• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Penn BAITRUNNER

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi anyone tried the PENN FIERCE 3 live liner reels ?
2500 - 8000 is penn a good quality company ?

Hi anyone tried the PENN FIERCE 3 live liner reels ?
2500 - 8000 is penn a good quality company ?
Hi Adam,
I’ve a pair of the Penn Fierce 2 Live Liners which are the earlier version. I think the main difference is in the drag washers which on mine are oiled fibre washers but on the 3 version they are carbon.
I use the reels on The Trent and they have great “cranking” power retrieving 4-5 Oz leads and feeders which my Shimano 4000 OC’s winced at. They are same size as the Shimano’s and only a tad heavier (metal body) but nowhere as heavy as a Shimano 6000 or 8000 OC. They have a great front mounted clutch and very good runner adjustment. BUT they do NOT have a back wind facility you can only wind forward! They are of course designed and built for saltwater work in the US (Striped Bass, GT’s and the like) so can battle far harder fighting fish than our humble Barbel. Mine have stiffened up slightly which I think is the grease and are in need of a service but would I recommend them…..YES !!
Regards
Bill
PS…Penn have been about for years and are US based. I used to use a Penn Multiplier Reel when I beach fished. Quality Company?….YES

Hi Adam,
I’ve a pair of the Penn Fierce 2 Live Liners which are the earlier version. I think the main difference is in the drag washers which on mine are oiled fibre washers but on the 3 version they are carbon.
I use the reels on The Trent and they have great “cranking” power retrieving 4-5 Oz leads and feeders which my Shimano 4000 OC’s winced at. They are same size as the Shimano’s and only a tad heavier (metal body) but nowhere as heavy as a Shimano 6000 or 8000 OC. They have a great front mounted clutch and very good runner adjustment. BUT they do NOT have a back wind facility you can only wind forward! They are of course designed and built for saltwater work in the US (Striped Bass, GT’s and the like) so can battle far harder fighting fish than our humble Barbel. Mine have stiffened up slightly which I think is the grease and are in need of a service but would I recommend them…..YES !!
Regards
Bill
PS…Penn have been about for years and are US based. I used to use a Penn Multiplier Reel when I beach fished. Quality Company?….YES
Hi Bill if you wanted to upgrade the washers on yours to the carbon ice washers you can buy them on ebay, they're a doddle to replace, I've done all my shimanos

For another alternative look at the Okuma Aventa baitfeeders in 5000-6000 size.

I've bought a pair and prefer them over my £260 Shimano 5500 LC CI4+ baitrunners. And they were only £80 each, fantastically smooth drag and great cranking power, also backed by a 5 year warranty.

Hi Adam,
Regards
Bill

Thanks Bill ! 👍

How do the spool sizes compare to say Shimano or Daiwa, for example the 6000 size.
Adam, what size spool is on the 4000 in comparison to a 6000 Shimano GTE Baitrunner.

Hi Bill , I just bought a pair of PEN FIERCE 4000 3 for £130 the pair from fishernator 👍
Crikey that’s a good price Adam. You’ll be using them in a day or two 😁

How do the spool sizes compare to say Shimano or Daiwa, for example the 6000 size.
Adam, what size spool is on the 4000 in comparison to a 6000 Shimano GTE Baitrunner.
Hi Phil , not sure on size comparison ?? But I understand the 4000 is about same size as 4000oc

Do you mean the physical sizes Phil or the line capacity? I don’t know the size of the 6000 GTE spool but happy to measure the Penn spool for you !?

Do you mean the physical sizes Phil or the line capacity? I don’t know the size of the 6000 GTE spool but happy to measure the Penn spool for you !?
Physical size mainly as I tend to use the Shimano GTE's in either 6000 or 8000 size on the Trent due to distance and lead / PVA bagged pellet weight considerations.

Physical size mainly as I tend to use the Shimano GTE's in either 6000 or 8000 size on the Trent due to distance and lead / PVA bagged pellet weight considerations.
Hi Phil,
The overall length of spool (including the skirt is 48mm x 52mm dia at the lip. The length of area which holds the line is 20mm. I can’t measure the depth as I have backing on my spools but stated line capacity is 200m of .31mm line.
Gear ratio is 6.2:1 which I’m sure gives it its “cranking” power.
Hope this helps,
Regards
Bill

Last edited:
Not sure why Penn made them this way, without a back wind, I have Liveliner very solid , all metal but heavy as Hell.
I know what you mean Neil. I had a Slammer 460LL, incredibly solid and weighed quite a bit. I sold because I didn’t like the balance of it on my rod but by heck it was built !!

Back