• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otter petition

Well meaning but a waste of time . Fencing in rivers ? Any political party adopting a control of otters stance would be commiting political hari Kari . Jo public are firmly of the view that otters are nice creatures that need to be encouraged , Kate Humble has told them so .

Why is it that every otter petition is always so poorly written? Surely for something that means so much to so many there is a word-smith capable of something better than what we get served up about once a year?

Why don't the bloody PAG do one? (A petition that is). Their website has not been updated since 2012. If I had ever given them any money I would consider it a massive waste.

Well meaning but a waste of time . Fencing in rivers ? Any political party adopting a control of otters stance would be commiting political hari Kari . Jo public are firmly of the view that otters are nice creatures that need to be encouraged , Kate Humble has told them so .

Hence it hasn't received many signatures...and i am not sure this is the best way forward as if you search site there is a petition decrying Sport England for funding the Angling Trust. Research as noted in another thread is needed but so is some form of stance such as a boycott by all anglers of paying the license for one year would make the news, of course AT cannot do this as they are funded partly from tax payers money.

Does read very poorly and as such not something I would see as the right place to make a point about Otters. Better through AT or at least some formal body who can draft something a bit more convincing.

Hence it hasn't received many signatures...and i am not sure this is the best way forward as if you search site there is a petition decrying Sport England for funding the Angling Trust. Research as noted in another thread is needed but so is some form of stance such as a boycott by all anglers of paying the license for one year would make the news, of course AT cannot do this as they are funded partly from tax payers money.

I'd happily support a boycott on the waste of money that is the fishing licence, but unfortunately both the clubs I'm in require me to have one and I'm not giving them up!
In my opinion the licence money, or at least some of it, should be dished out to the likes of the AT and various river trusts. Now that's a petition I would sign.

i also think more should have been made of the other creatures Otters kill, otherwise it just comes across as disgruntled anglers and many people dont understand us as it is.

Does read very poorly and as such not something I would see as the right place to make a point about Otters. Better through AT or at least some formal body who can draft something a bit more convincing.

It may help if someone starts a petition, which looks at wider/connecting issues and along the lines of:

We hereby ask DEFRA (specifically Natural England and the Environment Agency) to undertake a study of our fresh water river systems with a view to confirming the following points and taking appropriate action where deemed necessary:

* In many rivers why is there a distinct lack of coarse fish in the 2oz – 2lb Range?

* What impact is avian predation (specifically Cormorants and Goosanders) having on our rivers and is it sustainable in terms of maintaining healthy and expected fish stocks?

* In relation to the above two points, are our river systems capable of supporting Otters in a contained environment, or is lack of available food forcing them to feed elsewhere and bringing them in to conflict with stillwater anglers, ornamental fish keepers and commercial fish farming?

* What is the true environmental impact of non-native invasive plants such as Himalayan Balsam and Giant Hogweed, and specifically in terms of bank erosion which may be causing fish spawning beds to silt up? In addition Giant Hogweed presents a serious health risk to humans which cannot be ignored.

* What is the true environmental impact of non-native and invasive aquatic animal species such as Signal Crayfish and American Mink, and what can be done to control/eradicate them?

Not saying its perfectly worded, plus there's been that many badly worded petitions before, people have lost interest.

Well done Neil, that is exactly the tone that we should adopt. I would happily sign a petition along those lines.

Regards,

Hugo

they,ll be breeding and releasing beavers sooon if we dont watch out,
dam the rivers and help the floods and drown people, this will be ok cos we are beavers and look cuddly:mad:

Good points Neil. I too think any petition should be well worded(?) and supported/backed-up, by an organisation with some clout, so to speak.

they,ll be breeding and releasing beavers sooon if we dont watch out,
dam the rivers and help the floods and drown people, this will be ok cos we are beavers and look cuddly:mad:

Arent they already doing that? gang of 12 escaped near Cotswold Water Park and 2 have made it as far as Oxford i am told. Supposed to be neutered but nature always seems to find ways around that.
Think i read a couple turned up somewhere else that no one knows where they came from lol

If you were to get the Best English writer in the world to write a petition, it still would not make a single bit of difference..

The Otter is a WORLDWIDE PROTECTED SPECIES..

No surveys or Petitions will change that now or in the foreseeable future..

All these petitions against Otters are not doing Angling any favours..

Read what Graham and others are saying on another thread, those are the real problems..

Single ling out a Protected species to be culled is definitely not the way forward..

Back