• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Paste cages

Stuart Linton

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all,new to the forum and need some ideas.Looking for items to use as a cage to mould paste in and around.Can be an already formed everyday item or something I can make myself.I know Korum make paste cages but they don't seem to last and I'd rather have fifty for two quid not six.All ideas appreciated.

Why not hair rig a 6mm pellet and rap paste around it instead ?

Try shaping some cork this helps counterbalance it too!

I have the paste cages and they look ok to me.

Brian

Cheers guys,the reason it must be a cage is so that there is still some paste left on the inside after the crays have had a go.Hair rollers might be worth a shout though.Did also think about small springs,anyone tried this?any good suppliers out there?
Brian,I found braided hooklinks cut through the plastic too easily.

dinsmore do a paste bomb in different sizes. although designed for comersials,i fasten these to my main main lead with lead wire.
i also wrap my pellets in paste , so getting double attraction....works ok for me....;)

Yep Dinsmores do them. I picked up a couple of small ones's from Go Outdoors in the Sale before Christmas. But seemed to have misplaced them I am sure I put them in my sock drawer :)

Don't you guys that put paste round feeders suffer from the barbel picking up that rather than the hook bait? I've never done it so I've no idea, but I have seen a barbel pick up the lump of plasticine when rolling meat.

Sorry,should of added this for paste hookbaits.Paste bombs may hinder natural hookbait movement somewhat :)

Don't you guys that put paste round feeders suffer from the barbel picking up that rather than the hook bait? I've never done it so I've no idea, but I have seen a barbel pick up the lump of plasticine when rolling meat.

Never knowingly suffered with this problem but only use the "method" in coloured water,so have no visual evidence.I would imagine rolling meat has more of a visual aspect to it and in a do or die situation anything will be initially picked up in the flow.Can't remember where I read or heard about it but did'nt someone suffer bites from fish taking shot rather than the hemp hookbait whilst trotting?

Try and get hold of some wooden clothes line pegs, throw the wooden bits away, and your left with the little springs, ( cut the 2 little arms off ), you can then hair rig, fill, and mould paste around, worth a try. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Wooden...7R22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357625860&sr=8-3

£2.59 for 100.

derek-funcks-albums-pics-picture4240-wooden-pegs.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I use personally. Also you can cut the last coil off, so one end resembles a wine bottle opener and you can screw it into meat when using hair rigs.

Genius.Liking them apples :)

Try and get hold of some wooden clothes line pegs, throw the wooden bits away, and your left with the little springs, ( cut the 2 little arms off ), you can then hair rig, fill, and mould paste around, worth a try. :)

Mini Wooden Pegs, Plain, 100pk: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

£2.59 for 100.

That's the sort thing I'm looking for,thanks.
Any other ideas also welcome.

To make the spring types wrap any old bit of wire round any old former, a pencil or a nail will work fine depending on what diameter you want, You can then form a loop on one end to tie to the hair and cut them to length.
Like Sam said, screw it into meat baits or form your paste round it.

If it is a flavour trail you are looking for via the paste try a tiny feeder, shape a piece of foam to fit inside, soak the foam in your chosen flavour, squeezing with forceps in a tub of flavour works best, put your hookbait in some bait mesh and the crays can try all they like, they won't get the bugger off the hook ! They will still move your bait about but it will remain attached...................

Blimey,so far on my shopping list I've got cloths pegs,hair rollers and big blue earings.How suspect am I going to look in the shopping queue.What sort of wire do you use to form coils?

If it is a flavour trail you are looking for via the paste try a tiny feeder, shape a piece of foam to fit inside, soak the foam in your chosen flavour, squeezing with forceps in a tub of flavour works best, put your hookbait in some bait mesh and the crays can try all they like, they won't get the bugger off the hook ! They will still move your bait about but it will remain attached...................

More just for hookbaits.A cage feeder construction would be perfect if it came in say a 10mm diameter.

The wire I use is is Some I found on a building site and is actually an off cut from a length of thick wire cable, however, the ladies in the family tell me similar stuff is sold for flower arranging and the gardeners keep pinching it for tying plants up.

this is the wire with a reel for scale

004-3_zps3dc84d80.jpg

and this is a tied up rig, this one is a meat rig on a number 4 hook. Note the heat shrink.

002-3_zps25fe8fb2.jpg

I think the oils from the meat have made the meat spring go black.

You can of course add as many coils as you like and make it any diameter you like according to what you use as a former.

Last edited:
I tried paste springs back last year although successful in catching fish the amount of times the coil snagged in the landing net and came unsprung was not good. I am not sure it could cause possible additional damage to the mouth of a fish. I have gone to plastic since.

Brian

Back