• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pike

Jeremy Evans

Going to get the pike gear out and sorted for a concerted campaign for a middle Severn monster this coming autumn and winter. Hoping for a 20+ from my local stretches and possibly a new pb of 25+. Not going to waste my time fishing for barbel in -6c temps this year.:D:D

Think I'd rather fancy my chances of catching a barbel in -6c, than a 25+ pike from this neck of the woods!:D

That said they are there, and I'll be trying to beat my middle Severn PB of a paltry 15lb8oz myself.

I know of two 27s from up my way and have been told of an absolute monster which looks well over 30 in the pics.

I've heard the rumours, not seen any pics, but when you think they've had pike to 18lb from tiny rivers like the penk, a 30 out the middle severn doesn't seem all that difficult to believe.
Fish of a lifetime if you catch one though.

Stocking up freezer now big fellow ! Cant be as bad as last year the -6 was at its warmest that day

Dean ur a wimp lol, need a bit of padding like me mate. Going to raid my roach water at the back of the house for a few baits in the next week or so.
Rhys been told of a 24+ local to me that was caught last Sept could be a right monster at the back end of the season.

Last edited:
Pike Rigs - Crimps

Hello All,

After a bit of advice .In preperation for a trip this weekend on a local gravel pit i thought i'd make up some more rigs.
I've always used Drennans wire ,trebles and crimps previously because they've always seemed to do the job.

In attempt to make the crimping process more professional I was intending to get some Drennan crimping pliers,but after going in a couple of tackle shops and looking on the internet I am not sure they exist .

On the packaging blurb for the Fox and Greys pliers that I looked at it states that their pliers are suitable for their crimps.
Has anyone used the Fox ,Greys or any other brand of pliers with the Drennan crimps, or is it that crimping pliers are only compatible with the same brand crimps .

All the best

I've got both Greys and Fox pliers and crimps are simply metal tubes so it makes no difference at all. They're just trying to get you to buy their gear.

Nice one Rhys, Kris had an 11 this morning while we were out. A lad down my way had a decent 3lb chub bit in half by a wee beastie on friday evening by what he said was a very large pike.

Float paternoster Andy, though it really depends on the flow, as its not really a method that works well in slack water. Well, not with dead baits anyway.

Managed a few Pike on Saturday, off the boat.....

Nothing huge, with two going around double figures.....
Caught them on a variety of methods, including lures (trolled and cast), deads on the bottom, deads float trolled, lives paternostered.....

No Zander, which was a surprise, but then again no-one seemed to be catching Zander....

Steve

Result today, 4 fish, 14lb 5oz, 19lb 12oz, 20lb 11oz, 20lb 12oz, all caught on a single circle hook using sardines and herrings (2 each). This was my first brace of 20,s , I have caught plenty over the years, had loads of big bags of fish, but never banked 2 in a day, well chuffed.
Give circle hooks a try, its a revelation, and so easy to remove, far more fish friendly than a pair of trebles.
peter

Back