• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Photos of river scenes

Gt Ouse yesterday evening, had to wear a fleece once the sun dropped…autumn is on its way
IMG_0725.jpeg
IMG_0728.jpeg

Upper Bure yesterday. Beautiful Norfolk landscape. Sadly the barbel have long gone, but most other river species here including some sizeable brown trout!

View attachment 31449
I remember as a young whipper-snapper John Wilson telling my cousin and I on a visit to his shop in Norwich, that the Upper Bure held good fish but was hard as it was so gin clear and that we needed to scale things down with small hooks and light hook lengths and stealth. He gave us loads of advice and tips and even chucked some freebies in. He told us if we could catch them in the Upper Bure we could catch them anywhere in the broads. We felt like kings after catching some small dace and chublets!

I remember as a young whipper-snapper John Wilson telling my cousin and I on a visit to his shop in Norwich, that the Upper Bure held good fish but was hard as it was so gin clear and that we needed to scale things down with small hooks and light hook lengths and stealth. He gave us loads of advice and tips and even chucked some freebies in. He told us if we could catch them in the Upper Bure we could catch them anywhere in the broads. We felt like kings after catching some small dace and chublets!

what a great memory Joe . “we felt like kings “ i love that 😂😊

To coin a phrase Joe, to me, size really doesn't matter (!) When I trot the narrow, reed lined Upper Bure I am happy to catch anything.
On the morning I took that photo I caught chublets, dace, perch and even gudgeon. A deer was calling in the woods behind me (that "throaty" bark of theirs) I had kingfishers flashing past and buzzard overhead.
So what if my biggest fish didn't even top a pound! In my book, it doesn't get better than that!

To coin a phrase Joe, to me, size really doesn't matter (!) When I trot the narrow, reed lined Upper Bure I am happy to catch anything.
On the morning I took that photo I caught chublets, dace, perch and even gudgeon. A deer was calling in the woods behind me (that "throaty" bark of theirs) I had kingfishers flashing past and buzzard overhead.
So what if my biggest fish didn't even top a pound! In my book, it doesn't get better than that!
The Upper Bure Valley is a treasure. We used to fish it between Aylsham and Ingworth. Whichever stretch we were on you could always set your watch by seeing a barn owl at dusk.

Last edited:
Back