• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pike

How did you get on yesterday, Steve? Did you manage to get the boat out?

Only just......

Raced from football (1-1 against Wrekin Tigers, Ben scored again:cool:) to my mom's (well it was mothers day), then back to bridgE.
Hooked the boat on the back, raced down to the WAvob with Ben, to try to get him his first Zander and/or a PB Pike, battled a ferocious wind for 3 hours fishing and blanked:(........

First blank aboard yamyam in two years.............

Perhaps it was a good thing I couldn't make it, then. I'd have felt it was my fault that yamyam had suffered her first blank in two years :eek:. What a stigma that would have been to live with :eek::(

Why ?? are they worried that small children and dogs will be next !

Oh well the match anglers can look forward to the explosion of jacks over the next few years !!

The EA did this to a lake near me a while back, and its taken a good 5 years or so for the jack numbers to settle back down. There are now a handfull of good doubles that have grown on in there to maintain a NATURAL balance thankfully.

I've heard that Pike are supposedly not native to the far southerly tip of Cornwall, I would guess due to a higher average climate and or location than anything else, but I'm shocked to learn that they are now being ousted out of the whole COUNTY, seems a bit xenophobic to me !

Wonder what they'll do with the illegally introduced carp !!

I was surprised and intrigued to read this. I had no idea there was anywhere that did not have pike. But a quick Google found the following statements, although not from definitive sources:

"With the exception of Cornwall, pike are fairly well distributed throughout the country." (fishing.co.uk)
"Found in most parts of the U.K. except northern Scotland, parts of Cornwall and west Wales." (uksafari.com)
"In the UK, pike can be found in every county of England, except Cornwall..." (norfolkfishing.com)

The West Country is riddled with rivers, I don't see why Pike would not have spread througout the region, as they did in the rest of the UK. They are known to have been in the UK for at least 500 million years, so there has been plenty of time for pike to spread to the West Country. Is the climate really too mild to support pike? And if that's so, why are the pike in this pond thriving?

(According to norfolkfishing.com, chub are also not found in cornwall)

Exactly, it is a mystery really?

Pike being more of a cold water species, I just guessed that the slightly higher ave climate might have stopped them taking residence permanently, but then nature will always have its reasons, water acidity could be a factor maybe ?

Ponds, esp if man made, will be different to natural waters though and so would be artificially more suited to pike

I very much doubt that climate is the reason pike are non-indigenous to Cornwall, they exist, naturally in Spain, just a tad warmer than Cornwall! More likely a natural phenomenom, some deep routed barrier from our geological past, most likely?
Peter

Actually they were introduced to Spain,

see here..
http://www.ucm.es/info/zoo/Vertebrados/elvira/Elvira1995a.pdf

But the last ice age ( Pleistocene epoch ) was probably responsible for the distribution of Pike through most of Britain. It only extended south of the Midlands down to Oxford however, so could explain why they never found their way to Cornwall.

I'm sticking to my temperature theory because even if they did reach Cornwall in the past I think they may have just preferred conditions further north.
In North America the Muskie is distributed more in the south than the Northern Pike (Esox Lucius) which can be found more in Northern states and Canada. Some interesting detail here not sure how factual it is though ?
http://www.pikezander.co.uk/pike.htm

I think given the choice they would migrate out of Spain further north, if a clear passage existed for them of course.

Last edited:
Back