• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otter petition.

Hi men ,

This week I was offered after a long wait , a place on a quality syndicate , somewhere with 50 - 60 thirtys in it , with the best well over 40lb . The first question I asked was not the cost ( lots of £££££ ) , the first question was IS IT OTTER FENCED ?.

Hatter

Glad to see it was the Government's action on banning pesticides that drove the recovery in the otter population. Nothing to do with the reintroduction of the species then...!?!?

Dave

"There have been no reintroductions of otters by conservation groups since the late 1990s and the bulk of the recovery of the otter has been through natural re-colonisation."

Says it right there, I know many disagree with this but I've yet to see anyone come up with any evidence to the contrary.

I understand people's frustration but I don't know what other response anyone expected, we've been over this for about 20 years.

got the email reply today too, its very clear the government see no problem on our rivers although they do acknowledge potential problems on stillwaters and AT funding for otter fences.

Glad to see it was the Government's action on banning pesticides that drove the recovery in the otter population. Nothing to do with the reintroduction of the species then...!?!?

Dave

To be honest all the limited reintroductions did, was speed up a natural recolonization process, which was already underway. The problem is that the Otters now finds itself in a very different environment, to that of a 60+ years ago!

where's the evidence for the dwindling fish stocks? and anglers are voting with there own feet when it comes to fishing on commercials.
My opinion is based on what I've witnessed with my own eyes and ears on venues I fish. You may not have witnessed any of the three P's on your venues,which if true is a good thing. As for commercial fisheries I meant on a spiritual level,natural waterways of course being the home of real angling,not sanitised,homogenized,boring fishing. Don't get me wrong I've occasionally fished commies,but only during the closed season....now there's another debate.

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “For the introduction of non-lethal means of control of the Otter (Lutra- lutra)”.
Government responded:
While the Government understand concerns raised about the impact otters may have on fish populations, they are a protected species and there are no plans to introduce methods to control their numbers​
The Government understands that there are concerns that otters may have adverse impacts on fish populations and wildlife more generally but we do not accept that the otter ‘has become a detriment to the river environment’.​
Mainly as a result of the banning of certain pesticides, otters are now once more present in each county in England. They are an important indicator of the great strides we have made in improving our waterways, with more than 5,300 miles of rivers being improved since 2010. There have been no reintroductions of otters by conservation groups since the late 1990s and the bulk of the recovery of the otter has been through natural re-colonisation.​
A healthy otter population results from favourable conditions in the natural environment, including water quality and the availability of prey (including fish), as well as availability of breeding sites. Otters are found at low density, and limit their own populations through territorial activity. Carrying capacity is determined by environmental conditions.​
There is no evidence to suggest that otters have a major impact on wildlife as a whole, and although localised impacts could occur where otters have not been previously present for some time, they are a natural part of the freshwater ecosystem and we believe these systems will adapt to the return of the natural top predator.​
We do recognise that otters can in some instances impact on still water fisheries, which is why there is provision through the Angling Improvement Fund (AIF), administered by the Angling Trust on the Environment Agency’s behalf, to help deliver improvements including projects to protect fisheries from otter predation through the erection of otter-proof fencing. Further information can be found on the Angling Trust website at: www.anglingtrust.net.​
Otters are a protected species and it is an offence to harm capture, kill, disturb or injure any animal and/or damage, destroy or obstruct their resting or sheltering places. Therefore any methods of control, including non-lethal methods, would constitute an offence. A licence may be granted by Natural England to catch and move an otter trapped inside a suitably otter-proof fenced fishery to prevent loss of fish stocks.​
Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs​
Click this link to view the response online:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/209735?reveal_response=yes
The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.
The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee
Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Improved to what standard?

This kind of reinforcements what was said the other week. You must approach the situation inversely to the current. Essentially you have to prove that fish stocks are failing, then why, then act. It would appear that many environmentalists/government are too busy patting their own backs using the otter as a barometer (which in my opinion is a poor methodology) too see/admit that there is a larger environmental concern.

Hi men

Funny , after my post about being offered a syndicate place I hear on the grapevine that places are up because the fencing issue . Before paying the equivilant of the price of a second hand car people need some sort of assurances , I do.

I felt the same about our Kennet section , which is why when Sue had an otter wizzing around her swim chasing fish on her baited spot we were lucky enough to stop the cheque . Her heart would not let her put her beloved barbel in that position again . Upset her so much she has given up fishing .

Hatter

Last edited:
Bob. After my brother told me of the Amazing numbers of barbel and chub at Bigglewade he had seen in a strictly private stretch if the Ivel I managed to make the journey 2 years later.
It was devoid of fish. As Bob Horngold told me later. Otters.

Re the other links. Are the AT holding their Riverfest that way this year rather than the Wye?

Re the petition.

Quelle Suprise.

Hi men,

Rhys, you can almost jump across the river in places , where the barbel loved to live you could walk across in wellies , and at no point would you need to "cast" , so the comparison is a very long way out . My mate fished it for a long while , not just for the barbel , he aint bothered this season even though he can walk there , so there must be a good reason for that.

Hattet

Fair enough, I think the point I'm trying to make is that rivers can come back pretty quick. It does puzzle me however how some rivers are more affected than others, even the smaller ones.

Hi men,

Rhys , just trying to convay the situation on a smaller waterway , where it seems the effects seem more drastic , and rapid . Thats not to say there are no fish , there are barbel , and my mate is perch fishing , but for sure many have moved on . We are living through some difficult times , after writing and talking to the EA in the early 2000's have yet to see any answers for rivers other than time , and seeing how it pans out . Pore fish in and hope might bring through some fish in the end , and fencing still waters is a answer for some , but many are left to fend for themselves due to costs .

Hatter

Back