• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Paste cages

Frankly just shut up the pair of you. paste cages. get back to discussing them
if you have something to settle do it by PM.

Roman are you a mod?

RE landing net pole thread your discussing spelling ffs so take your own advice.

I was having a discusion with Adrian if you fdont like it dont read

End of...

Roman, you have a bit of a history of telling people what to do, has someone made you a moderator and forgotten to mention it on your profile?
If I wish to keep countering Brian's preposterous theories and accusations it is my right to do so however as it appears Brian could be like a few women I have known and dumped and will always demand the last word I will take your advice (and my own in a pm you should have received) and ignore him from now on.

No im not a mod but im entitled to my own opinion on whats going on, just as you are, apologies please feel free to continue to hijack a thread by bickering about pike. I was actually entertained by the topic of paste cage manufacture. but Hey what do I know.

Roman

The bickering, as you put it was about the safety of using another piece of metal other than the hook close to the fishes face, everything else was illustrating the argument.
You could have taken your own advice and gone to pm rather than shouting the odds, or you could have put a post on giving your own thoughts on paste cages and ignored the side discussion.
If a thread has gone off topic bfw has a team of moderators who are perfectly able to take what action is needed to recover it or if needed to close it down. They don't need any self appointed moderators, If you have a problem with a thread then a pm to a mod to bring it to their attention is all which is needed.

That's my last word on this subject and the end of my self appointed moderator role.

Chinning a pike might be the macho way of doing the job but in the future people are going to look at some of these old videos and say what the hell were they doing?
Let me ask you this, would you chin any other species of fish?

A pike is a long fish for its weight and by chinning it you are removing it from an environment where it is weightless but surrounded by a fluid into air and allowing it to kick against nothing. All that weight is now supported by a skeletal structure which is not evolved to be weight bearing. This is almost certain to be causing damage to the vertebrae and internal structures. It is my long held belief that the safest way to handle a pike is just like any other skeletal fish and that is by using a landing net.

The reason people give for chinning pike is because flying trebles have a habit of getting caught in the mesh of the net making unhooking difficult, to me that is rubbish. Most people these days use barbless or semi barbed trebles so hooks tangling in nets is not such a problem, if you use a net with a rubberised mesh it is not a problem at all.

But we've all seen Matt Hayes triumphantly heaving a 20 pounder out of the water by its chin; and who doesn't think it looks macho? Hell I've even done it myself; and got the pictures to prove it.

There is a long history of big pike being caught once and then never been seen again, there are loads of theories for this but I personally think that many of them are simply victims of bad handling.

As far as I'm concerned if anything needs outlawing it is the practice of chinning pike.

I agree completely.

Without wishing to get embroiled in the squabbling, or wishing to fall victim to a knee jerk reaction, I was pondering a situation whereby the bait with embedded coil becomes detached from your main gear, be it as a result of a crack off, being lost in a snag, hair breakage, bite off....whatever....and a barbel swallows it.

Now before you say it, I can envisage a swallowed hook making it's way through a fishes gut with a bit of luck, because of it's shape and only one pointy bit. However, a coil spring, which will be automatically aligned because of it's shape, as it passes down the tube that is a cyprinids gut....with a pointy bit to dig in at each end? In all honesty, I can imagine that if you were asked to design something guaranteed to block that type of narrow, tubular gut....a wire coil with pointy bits at each end would come close to the top of the list.

It is possible that nothing of that nature would make it past the munching of the pharyngeal teeth, that it would be rejected (if it could eject such a thing?). However, considering they swallow partly munched mussel, snail and crayfish shells, I wouldn't guarantee it. Also, being cyprinids, they have no stomach...and therefore produce no hydrochloric acid like some other fish, to possibly dissolve the metal.

I don't know, may be that I worry too much :D But it is point.....isn't it? (or two points, in this instance :p)

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, methinks you have too much time on your hands. The situation you have described would probably be fatal, however the chances of anything getting past the pharyngeals and making it to the gut are pretty slim.

Sorry david,re read your post and seen that you already considered rejection as more likely.Post deleted.

Last edited:
Dave, methinks you have too much time on your hands. The situation you have described would probably be fatal, however the chances of anything getting past the pharyngeals and making it to the gut are pretty slim.

Not too sure that you are right about the chances of such a thing getting past the pharyngeals being slim Ade. As you rightly point out (here and elsewhere) I do have too much time on my hands, due to much reduced fishing time of late. So...my experience of fishing for barbel is much less extensive than yours (a few years only in fact) but my experience of fishing for other cyprinids is more extensive...for carp in particular. I have seen carp pass fairly large pieces of assorted prey shell, stones, whole large tiger nuts, various other nuts, beans and pulses....all 'un-munched' :D You name it, I have probably had it on my unhooking mat over the years, amongst the other poo! So...cyprinids do NOT necessarily reject anything that they can't munch with their pharyngeal teeth...and possibly don't even attempt to chew everything. In my experience, they and other fish do swallow some extraordinary....and seemingly inexplicable things at times.

Dunno....like you say, I think too much :p

Cheers, Dave.

The paste cages are good, as a slight modification I glue a small piece of cork inside to help stop it getting crushed and also balances the weight of the paste to any freebies offered I believe. I suppose its really no different than using a corkball....Just depends what you fancy.

Back