• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Piscario centrepins

To be fair though, just looking back through the weights Chris gave me, the MB been almost 200g is a very light pin when put up against the Raw11 at 240 plus
You’re going to notice that especially if your entire set up is very light at say 400g to knock another 40g off is very substantial.
Definitely not just a buzz word there and worth the additional brass if your an okuma pin fan

I doubt very much that it’s pure magnesium
Not at that price point. A heavily loaded magnesium aluminum would be more realistic.

I have no idea about the percentages of magnesium etc are, I only know that the spec's on the box state the reel is constructed from magnesium with no mention of a mixture of materials.
Back when the reels were made magnesium may not have been as expensive as it is today? Also bear in mind the reels were probably cheaper to produce back then and in their place of manufacture.
I can only repeat what it states on the box, and how I find the reel. In my hands the reel feels very light in use and functions superbly. The amount of inhertia needed to make the spool rotate is very little. Because of this i've used the reel successfully on rivers with virtually no flow.
I don't think there were a high amount of them produced because they didn't sell very well, hence you seeing them for sale for 300 quid.

I have no idea about the percentages of magnesium etc are, I only know that the spec's on the box state the reel is constructed from magnesium with no mention of a mixture of materials.
Back when the reels were made magnesium may not have been as expensive as it is today? Also bear in mind the reels were probably cheaper to produce back then and in their place of manufacture.
I can only repeat what it states on the box, and how I find the reel. In my hands the reel feels very light in use and functions superbly. The amount of inhertia needed to make the spool rotate is very little. Because of this i've used the reel successfully on rivers with virtually no flow.
I don't think there were a high amount of them produced because they didn't sell very well, hence you seeing them for sale for 300 quid.
What does the spool weigh, Ian?

Easy way to confirm it. What does a standard Sheffield weigh Ian.
Magnesium is 2/3 of the weight of aluminum.
If what you say is correct then your Sheffield should be in and around 300g

Easy way to confirm it. What does a standard Sheffield weigh Ian.
Magnesium is 2/3 of the weight of aluminum.
If what you say is correct then your Sheffield should be in and around 300g

The sheffield weighs 243grms.
The aventa weights 234grms

The youngs RS is next to me in the tackle room so weighed it also, it weighs
263grms

Where have you got 300grms from for a sheffield?

Last edited:
What does the spool weigh?

Overall weight = 197g
spool = 127g
back = 65g
nut = 5g

However, mine has over 100m of line and a pole elastic for line retention included in the overall and spool weight.

For comparison (with similar line amounts and elastics included),

Youngs Super Lightweight = 207g
Hardy Conquest (a) = 213g
Hardy Conquest (b) = 209g

Last edited:
The sheffield weighs 243grms.
The aventa weights 234grms

The youngs RS is next to me in the tackle room so weighed it also, it weighs
263grms

Where have you got 300grms from for a sheffield?
What I was saying is if the mb reel was pure magnesium at 200g then the Sheffield would be 300g being aluminum given that magnesium is 2/3 the weight of aluminum.
The fact that it’s 243g suggests to me that the mb reel isn’t pure magnesium as stated on the box. If that makes sense

Hey …. I’m not dissing the mb reel at all. 200g is impressive and a good ounce n half lighter than the Sheffield. No complaints from me on that and definitely worth the extra ££
But it’s not a pure magnesium reel despite what the box says because both the weight and the price tag are quite a long way off if it was.
Based on the Sheffield being 243g the mb reel would be 160g. Another 40g lighter again

What I was saying is if the mb reel was pure magnesium at 200g then the Sheffield would be 300g being aluminum given that magnesium is 2/3 the weight of aluminum.
The fact that it’s 243g suggests to me that the mb reel isn’t pure magnesium as stated on the box. If that makes sense

Yes, I realise that now 👍.
I'm not sure if the magnesium is pure or mixed with something else, or even wether you can actuallu male something from pure magnesium.
I suspicious as to wether the foot and the face plate may be alloy, so that might be the reason it weights more than if it was all magnesium?
Hey …. I’m not dissing the mb reel at all. 200g is impressive and a good ounce n half lighter than the Sheffield. No complaints from me on that and definitely worth the extra ££
But it’s not a pure magnesium reel despite what the box says because both the weight and the price tag are quite a long way off if it was.
Based on the Sheffield being 243g the mb reel would be 160g. Another 40g lighter again

Going off that it would be 32grms lighter again wouldn't it?
The bowler is 192grms, thats 8grms lighter than 200grms 😉👍.
So if the faceplate and the foot are alloy then that may be where the extra weight is coming from...maybe?

Yes, I realise that now 👍.
I'm not sure if the magnesium is pure or mixed with something else, or even wether you can actuallu male something from pure magnesium.
I suspicious as to wether the foot and the face plate may be alloy, so that might be the reason it weights more than if it was all magnesium?

Going off that it would be 32grms lighter again wouldn't it?
The bowler is 192grms, thats 8grms lighter than 200grms 😉👍.
So if the faceplate and the foot are alloy then that may be where the extra weight is coming from...maybe?
I’m rounding the numbers mate to save me messing around with calculators but yeah if that’s what you get 👍🏻

Great thread gents I was compelled to weigh my "forgotten" NGT 4 & quarter inch aluminium centrepin.
It had just the one outing and I enjoyed fishing with it.
After reading most centrepin related stuff on here it was hidden away 12 months ago fearing my river bank cred would seriously suffer if ever I was "caught" using a £25 reel that weighs just 189 grams including line!

After reading most centrepin related stuff on here it was hidden away 12 months ago fearing my river bank cred would seriously suffer if ever I was "caught" using a £25 reel that weighs just 189 grams including line!
After revisiting a terminally boring thread on another forum about whether expensive gear is worth it or not, I am hoping that this is tongue in cheek. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt David, but for the record, I don't give two hoots whether your reel cost £25, £2.50 or £2,500. However, if you are using Maxima Chameleon on your cheap reel then you are beyond the pale ;)

Back