• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Organising my rig bits

Neil Kirk

Whilst fishing about in the pocket of my waistcoat to find a link swivel in the dark last night I thought that there must be a better way to organise my rig bits.

Whilst not wishing to give anyone nightmares, my left hand zip pocket on the lower part of my waistcoat contains :

lead weights
quick change swivels
run rings
rubber buffer beads
snap swivels (to attach PVA mesh bags to my lead)
rubber tails
meat coils for hair rigging meat
bait spikes for hair rigging boilies

With the exception of the meat coils and bait spikes ( in little sealable bags as supplied by the manufacturer) all of these are just loose and mixed together.

In the past I have kept each component in a little sealable bag or plastic box (smaller than matchbox size) but over time the bags have split and the pocket has become like a lucky dip bag (except not very lucky - more just irritating). I also find having half a dozen identicle small bags quite irriating.

I don't want a box with multiple open compartments which if I drop will mean everything will be scattered on the floor and whatever I use must fit in a waistcoat pocket - I don't want to have to dig around in my holdall.

I am prepared to accept the rubber tails in a small sealable plastic bag on their own because their length may make other options difficult.

I am hoping someone can provide me with the help that I clearly need but maybe I need psychiatric help! 😫

Last edited:
3243C439-5B1F-4282-8322-721D5DFE474B.jpeg

Myself, I use an old air rifle pellet tin. Fits a pocket perfectly.

Dave

Whilst fishing about in the pocket of my waistcoat to find a link swivel in the dark last night I thought that there must be a better way to organise my rig bits.

Whilst not wishing to give anyone nightmares, my left hand zip pocket on the lower part of my waistcoat contains :

lead weights
quick change swivels
run rings
rubber buffer beads
rubber tails

With the exception of the meat coils and bait spikes ( in little sealable bags as supplied by the manufacturer) all of these are just loose and mixed together.

In the past I have kept each component in a little sealable bag or plastic box (smaller than matchbox size) but over time the bags have split and the pocket has become like a lucky dip bag (except not very lucky - more just irritating). I also find having half a dozen identicle small bags quite irriating.

I don't want a box with multiple open compartments which if I drop will mean everything will be scattered on the floor and whatever I use must fit in a waistcoat pocket - I don't want to have to dig around in my holdall.

I am prepared to accept the rubber tails in a small sealable plastic bag on their own because their length may make other options difficult.

I am hoping someone can provide me with the help that I clearly need but maybe I need psychiatric help! 😫
I use this clam box I got free with the Angling Times many years ago. It's perfect for my needs. And if you drop it, even when open up the little compartment doors stay shut and the contents dont spill. I'm sure there must be something similar on the market.

Attachments

• 20211019_192542.jpg
    20211019_192542.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20211019_192649.jpg
    20211019_192649.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 102

lead weights
quick change swivels
run rings
rubber buffer beads
rubber tails

Very similar as Joe uses:

Don't use a waistcoat but never decant anything from their original packets these days . . .too much faff and I generally forget what I've put where. Have dumped all my small / medium / large hardcases and replaced them with a small soft case to stow the essential packets and mini hooklink spools only etc. Anything excess stays in the boot of the car in a 'spares' bag . . .

Yep, minimalistic, dont need lots of bits, it is easy enough to catch Barbel without a Christmas tree on your line 👍

David.
I like to keep my rigs very simple too - effectively a simple running rig, as free running as I can make it, with an of anti tangle element provided by the rubber tail, and an ability to change hooklength easily with the quick change swivel.

I'm just keen to tidy up my storage of the rig elements I do use.

I use this clam box I got free with the Angling Times many years ago. It's perfect for my needs. And if you drop it, even when open up the little compartment doors stay shut and the contents dont spill. I'm sure there must be something similar on the market.
I have the mustad one in bright orange. Bloody brilliant. Bought in torquay many moons ago.

I have several of those AT style rig boxes and they are very handy for small items. However, sometimes I need a bit more so take this handy box....

Then spools of hooklink, hooks and other tools can be kept together.

I have several of those AT style rig boxes and they are very handy for small items. However, sometimes I need a bit more so take this handy box....

Then spools of hooklink, hooks and other tools can be kept together.
I down sized from a much larger korum box to one of those and think their a perfect size,maybe not quite waist coat pocket size though lol

Back