• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otter petition.

Hi men,

https://www.facebook.com/OxfordAPG/

I went to this , a debt i ow the lake i fished late 70/80's means i will try and help in any way , the event raised over 7,000 to help shure up the fence that was put up by a band of volenteer's off their own backs , and the group will go on after helping Marlborough onto other waters in that area.

And yes thats a young hatter in the video with the great Nelson .

Hatter

Well that's it then - Still water barbel on a water with otter fencing is the way to go in the future. :eek::p

Well that's it then - Still water barbel on a water with otter fencing is the way to go in the future. :eek::p
Perhaps as an endangered species you might not be too far off the mark. We incarcerate other creatures when their natural habitat has become compromised. Another man-made catastrophe.

20180224_105345.png

I am just curious to know if any one really believed that by signing this petition that this government or any government of the future is going to allow the control of Otters ? I would of thought the time and effort would of been better spent in forming a pressure group to do some thing about the water being pumped / Released back in to our rivers and waterways by the water company's ? What little I know about nature I would assume a healthy river can sustain all species of native fish and mammals along its river bank . Its only when man comes along and interferes with the balance of nature that things go wrong . Sorry to sound so negative , I think its a battle we wont or cant win until all the interested party's come together and speak with one voice and get the water company's to do some thing about what they discharge in to our rivers and waterways . Then the next problem is . Who is going to pay for it ?

I don't think that's negative Joe but the way forward. You're quite right that our rivers should be able to support all species.

I am just curious to know if any one really believed that by signing this petition that this government or any government of the future is going to allow the control of Otters ? I would of thought the time and effort would of been better spent in forming a pressure group to do some thing about the water being pumped / Released back in to our rivers and waterways by the water company's ? What little I know about nature I would assume a healthy river can sustain all species of native fish and mammals along its river bank . Its only when man comes along and interferes with the balance of nature that things go wrong . Sorry to sound so negative , I think its a battle we wont or cant win until all the interested party's come together and speak with one voice and get the water company's to do some thing about what they discharge in to our rivers and waterways . Then the next problem is . Who is going to pay for it ?
Nice idea Joe,but I think that would be the hardest problem of all to fix. Money talks,and corruption rules the world unfortunately. We live on a small island with an ever growing population,massively compounded by economic migration. All the countries resources have been beaten into submission,the road network,rail network,nhs etc etc,all because of over population,it's all not fit for purpose. As a consequence of human greed wildlife issues year on year become less of a priority,they simply get in the way of man's out of control progress. Then with nature struggling to cope with man's unadulterated impact some absolute cretins decide to release a highly intelligent apex predator into an already volatile situation.

Nice idea Joe,but I think that would be the hardest problem of all to fix. Money talks,and corruption rules the world unfortunately. We live on a small island with an ever growing population,massively compounded by economic migration. All the countries resources have been beaten into submission,the road network,rail network,nhs etc etc,all because of over population,it's all not fit for purpose. As a consequence of human greed wildlife issues year on year become less of a priority,they simply get in the way of man's out of control progress. Then with nature struggling to cope with man's unadulterated impact some absolute cretins decide to release a highly intelligent apex predator into an already volatile situation.

I think you are right Mark in what you say and I fear for the future of this green and pleasant land . As you say Mark the hardest problem to fix . Thats why I suggested if all the interested party's could come together and spoke with one voice , Then maybe some thing could be done about the state our rivers are in .

I am afraid that there are no votes to be had by cutting into water companies profits or the shareholders dividends.

Who is going to pay for it? in the end it will be the customers of the water companies that will but only if the companies are forced by law to use the already available technology to screen out diffuse pollutants and the government stop allowing the legal discharging of raw sewage into our rivers, without anything happening it will be our rivers and wildlife that will pay the highest price though.

It seems that the barbel society, rich frampton and des Taylor believed it would do something....what that was I don't know. but I think because they are so blinkered to angling as a whole the insular bubble they perhaps gather in made them lose a grip of reality. It would be interesting to hear what there response is to the government response. I signed it out of frustration that my angling over the last few months as been constantly interrupted by otters bathing in my swim but I was fully realistic of the outcome of the petition.

