• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

pike traces

Just to add to Steve's forceps advice, I find it's easier to clip a small weight to the forceps handles, the extra weight helps you get a nice tight twist. However, be careful the forceps don't come flying off mid spin!

if you have a look on martin bowlers web site terry lampard has done a cracking little video on making up a wire trace by twisting with forceps,

Be a good starting point for anyone giving it ago for the first time

Crimping verses twiddling! I crimp, try twiddling titanium it cannot be done. I use twin crimps they are smaller, neater and stronger if you use a cup to cup crimper.
Ian by all means stand by what you stated, You are obviously a experienced Piker and I did not say I believed you were wrong but the question Lee tabled as an occasional piker who does not have the inclination to make his own was will these traces do a job, yes they will, with the addition of a bit more wire. Additionally I hate waste and I am willing to bet, that you, like me have thrown away hundreds of yards of made up wire because three or four inches at the business end are kinked and twisted beyond anything useable. It’s not about the cost, it because I find waste abhorrent.
I feel the biggest problem with a lot of shop bought traces is triple strength hooks a lot of the commercial traces use. If I had my way would be banned, in my opinion the hook should be the weakest link, Triple strength hooks are regularly left in trees bushed on telephone lines and in good health pike that soon become skinny ill pike because its gut is stapled shut and then, dead. Finally someone said they were shown how to make a trace properly, fantastic, would it not be great if everyone was shown that, one of my clubs insist on it. They also insist you attended a predator handling class before you can fish for predators in their waters. Sadly an awful lot of clubs still condone throwing pike up the bank and finding someone to show you how it’s done in a club like that is next to impossible. I would much rather someone buys a reasonable trace than make them wrong.

Crimping verses twiddling! I crimp, try twiddling titanium it cannot be done. I use twin crimps they are smaller, neater and stronger if you use a cup to cup crimper.
Ian by all means stand by what you stated, You are obviously a experienced Piker and I did not say I believed you were wrong but the question Lee tabled as an occasional piker who does not have the inclination to make his own was will these traces do a job, yes they will, with the addition of a bit more wire. Additionally I hate waste and I am willing to bet, that you, like me have thrown away hundreds of yards of made up wire because three or four inches at the business end are kinked and twisted beyond anything useable. It’s not about the cost, it because I find waste abhorrent.
I feel the biggest problem with a lot of shop bought traces is triple strength hooks a lot of the commercial traces use. If I had my way would be banned, in my opinion the hook should be the weakest link, Triple strength hooks are regularly left in trees bushed on telephone lines and in good health pike that soon become skinny ill pike because its gut is stapled shut and then, dead. Finally someone said they were shown how to make a trace properly, fantastic, would it not be great if everyone was shown that, one of my clubs insist on it. They also insist you attended a predator handling class before you can fish for predators in their waters. Sadly an awful lot of clubs still condone throwing pike up the bank and finding someone to show you how it’s done in a club like that is next to impossible. I would much rather someone buys a reasonable trace than make them wrong.

Kevin, I should probably just let things lie but I am not going to for the simple reason that you are completely misconstruing the POINT I was trying to get across which was that I would advise learning make your own traces, BUT, whatever one does, whether they make or buy, ensure they always test them before use!!!!!

Personally I also use titanium wire, double crimps and a cup to cup crimping iron with hooks, swivels, etc attached with split rings making a trace that will last indefinitely.

I do agree with everything you have said though, don't get me wrong, I am not a massively experienced piker compared to many I know but do take it very seriously, I guess we have both been in the same club, FAS, regarding the pike teach inns, I have also organised similar for the club of which I am chairman.......... although not yet compulsory.

if you have a look on martin bowlers web site terry lampard has done a cracking little video on making up a wire trace by twisting with forceps,

Be a good starting point for anyone giving it ago for the first time

Good advice. Remember years ago my forceps going for a swim as I was making a trace. Twiddling stick for me ever since!

Personally I also use titanium wire said:
Ian
And I with you, the only thing I was trying to highlight was IMHO all shop bought traces are too short, I think we agree on that, and while I know an uptrace is generally regarded as the item you described to prevent bite offs from pike striking from bellow it will have to do to describe what I am advocating. Until anyone can get enough confidence to make their own traces the addition of a bit of extra wire can convert a shop bought pike killer into a perfectly safe but not very efficient trace.

PS I like the sound of "not yet"

Just to add, I didn't actually ask the original question. I just made the point that not everything on eBay is rubbish, anglers just like you could make quality traces and sell them on. The traces I used were 24 inches long which I think is fine. I would never use anything that I thought would compromise my ability to fish safely.

Back