• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Noooooo

I'd love to know how the general angling public felt at the time Barbel were originally stocked into rivers where they do not naturally occur. Was it outrage or indifference? And would it happen now? Probably not. Just a thought.

Darren

Hi men,

Other than the reason nature put fish that suited the master plan in running water best , and the spawning issue ( as Howard pointed out ) you can't get away from the fact that water is .... Water , and fish are fish :p , there ain't much reason why there is a problem with the cross over . I think we put barbel on a bit of a pedestal ?, yes I agree they should be in a river , but if your going down that route then not as many rivers as they are in these days !. Not a major crime in my book , if people have barbel in a lake and are fishing for them good luck to them , there is the thing , life is about choices , choose not to !.

Hatter

Spot on post by Mr Anderson. Surely we should not let elitism cloud our view on what in essence is just a fish? We love rivers and barbel and should not need to dress this up with pseudo science/shyte?

Barbel have evolved to live in water, it matters not a jot if it is still or running. There will be no DNA doping of river barbel by Stillwater barbel, that’s pseudoshyte.

Barbel are more than capable of breeding in stillwaters, lakes and ponds. There may be a discrepancy between success rates in rivers and ponds but that will be all.

Someone mentioned earlier about not putting barbel in a less than optimum environment. Well the EA disagree with that view point as they allow the stocking of barbel into stillwaters, rivers that have never held barbel populations and they have also contrived to put in over 20 thousand barbel into the Great Ouse when said river is obviously no longer a suitable environment for them to naturally habituate and re-populate.

The Ea allow barbel in still waters because they have given up on rivers, They have already said that river anglers should find other waters, They make it clear that Puddles are the future, so i wouldn't read to much into what the EA allow.

If they have given up on rivers why are they constantly re-stocking the Great Ouse?

When have the EA said river anglers should give up and move onto stillwaters?

Or are you making assumptions based on your perceptions of EA policy?

So when the puddles get hotter and the fish that may be less able or genetically developed to survive the lower dissolved oxygen levels in them gasp for air on the surface thats fine then?

There were over 100 stocked locally some years ago into a crammed match pit...Not one was ever caught or seen again.

Of course there are transfers by natural means, flooding etc. But that's what it is ...natural.

Of course lack of management of the river systems means many prefer the quick fix of commercial fisheries myself included occasionally . But lets not kid ourselves its like real fishing.

There's a view that all publicity is good publicity when you are selling.....im afraid I don't agree in this case.

Steve must indeed be a fine angler to be bored with perch over 4lb and barbel under 15lb but I think this was a mistaken bit of publicity. Just my view.

Last edited:
Spot on post by Mr Anderson. Surely we should not let elitism cloud our view on what in essence is just a fish? We love rivers and barbel and should not need to dress this up with pseudo science/shyte?

Barbel have evolved to live in water, it matters not a jot if it is still or running. There will be no DNA doping of river barbel by Stillwater barbel, that’s pseudoshyte.

Barbel are more than capable of breeding in stillwaters, lakes and ponds. There may be a discrepancy between success rates in rivers and ponds but that will be all.

Someone mentioned earlier about not putting barbel in a less than optimum environment. Well the EA disagree with that view point as they allow the stocking of barbel into stillwaters, rivers that have never held barbel populations and they have also contrived to put in over 20 thousand barbel into the Great Ouse when said river is obviously no longer a suitable environment for them to naturally habituate and re-populate.

Cobblers..

OK then let's play along ...Look at the Salmon Angler and his quarry, and the environment he fishes for them, would you think he would get the same satisfaction in catching Salmon from a stock pond? I doubt it And neither would I and I hope the majority on here would feel the same, in catching Barbel from some Commercial.

The Barbel is a bit special, a bit akin to the Salmon in many ways, especially in it's habitat when it is not at sea, it's fighting qualities. and sometimes the utter mystery of the species.

To 'coral' Barbel en mass to be fished for will be the day that Angling will be lost to those that wish to profit over those that wish to fish and not just 'catch'.

So when the puddles get hotter and the fish that may be less able or genetically developed to survive the lower dissolved oxygen levels in them gasp for air on the surface thats fine then?

There were over 100 stocked locally some years ago into a crammed match pit...Not one was ever caught or seen again.

Of course there are transfers by natural means, flooding etc. But that's what it is ...natural.

Of course lack of management of the river systems means many prefer the quick fix of commercial fisheries myself included occasionally . But lets not kid ourselves its like real fishing.

There's a view that all publicity is good publicity when you are selling.....im afraid I don't agree in this case.

Steve must indeed be a fine angler to be bored with perch over 4lb and barbel under 15lb but I think this was a mistaken bit of publicity. Just my view.

Well said Graham..

Hi men,

And there is the choice , life is all about choices , choose not to fish commercials !, seems easy to me ?.

Life is all about choices , we choose to fish for barbel , not our barbel but those near other people as it's not great here , where as people choose to fish for carp , not their carp , but the fantastic lake near me where I used to fish .

