• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pike

yes the unhooking mat was in the car at home due to social distancing had to cycle over 15 miles to get to the river hence I could not go back home
The stretch I fishing is all grass banks the fish was unhooked and returned with 2 minutes of capture and came to no harm and the risk to the fish was minimal

Three pike on the last 2 trips.

This the prettiest

20210117_140704.jpg

wish I could get near my local stretch of the G Ouse for a dead bait chuck. It’s well up the banks at the moment

Will be serious flooding this way by Friday.

The Wye been like a yo yo last few weeks.

So much groundwater and fields flooded so any rain just going straight into the river.

Out of interest..
Which is meant to be more suited for pike,,, the really cold spell we have just had or the warmer spell immediatly after ?
I fish a 6m deep gravel pit or does it not really matter.
Its a given overcast weather is deemed suitable whatever temps.

Out of interest..
Which is meant to be more suited for pike,,, the really cold spell we have just had or the warmer spell immediatly after ?
It can be either for pike. They are certainly more active with a bit of temperature in the water but cold snaps can be really good as well because the prey fish tighten up in groups during the cold frosts and if you can find these groups of prey fish you’ll find the pike won’t be far away.

You definitely need to be more mobile when it’s really cold as finding those areas of huddled up prey fish is the trick. I’d be searching for deep water when it’s cold and especially if the sun is out. If it’s warmer like this week with the rain and cloud cover then I’d be putting baits onto marginal shelves

Out of interest..
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I was always under the impression that below a certain depth the water temperature stays around 4 degrees all year round. And I think that depth is around 8 feet. Doubt that transfers to running water though as surely it’s always mixing together

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I was always under the impression that below a certain depth the water temperature stays around 4 degrees all year round. And I think that depth is around 8 feet. Doubt that transfers to running water though as surely it’s always mixing together
The "4'c" thing is a 'rule of thumb' figure @Jon Young. Water is at its most dense at approximately 4'c, and the most dense liquid will naturally 'sink to the bottom' in still water. But 'still' is often/usually not totally still, as it's effected by meteorological forces i.e. wind, rain, air pressure. As an example, a strong breeze over a deep lake will result in a thermocline (i.e. water will be theoretically warmer at one end of the lake, independent of its depth). Then there's water flowing in and out of pools/lakes etc.

Back