• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pike

Hi Richard ,,or any one that knows about the Diawa Emcast reel

Bought a pair of these used reels for pit winter pike fishing from e bay ,they are well used I reckon but hopefully should do the job.
So of the two one of them does not lay the line completely over all of the spool, the other reel seems fine.
The rise and fall of the spool is not enough as you wind in resulting in a gap of some 5mm towards base of the spool where the line has not laid.
I have tried fiddling around with it but wonder if there is a spacer or obvious tweak that can be appied,maybe its a possible bale arm prob ?
Also can new clutch "damper" washers be purchased,,,are they anything special ?
Anyone else had similar prob ?

Any ideas ?
Thanks

Hi Richard ,,or any one that knows about the Diawa Emcast reel

Bought a pair of these used reels for pit winter pike fishing from e bay ,they are well used I reckon but hopefully should do the job.
So of the two one of them does not lay the line completely over all of the spool, the other reel seems fine.
The rise and fall of the spool is not enough as you wind in resulting in a gap of some 5mm towards base of the spool where the line has not laid.
I have tried fiddling around with it but wonder if there is a spacer or obvious tweak that can be appied,maybe its a possible bale arm prob ?
Also can new clutch "damper" washers be purchased,,,are they anything special ?
Anyone else had similar prob ?

Any ideas ?
Thanks
Just seen this and it sounds like a potential serious fault. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner. I’m happy to look at it for you and see what’s causing it.

And the reason for going to the thread in the first place ……
Genuine southern river pike. She was 1 good meal away from 30. Obviously she smashes my previous pb
83AC2B68-1446-4021-B64A-9B9024BB5DB9.jpeg
49078C34-2D97-44D5-940D-80F7398A14B4.jpeg
867A2D15-40B8-4069-A19C-3944E336C344.jpeg

I wasn’t expecting it at all. I’ve not heard of a pike that size out for a very long time. I took my DLST trotting rod which was a special build based on the torrix 2.25 that Dave had designed and built into a rod for trotting small dead’s under a float.
It was a red letter day before I caught that one because I’d had 7 before it between 6-17lb in 3 hours. They we’re going barmy for it.
Then all went dead for an hour till the float very deliberately dipped and bobbed.
I hit it knowingly from the bite it was a different type of fish altogether. I could tell it was either very small or very large just from how delicate the take was. Then I hit it 😳
I can’t actually tell you to the oz what weight it was as I was shaking when trying to hold it up and weigh it. (More excitement than lack of strength)
My scales never settled exactly but I do know she’s somewhere between 28,13 and 29,03.
I’m not robbing anyone if I take the lower value

Rich,
I’m sure a man of your skills could make up something similar to the attached. Screws into a landing net pole and it’s amazing the stability it gives to the scales. I personally use the Gardner version and it works a treat.

Regards
Bill

Rich,
I’m sure a man of your skills could make up something similar to the attached. Screws into a landing net pole and it’s amazing the stability it gives to the scales. I personally use the Gardner version and it works a treat.

Regards
Bill
Hi Bill.
Your dead right I probably could. However there’s 3 reasons off the top of my head why I probably wouldn’t bother.

I won’t carry it around

Moments like that happen so rarely that if I did start carrying one around I’d soon stop

To be honest the weight I took which was within 6oz is plenty good enough for me. If I’d actually persevered with it I’m sue id of got a perfect weight but getting her back quick was the priority. Big girl like that used lots of energy up.

Back