Joe, why would we need to form a pressure group? We already have the angling trust and fish legal to support angling's concerns however the vast majority of anglers are too apathetic to join or worst still come out with excuses to why they shouldn't. You have your local fisheries consultative you can attend and the regional forums, if they were better attended that's where you have direct links to the EA, CRT and anyone else you want to vent your splean to.

Ultimately rivers are protected by the water framework directive and it's quite obvious a lot of rivers are failing on that respective, the only group that seems to care about this is anglers but unfortunately we do very little at a local level do anything about it and ultimately we end up pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

It seems that the barbel society, rich frampton and des Taylor believed it would do something....what that was I don't know. but I think because they are so blinkered to angling as a whole the insular bubble they perhaps gather in made them lose a grip of reality. It would be interesting to hear what there response is to the government response. I signed it out of frustration that my angling over the last few months as been constantly interrupted by otters bathing in my swim but I was fully realistic of the outcome of the petition.

Joe, why would we need to form a pressure group? We already have the angling trust and fish legal to support angling's concerns however the vast majority of anglers are too apathetic to join or worst still come out with excuses to why they shouldn't. You have your local fisheries consultative you can attend and the regional forums, if they were better attended that's where you have direct links to the EA, CRT and anyone else you want to vent your splean to.

Ultimately rivers are protected by the water framework directive and it's quite obvious a lot of rivers are failing on that respective, the only group that seems to care about this is anglers but unfortunately we do very little at a local level do anything about it and ultimately we end up pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

There’s a lot of very good observations in your post Jason. There do seem to be pockets of resistance though. I randomly read articles or see references to action taken by some local clubs and societies but your general point around apathy is probably accurate. I think many people signed the petition out of frustration rather than because they necessarily agreed with the approach. Arguably, the BS were just exhibiting the same sentiment.

It’s a bit depressing to see such a disproportionate focus on otters, especially on social media. On FB, Steve Double posted a link to a recent statement/report by the EA concerning issues around water quality/extraction etc which ought to have sparked much greater debate and comment than it did. There needs to be far more balance in the discussion. And this whole campaign of casting the otter as some sort of river terrorist going through a deliberate sequence of psychotic episodes and blood thirsty killing sprees is a bit silly. They are just doing what they need to do to survive. And curating a picture gallery of dead fish to prove that otters eat fish is depressingly futile.

Joe, why would we need to form a pressure group? w You have your local fisheries consultative you can attend and the regional forums, if they were better attended that's where you have direct links to the EA, CRT and anyone else you want to vent your splean to.

Jason why do you think that anglers reasons for not joining the trust are "excuses" I was a member I no longer am a member and have valid reasons for not joining again, if you would like to hear those reasons please let me know and I will PM you, to list them on here will I feel only lead to a distraction from the thread.

There’s a lot of very good observations in your post Jason. There do seem to be pockets of resistance though. I randomly read articles or see references to action taken by some local clubs and societies but your general point around apathy is probably accurate. I think many people signed the petition out of frustration rather than because they necessarily agreed with the approach. Arguably, the BS were just exhibiting the same sentiment.

It’s a bit depressing to see such a disproportionate focus on otters, especially on social media. On FB, Steve Double posted a link to a recent statement/report by the EA concerning issues around water quality/extraction etc which ought to have sparked much greater debate and comment than it did. There needs to be far more balance in the discussion. And this whole campaign of casting the otter as some sort of river terrorist going through a deliberate sequence of psychotic episodes and blood thirsty killing sprees is a bit silly. They are just doing what they need to do to survive. And curating a picture gallery of dead fish to prove that otters eat fish is depressingly futile.

Jason why do you think that anglers reasons for not joining the trust are "excuses" I was a member I no longer am a member and have valid reasons for not joining again, if you would like to hear those reasons please let me know and I will PM you, to list them on here will I feel only lead to a distraction from the thread.

Jason you ask the question '' Why the need to form a pressure group '' My answer to that is . That all the other groups you mentioned have not worked .

Back