• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

Without doubt the best thread on the forum. For a minute or two each day I travel all over the UK and France. Keep ‘em coming lads some fantastic pictures 👍 A BIG thank you to Paul for asking for more pictures in the gallery way back in 2018 👏🏻

Without doubt the best thread on the forum. For a minute or two each day I travel all over the UK and France. Keep ‘em coming lads some fantastic pictures 👍 A BIG thank you to Paul for asking for more pictures in the gallery way back in 2018 👏🏻
Just as a matter of interest Bill, the two photos I posted on Tuesday are in the area of the Vienne closest to your friend's place that I mentioned before. About an hour away.

Just as a matter of interest Bill, the two photos I posted on Tuesday are in the area of the Vienne closest to your friend's place that I mentioned before. About an hour away.
Many thanks for the heads up Clive 👍

Davids Photo reminded me of this one, I took a quick snap of a friend using my iphone. You cannot see the river,which is just to the right behind the reeds, but it is the upper Wensum in Sept last year .

The lone angler.. with cane and pin.

BEC0280A-67BA-45A2-AA93-A05B7677F9C7.jpeg

David

Last edited:
A little drive alongside the river Cele, a tributary of the river Lot, this afternoon. Then a short walk produced these scenes.......

Cele Jan 22 e.jpg
Cele Jan 22 c.jpg
Cele Jan 22.jpg
Cele Jan 22 b.jpg

In the summer my wife swims here. Not today though, a few seconds dipping my fingers in the fast flowing water had them aching!

I love the Cele. It is a fabulous and very under rated river. It runs parallel to the larger Lot from Figeac to their confluence near to St Cirq Lapopie. There are some cracking chub in the town stretch at Figeac which incidentally has one of the best authentic street markets in France on a Saturdays. Along the way it passes through a valley that has caves that were inhabited for thousands of years and cave paintings can be seen at Cabrerets. If anyone is looking for a place to use as a base for hiking, cycling or just sight seeing, that is as good a place as you will find in France.

I needed to wet a line yesterday, even though I knew the fish would not bite. The forecast was for sun all day and, although the air would be very cold, if I could find a place out of the shade I would be cosy.......

Icy Lot.jpg

So I got some sun on my face for about four hours! Lovely view from the landing stage, sure that is ice floating down the shady side of the river.

The Entragues dam 50k upriver had been letting out a mass of water for the previous 24 hours, that would almost certainly be snow-melt. River temperature here was 2c and, of course, I caught nothing!

But who would care when feeling the warmth of that January sun, with a view that is exquisitely "La France profonde" :cool:

Seeing some of the stunning pics of French rivers, it reminded me of rivers in South Korea, when I first picked up fishing 3 1/2 years ago. If only at the time I had fully appreciated fishing for Barbel, it would have been amazing (I only lured fished for Black Bass at the time). To be specific the locals informed me they are only supposed to be Steed Barbel, which is amazing considering the size I was seeing was far larger than the max sizes I saw for this species on various online databases. Certainly were multiple doubles being caught by locals.

Below is an amazing view of a stretch where fishing is not permited. Well know for having a healthy population of barbel and carp.

1534346509921.jpg

Slightly further down stream a section packed with Barbel. In the bottom right of the pic, was a hole full with nearly a dozen sizeable fish, again not an area where you can fish, due to it's historical significance. The foot bridge is a replica of what was used in past centuries.

20190522_163403.jpg

The next two pictures are of a different stretch of the same river. It's barely fished due to only being accessible in a kayak or walking several miles in waders. The later option is the one I took; three days to recover from cramps 😅, I've never been more exhausted.
As I was seeking a local species called Sogarli, I was only lure fishing. If only I knew what I do now, I would have been after the Barbel that I found in abundance here.

20181016_144252-PANO.jpg

20181014_143554.jpg

The only fish I caught in a more accessible spot two days previously, was a small river carp while fishing for crappie on a drop shot with a plastic worm. On 4lb line this was one of my most memorable fights. Sorry for the the muddy condition of the fish; I was new to fishing and didn't have an unhooking mat (no one in Korea does that I'm aware of). For such a small fish, the fight seemed to never end as I coulndn't assert any pressure with the light line and UL rod (Daiwa Presso 0.5-5g).

20190609_135054.jpg

Sorry pics not the best, I only had a very cheap mobile phone at the time, but it's truly an amazing country. No matter how much locals catch and eat, the fish population is still healthy. Likely due to the very low river polution rates. If anyone ever visits, let me know and I can recommend some great spots.

That sluice is very familiar Stephen. Only problem with that section is it’s proximity to the Avon Valley Path!

Dave

Back