• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pellet size.

Simon Archer

Senior Member & Supporter
I have a large bucket that I keep my pellets in. I tend to throw any left over ones in there, and there's quite a mixture now. I then make up some PVA mesh bags and use them for the hook or onto the lead via a bag clip. All sizes, ranging from 2mm up to 8mm, different types and flavours.

Are the 2mm a little on the small size for Barbel fishing on the Trent ??

I have a large bucket that I keep my pellets in. I tend to throw any left over ones in there, and there's quite a mixture now. I then make up some PVA mesh bags and use them for the hook or onto the lead via a bag clip. All sizes, ranging from 2mm up to 8mm, different types and flavours.

I would make them into a paste and wrap them round my hook bait. Saves wasting them and it adds an extra dimension to your hookbait

Just the right size for Kamasan Black Cap feeder, if you were trying a smaller offering, but with a higher frequency of casting - every 20 minutes. Might no work on every stretch, but on a well populated peg it does work. I would still use them when fishing a PVA bag, as Richard says gets stuck in all the cracks and crannies, less likely to be swept downstream than larger pellets giving a grazing area and a bait 'stream' for the Barbel to follow upstream.

And how old and how were they stored? if in a container with large volume of air, ie half empty bucket.... The pellets have a risk of going rancid and are harmful to the fish. I was having a conversation with John Baker two days ago; who if you are interested, is in pain after a shoulder operation; about the storage of baits. I appreciate that he is a bait supplier, but I believe him to be one of the good ones; and he said that even base mixes if opened from the sealed bags, even if kept as best you can.... SIX months is the best you should give them before throwing it away, unless you made it up and froze the bait. John is talking about quality bait, not pellets. The crap that goes into pellets; with their HIGH oil content and suspect ingredients sourced from third world country rivers with massive pollution from banned chemicals!!!!!
So, whatever the size of bait; if you care about your fishing, and hope for it to continue into the future; seriously think about not using the pellets full- stop.

And how old and how were they stored? if in a container with large volume of air, ie half empty bucket.... The pellets have a risk of going rancid and are harmful to the fish. I was having a conversation with John Baker two days ago; who if you are interested, is in pain after a shoulder operation; about the storage of baits. I appreciate that he is a bait supplier, but I believe him to be one of the good ones; and he said that even base mixes if opened from the sealed bags, even if kept as best you can.... SIX months is the best you should give them before throwing it away, unless you made it up and froze the bait. John is talking about quality bait, not pellets. The crap that goes into pellets; with their HIGH oil content and suspect ingredients sourced from third world country rivers with massive pollution from banned chemicals!!!!!
So, whatever the size of bait; if you care about your fishing, and hope for it to continue into the future; seriously think about not using the pellets full- stop.
Quite agree with all that Paul.
While I stand by my first post stating they are ideal in size for keeping Barbel occupied, I am with you 100% that they are filled with oil and crap and they don’t do the fish any favours at all.

They're mainly course pellets from decent manufactures, Sonubaits, Sticky baits, 3FT, with only a few halibuts thrown in. They're left over from when I've fished the odd match here and there, or used them when I've fished for Carp.

I just thought the 2mm being light, would be off downstream sharpish in the fast current rather than staying near the hook.

They're mainly course pellets from decent manufactures, Sonubaits, Sticky baits, 3FT, with only a few halibuts thrown in. They're left over from when I've fished the odd match here and there, or used them when I've fished for Carp.

I just thought the 2mm being light, would be off downstream sharpish in the fast current rather than staying near the hook.
I am not sure any of the companies you mention, will look scientifically into the ingredients they source, and to be truthful, I doubt if many or any do; they are interested in making a bait cheaply and in their mind as nutritious as the can within the price.
The business model of most bait firms is a short term profit against the health of the fish. So again I would advice strongly against using old bait.

I won't be throwing away any bases mixes after six months. Essentially that would be throwing money down the drain. I would have thought a powder kept in a cool and dry environment would have a longer life.
I think John's 'bait supplier' mechanism kicked in there.
Richard. Do you keep food in you food cupboard longer than the sell by? If we worry about our health in what we eat, should we not take the same are towards the fish we catch, or not catch but just feed.
Richard a lot of the baits we buy now are just throwing money down the drain anyway. The quality is terrible and catches us the angler as well as the fish.

I won't be throwing away any bases mixes after six months. Essentially that would be throwing money down the drain. I would have thought a powder kept in a cool and dry environment would have a longer life.
I think John's 'bait supplier' mechanism kicked in there.
keep your sealed base mixes in the freezer Rich and when you open one keep that in the fridge.
My last batch of bait from John has actually come in thick silver lined resealable bags which is brilliant and will definitely help keep for longer.

keep your sealed base mixes in the freezer Rich and when you open one keep that in the fridge.
My last batch of bait from John has actually come in thick silver lined resealable bags which is brilliant and will definitely help keep for longer.
Does JB recommend freezing base mix ? I don’t have much freezer room (bottom shelf only and that’s now half full with the bait you sent me )
could probably get away with keeping an opened bag in the fridge
buying a kilo at a time becomes very expensive with p&p

Does JB recommend freezing base mix ? I don’t have much freezer room (bottom shelf only and that’s now half full with the bait you sent me )
could probably get away with keeping an opened bag in the fridge
buying a kilo at a time becomes very expensive with p&p
If your going to keep it longer than 6 months John said to me it’s perfectly safe to freeze

If you put them in with a dropper or feeder on the bottom then a lot of them will get held up and find their way into all the crevices on the river bed. They actually stand more chance of staying their than your 8mm’s do.
It’s deadly for barbel because they ain’t big enough to fill em up quickly but they’ll stay there for ages trying to dig em out…… hopefully long enough to find your well presented hook bait Si 👍🏻

There's only about 6 kilos in the air tight bucket, so I think I'll just chuck them all away. I'm not even going to feed them to the birds for fear of killing them. I've got about 50 pre tied mesh bags too, they'll have to go as well.

Richard. Do you keep food in you food cupboard longer than the sell by? If we worry about our health in what we eat, should we not take the same are towards the fish we catch, or not catch but just feed.
Richard a lot of the baits we buy now are just throwing money down the drain anyway. The quality is terrible and catches us the angler as well as the fish.
Paul - don't be ridiculous and ever so slightly condescending. Did I say slightly? Dried food in powder form lasts for ages. Yes, I'd happily bake a loaf of bread with flour past its 'use by' date. We (as a culture) are just a little quick to throw perfectly edible food away, all because of date labels.

You're quite welcome to live your life of conformity, Paul, but please don't try to push it onto those who know better!

Few cans of tuna in the cupboard with best before end 2026!!! Sealed packs can keep for ages if kept sealed,,,,, and nothing wrong with pellet, if its good enough for aquaculture and salmon and trout farming,,etc etc wich is then passed on to human diet,, who am i to argue its not good enough for bait????? Surely its better than processed pork and some of the crap that goes into boilie mixes, imo,
Regards

7781B196-BD81-410D-9F98-4EC5A0401D1A.jpeg

8E83C49A-89CE-4A94-BB6E-F70B1C7937C8.jpeg

I’ve just had two of these, hope I’ll be alright ??

Back