Hatter

I dont think many of you have seen the bog picture here, or read the feature, just as usual jump on the keyboard and have a go.
Ive just said on another site, if you were there and saw the amount of pleasure a very very poorly man had by catching a barbel, a fish that because of his mobility problems he would not have been able to catch in that part of the world, you may have given it a different view, who are we to deny anyone the pleasure of catching the fish of a lifetime?
Ive had a few barbel in my time, I wouldn't say Im a barbel angler, just an angler, I couldn't care less where a fish lives, I don't think they could either to be honest as long as they are fed and watered :)
Dont worry yourselves be happy

Cobblers..

OK then let's play along ...Look at the Salmon Angler and his quarry, and the environment he fishes for them, would you think he would get the same satisfaction in catching Salmon from a stock pond? I doubt it And neither would I and I hope the majority on here would feel the same, in catching Barbel from some Commercial.

The Barbel is a bit special, a bit akin to the Salmon in many ways, especially in it's habitat when it is not at sea, it's fighting qualities. and sometimes the utter mystery of the species.

To 'coral' Barbel en mass to be fished for will be the day that Angling will be lost to those that wish to profit over those that wish to fish and not just 'catch'.

I'll tell you what Neil, would you take you head out from up your backside and let me stick my head up there as then I might be able to see your point of view!

Lolz, massive bants face.:D;):p:p:p:confused::D:(:rolleyes::eek::D;):):(:D:p:p:p:cool::D

Im not saying I would get any enjoyment from catching stillwater barbel. I like wild rivers.

Your using elitism to back your view point up. Holding salmon and barbel fishing up on somesort of pedestal. Yes, we love rivers. But match boys love commercials. It is the same choice.

How ironic that you use Salmon fishing as a comparison. Salmon anglers are deliberately targetting spawning fish! Would you get the same satisfaction that salmon anglers get from catching a barbel who was just about to spawn.

As Mark says; its all about choices. You cant say one is better than the other and that one is right and one is wrong.

Hi men,

And there is the choice , life is all about choices , choose not to fish commercials !, seems easy to me ?.

Life is all about choices , we choose to fish for barbel , not our barbel but those near other people as it's not great here , where as people choose to fish for carp , not their carp , but the fantastic lake near me where I used to fish .

Hatter

Exactly Hatter, nail on the head, if you don't like barbel in stillwater,then don't fish for them, if you don't like carp in commercials then don't fish for them, I don't like carp in commercials but hey, the biggest carp in the country are in places like Linear,,,,,,,,,, is that not a commercial ?
If barbel go into these commercials then the inevitable will happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bigger,bigger,bigger,,,,,,,,,,,, it will happen as it has with the carp.
But if you are unhappy with that then don't go there.:D

It was only going to be a matter of time that the mass exodus from the Ponds to the Rivers would reverse.

Every cloud :)

I'll tell you what Neil, would you take you head out from up your backside and let me stick my head up there as then I might be able to see your point of view!

Lolz, massive bants face.:D;):p:p:p:confused::D:(:rolleyes::eek::D;):):(:D:p:p:p:cool::D

Im not saying I would get any enjoyment from catching stillwater barbel. I like wild rivers.

Your using elitism to back your view point up. Holding salmon and barbel fishing up on somesort of pedestal. Yes, we love rivers. But match boys love commercials. It is the same choice.

How ironic that you use Salmon fishing as a comparison. Salmon anglers are deliberately targetting spawning fish! Would you get the same satisfaction that salmon anglers get from catching a barbel who was just about to spawn.

As Mark says; its all about choices. You cant say one is better than the other and that one is right and one is wrong.

Picking through this rant Ash I will try and spell out what I and I guess many more think, the Barbel by design is supposed to be in flowing water, that applies to the Barbel more than any other freshwater fish I guess, so why would anyone wish to coral them in a pond?

Especially when carp and the like actually thrive in such?

I used the example of Salmon as an example as a fair one that describes the fish not those that fish for them as you did, so I guess you might be struggling to come up with a suitable retort?

Crazy though as you say my head is up my backside (nice) and yet it is not me that is advocating putting barbel in an environment that is utterly foreign to their natural habitat.

In sane forum users without a blinkered view.
Ask one of the mods ;) I fish more rivers than you would ever know ;)

Assuming a lot again?

However I reckon that to call someone that does not share your view on this matter as 'insane' is well perhaps a bit blinkered? :rolleyes:

Yes I am sure Steve will verify, do you need his help though?

Neil by design trout are supposed to be in flowing water, however there are a plethora of fisheries that you can chuck fluff for these fish. I've noticed that many barbel angler's jump on the moral bandwagon when it comes to stillwater barbel. Christ on a bike how long again is it till opening day!!!

Arent ponds wet then Neil? You did actually describe the pleasure salmon anglers and barbel anglers get as being similar, at least your practising your knots in the closed season even if you are tying yourself up in them!

You are anthromorphising when discussing 'the design' of barbel and then taking that as a valid stance. It isn't. But its your opinion and thats all that counts in these enlightend times, so fairy muff.

I have not advocatted putting barbel in a stillwater, just said that it does no harm to do so. I may have liberated a few stillwater barbel in my lifetime and may hold the view that I prefer to see them in rivers. But it is only my preference.

A barbels natural habitat is water, same as with all fish.

Last edited:
Back