8 years ago and have never actually used it. I found it in the garage last week along with my 1990s John Wilson Avon when my wife made me clean the garage out. Funny thing was, I was sure I had sold it.

Back