• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otter petition

I agree Craig. The damage that otters inflict is undeniable and a fish kill is the most tangible and immediate representation of predation and decline- it's heart breaking. It naturally creates a highly emotional response and I have no doubt that otters have been responsible for decimating stocks on a number of rivers. But I can't help but think that this masks much deeper issues for those rivers around recruitment and that by focusing efforts in those areas, it should be possible for a river system to find an appropriate balance. I know many people get irritated by the word "balance" in this sort of context but I think it is already playing out in the UK. I do recall reading that UK otters live much shorter lives than their European relatives in other countries. Less to eat means greater movement to locate food sources meaning greater conflict between otters as they battle over territories. Greater movement also brings otters into conflict with roads (a battle they nearly always lose). Lower food supplies also, critically, means less cubs being born. So overall, slower growth overall in otter numbers.

It may be seen as perverse but arguably, those that wish to see otters flourish should be just as concerned as anglers about dwindling fish stocks and with less fish to eat where will otters turn-birds/ducks etc? Wouldn't that be of concern to the RSPB? There are many stakeholders here and that thread of unity should, in turn, breed some degree of collaboration.

craig, singling out and cull a protected species was eventually allowed after great devastation mate, they,re called cormorants,
angling aint the big picture to exert real pressure with but with elections coming up in the near future are! our votes as anglers and our family and friends votes are, especially when they come in millions

Cormorants are ugly , otters are pretty , plus have you seen the paperwork you have to fill in to allow you to go out and slug a few cormorants ? . As others have said very eloquently ANY call to cull otters is doomed to failure , it is not a vote catcher , political parties of whatever hue are not even slightly interested in this topic

Back