• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Piscario centrepins

Could try a zeppelin…… river won’t pull them out 😂
a barbel would also struggle 😂😂

Funny enough Richard, on one occassion whilst playing a barbel I did flick the ratchet on just to see how much the rod bent over before the ratchet gave and released line. I was surprised as it gave line earlier than i'd expected and I finnished up trying it several more times after with other fish.
I did the same thing with the RS reel with the drag fully tightened up to see how it felt.

How do you know the cost of a bowler reel isn't worth it unless you've had one, or at least handled one?
They certainly are not brittle, your just making ridiculous assumptions there.

Regarding speedia reels, i've had several, and imo the okuma bowler, or any of the okuma centrepin reels are leaps and bounds ahead of them in build quality or in use in any fishing situation.
I would wager the okuma reels are a much more robust construction than any of those you mention.

You also mention "premium price", well, the Kenny kendal reels are kind'a up there in the premium price bracket, and I think every Kenny kendal reel i've ever seen has had bent line lays and pitted bodies or a bent foot, or even all three issues!

I'm not slagging off your reels Mike, i'm just being realistic, and imo the bowler pin blows all three of those models away in every scenario by a country mile 😉👍.
Bit prickly there Ian . It was only an observation on magnesium alloy possibly being brittle , not a ' ridiculous assumption' as you put it . Fish with what you like , I couldn't give a monkeys . I like the reels I mentioned as they are what I currently use . I have handled , owned and used dozens of centre pins from rare aerials to milbro pelicans , my conclusion is that paying many hundreds of pounds for a super light reel is not worth it , but if that is what floats your boat then fine , I would be scared of dropping them in the river ! I paid £50 quid for my Kenny Kendall off E bay a few years a go , beautifully engineered and spins like a top but the handles are naff .BTW , all the Okumas I have used are bearing reels and not centre pins , nice reels nevertheless . Tight lines

Bit prickly there Ian . It was only an observation on magnesium alloy possibly being brittle , not a ' ridiculous assumption' as you put it . Fish with what you like , I couldn't give a monkeys . I like the reels I mentioned as they are what I currently use . I have handled , owned and used dozens of centre pins from rare aerials to milbro pelicans , my conclusion is that paying many hundreds of pounds for a super light reel is not worth it , but if that is what floats your boat then fine , I would be scared of dropping them in the river ! I paid £50 quid for my Kenny Kendall off E bay a few years a go , beautifully engineered and spins like a top but the handles are naff .BTW , all the Okumas I have used are bearing reels and not centre pins , nice reels nevertheless . Tight lines

Sorry Mike if it came across that way m8, wasn't meant to 👍.

I'm not too concerned about having a super light reel, it's just that the okuma bowler reel is a very light reel which is supposed to be made from magnesium....according to the scrip on the box that is.

all the Okumas I have used are bearing reels and not centre pins
According to Garry Mills the proper term is “Nottingham Winch”
If it doesn’t use a grub screw as an end float on the pin. So all young’s reels are centre pins whether they are bearing or bush but all kingpins and okumas are not centre pins. Because they are solely dependent on the bearings rolling round a shaft.

I’ve spent far too much time chatting to him 😂😂😂

Back