• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

pike traces

Anyone know where you can get single hook traces from? Cheers

Guys, you really should make your own if possible, you will know the components that have gone into them and have confidence in testing them. Please make sure you test every trace you use, especially if bought, pull test the swivel against each treble individually.
Do not use anything shorter than 18 inches in length as there is a big chance of it being bitten off, leaving trebles in a pike and condemning it to certain death. Very few ready made traces are long enough.

I realise this may be a little basic and apologise if it appears condescending in any way, here is a link to info on the PAC website: http://www.pikeanglersclub.co.uk/factsheet1.pdf It is a great source of information regarding pike fishing.

Ian, I appreciate your concern but do not feel that buying traces from ebay is as bad as you make out. For example, you make your own traces and if you had the inclination you too could make enough to sell on through ebay. Would that make your traces unfit for purpose? Indeed, one could make their own traces but it wouldn't mean it was done properly.

As for the source in question, UK Pike Traces, I purchased some traces from them in the past and have found them to be of very good quality. 22 inches of FOX PIKE SYSTEM 35lb wire, 60lb swivels and decent hooks that accounted for an 18lb river Pike for me earlier this year and coped admirably. I would like to think that anyone fishing for Pike seriously would be aware of the potential dangers and ensure they are tackled up correctly.

To be honest Lee, i would think anyone who fished for pike seriously would make their own? You need a lot of flexibility from your traces for various methods, something not available from the shop bought snap tackle.

Each to their own obviously but not everyone has the time or inlcination to make traces when they can buy them and they catch fish.

Making your own is pretty simple and as Graham said you need a lot of flexibility. Going to give single hooks a go this year, standard and circles, think moving away from trebles is the way forward.

DIY is the only way to go, simple and quick, whether you choose to crimp or twist, really depends on the wire used, I use 49 strand which has to be crimped but doesn,t kink. As for hooks, cirtcles are the way to go, I,ve used them exclusively for 4 years, my hook up rate is nigh on 100%, the only exception being a small jack picking up a big herring, and obvious eel pickups, numerous fish landed including many 20,s, big baits, small baits, just one hook, in the head does the job, just don,t strike, wind down and lift, job done!!!
peter

Large single hooks can kill pike by puncturing organs. Also I have to take issue with you Ian regarding short traces. If you use an uptrace, which I nearly always used to do, prior to switching to AFW 7 strand titanium, you can get away with a 6 inch hook trace. Its always the last 6 inch that gets the hammer. Mind, your spot on about making your own. Now a titanium trace lasts session after session so I am back to using longer one piece traces. I also use kwick links to connect the trebles. It’s just so easy to snip the link and invert the treble / trebles to remove it or cut it out, if you do get caught out and a pike bolts a small bait without moving off.

Gents, my comments were aimed at the beginner and not the experienced piker. I stand by every single point I made, especially regarding testing traces, I have never bought a trace, I was shown how to make them from the start and have tested every single one, testing again through the rod when attached to the line. This gives me confidence.

If you wish to buy traces, go ahead, you will spend more money in the long run but providing they are at least 18in in length and you test every single one you should be ok.

Regarding uptraces, I use them in many situations too, normally 3 feet in length but do not shorten my hook trace. Cannot see any advantage in using a hook trace shorter than 18 inches to be honest but I am sure I about to learn something new.

I make my own traces.
I think if you are anything more than a casual Piker, you have to.

They are so quick and easy to do, once you have all the bits and bobs.

Too many circumstances when I need to change traces, and brought ones just don't give me that flexibility, plus the expense.
But I guess the main reason I make my own is that should I loose that Pike or Zed of my dreams at the net cord, due to a trace failure, I will know exactly who to blame......

Steve

I've always made my own because i don't think that any single tackle company makes a complete range that suits my fishing.

I always end up using bits from at least 3 different companys.

Have a good night tonight steve and tell my lil bro to behave himself!!
And beware of record breaking perch!! their a plague round these parts:D

Am planning starting lure fishing ,mainly for perch but have been sensibly advised to use wire trace in case of pike , decided to make my own and after discovering my local tackle shop hadnt got the stuff I needed I decided to buy off the net , went for Drennan 7 strand and also ordered crimps to match wire , well they arrived today and on the back of the wire it advises using crimps next size up to wire now thats great , now after advice from a piker I went for 28lb wire which is surprisingly fine and bought crimps rated for 7 strand wire of 28lb-45lb now both are Drennan products yet dont match up , now my conundrum is this do I buy next size crimp up or do I drop down wire breaking strain ?

Am planning starting lure fishing ,mainly for perch but have been sensibly advised to use wire trace in case of pike , decided to make my own and after discovering my local tackle shop hadnt got the stuff I needed I decided to buy off the net , went for Drennan 7 strand and also ordered crimps to match wire , well they arrived today and on the back of the wire it advises using crimps next size up to wire now thats great , now after advice from a piker I went for 28lb wire which is surprisingly fine and bought crimps rated for 7 strand wire of 28lb-45lb now both are Drennan products yet dont match up , now my conundrum is this do I buy next size crimp up or do I drop down wire breaking strain ?

Don't bother crimping 7 strand Robert, buy yourself an ET twiddling stick and just twist em up, thats how i've made all my traces for the last 30 years and i've never had one fail.

Oh and make sure the 7 strand you get is Stainless steel, ET or if you're lucky Berkeley Steelstrand, some company's sell copper because its softer, it is but its also RUBBISH !

Why don't you twist the wire instead of using crimps?

It saves the cost of the crimps, and is probably as strong, if not stronger.

Put the wire through the swivel or clip (or hook) have an inch or two of tag end.
Clip some forceps onto the tag end and spin the forceps around while holding the swivel/clip/hook in one hand (sometimes easier if you use some forceps to hold it) and the main trace in your other hand.

Once you get good, you can spin it nice and fast and get it neat.

Once its wound up to the end of the tail, trim off the last bit, so the tag end is neat.

You can also use a rubber 'tail' to finish off the rig and keep everything neat and tidy if you want....

Steve

Why don't you twist the wire instead of using crimps?

It saves the cost of the crimps, and is probably as strong, if not stronger.

Put the wire through the swivel or clip (or hook) have an inch or two of tag end.
Clip some forceps onto the tag end and spin the forceps around while holding the swivel/clip/hook in one hand (sometimes easier if you use some forceps to hold it) and the main trace in your other hand.

Once you get good, you can spin it nice and fast and get it neat.

Once its wound up to the end of the tail, trim off the last bit, so the tag end is neat.

You can also use a rubber 'tail' to finish off the rig and keep everything neat and tidy if you want....

Steve

Tail rubber to finish off, now there's posh :)

Cheers guys , there are some diagrams on back of wire packet and think it shows this and also says to fuse the the nylon coating over a low flame

Last edited:
Back