• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

20220131_165511.jpg

The Hull in flood.

No bites all day then I get distracted by the sky and take a few photos, cue rod tip bouncing away on the screen 😂

It’s not a swim I chose to fish, just liked the composition. It screams perch but they’re not there.
I’ve never had much from there either. Some decent chub from the straight immediately above it but tbh it’s a long time since I fished that stretch and one thing’s for certain, the HA is never the same from one year to the next!

Dave

Looks very French to me. The bridge resembles the ones made to replace those blown up by the Resistance in 1944 in the lead up to D Day.

Looks very French to me. The bridge resembles the ones made to replace those blown up by the Resistance in 1944 in the lead up to D Day.
It is a French bridge, over the River Vienne. I have no idea if it replaced a destroyed bridge, but apparently this area was close to the Vichy france/ occupied France border. I am hoping to find out more of the history of that time of this area. Also am starting to explore the fishing in this area.

View attachment 17923
View attachment 17924

A day on the Vienne. The rain kept away and the air temp was 9 to 11C, water temp 6.5C. Outside of a bend. 2 metres shelving to 3.4m. I thought I would have had something, but despite surface activity here and there, no bites.
Snap! Same for me on the Lot yesterday!

Water temperature the same as with you, but I wonder if it was just near the surface. The 2c water temperatures of last week may still linger deeper, maybe why I spotted several fish moving on the surface as well! Very little flow on the river with the dams upstream letting little water out since last weeks flush of that very cold water.

Absolutely no bites over 4 hours fishing is most unusual here!

IMG_20220203_155400.jpg

Yes, it was the surface water temperature measured by the sonar I used to plot the bottom features. As it had been mild overrnight it would not have forced the surface temps down as it had last week. This stretch is at least 50km downstream of any barrages and flows over long stetches of shallows and rapids that will mix it up so should in theory be much the same temperature all down the water column.

There were sedges hatching and some of the splashes were possibly dace taking hatching flies. Those that avoided the dace got picked off by a grey wagtail hawking the slack below my peg.

It is a French bridge, over the River Vienne. I have no idea if it replaced a destroyed bridge, but apparently this area was close to the Vichy france/ occupied France border. I am hoping to find out more of the history of that time of this area. Also am starting to explore the fishing in this area.
Is that Ansac?

I
Yes it is. It is only 15 minutes from home and is one of the parts of the Vienne with relatively easy access close to home that I have found so far. I have had quite a few small Barbel from here and a couple of Carp.
The Vienne in that area is mostly shallow and there aren't many places where you can access it. I did an article for the Etcetera magazine last month that covers the Vienne. Ignore the photo. That is of the Charente. The editor got my photos mixed up.

The Charente was covered the previous month

If you are interested in the Resistance aspect in that area, there is a museum in the old quarter of Limoges and a Memorial at Chasseneuil. Most of the bridges in that area were blown up or attempts were made to destroy them in the summer of 1944. There are plaques near to bridges dedicated to those who died in those operations. There is also a memorial at Bassac bridge on the Charente marking the place whee Blondie Hassler and Bill Sparks met the Resistance who helped them return to England after the Cockleshell Heroes raid.

The Vienne in that area is mostly shallow and there aren't many places where you can access it. I did an article for the Etcetera magazine last month that covers the Vienne. Ignore the photo. That is of the Charente. The editor got my photos mixed up.

The Charente was covered the previous month

If you are interested in the Resistance aspect in that area, there is a museum in the old quarter of Limoges and a Memorial at Chasseneuil. Most of the bridges in that area were blown up or attempts were made to destroy them in the summer of 1944. There are plaques near to bridges dedicated to those who died in those operations. There is also a memorial at Bassac bridge on the Charente marking the place whee Blondie Hassler and Bill Sparks met the Resistance who helped them return to England after the Cockleshell Heroes raid.
Thanks Clive, some nice reading in your articles! 👍

Back