• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Night fishing.

Hi john,nice to hear you.sadly I have not fished for 2seasons.everything is going wrong but I am trying to keep up with the pace.hope your move is all to the good
Albert

In the early 70s I did a lot of winter night fishing for chub and roach. All the better fish came after dark.

Sadly I think a lot of night fishing done for carp is lazy fishing. Not all, but just and excuse to camp rather than fish. In the summer your better off late morning and late evening due to higher dissolved oxygen levels. At night in summer unless it's cold and raining it's largely a waste of time.

In a river it's a little different. I'm too old now for overnighters in winter, but two hours into dusk is great fun.

I had a friend fall into a small ditch recently going back to the car in the dark. Luckily he was not hurt. I was of little use laughing so much at his misfortune, I nearly fell over myself, Ha Friends:D

In the early 70s I did a lot of winter night fishing for chub and roach. All the better fish came after dark.

Sadly I think a lot of night fishing done for carp is lazy fishing. Not all, but just and excuse to camp rather than fish. In the summer your better off late morning and late evening due to higher dissolved oxygen levels. At night in summer unless it's cold and raining it's largely a waste of time.

In a river it's a little different. I'm too old now for overnighters in winter, but two hours into dusk is great fun.

I had a friend fall into a small ditch recently going back to the car in the dark. Luckily he was not hurt. I was of little use laughing so much at his misfortune, I nearly fell over myself, Ha Friends:D

Hi Richard, agree with a lot of what you say, but tell me...if some folk absolutely love camping, and camping by a lake with a chance of catching a fish was the icing on the cake for them...then why on earth would that be lazy? And what could possibly be sad about it? Why oh why do some folk insist that their way is the only way, and criticise others for doing what they enjoy most? It baffles me, it really does. Live and let live fella...they are harming neither you, nor the fish...they are merely doing things their own way, and enjoying themselves into the bargain. What is so terrible about that?

Cheers, Dave.

I'm sure this has all been covered in the previous seven pages, but the heightening of one's senses in the dark adds to the occasion. The reduction of the visual (except on those clear starlit/moonlit nights) requires a much greater emphasis on the auditory skills which we have a tendency to neglect and obviously on touch (if holding a rod). I catch more at night than during the day and love the peace and tranquility that the darkness brings and I fall in less than during the hours of daylight.

That's a remarkable feat Albert. You were working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and you still went fishing!? Not only can you catch barbel during daylight, you have also managed to distort the space/time continuum sufficiently to create additional time for you to go fishing.

That's nothing. I worked 24/7, 366 in a leap year and at the same time worked in a parallel universe and still managed to find time to go fishing.

Hi Richard, agree with a lot of what you say, but tell me...if some folk absolutely love camping, and camping by a lake with a chance of catching a fish was the icing on the cake for them...then why on earth would that be lazy? And what could possibly be sad about it? Why oh why do some folk insist that their way is the only way, and criticise others for doing what they enjoy most? It baffles me, it really does. Live and let live fella...they are harming neither you, nor the fish...they are merely doing things their own way, and enjoying themselves into the bargain. What is so terrible about that?

Cheers, Dave.
Nobody is forcing their ideas on you Dave, why do you always bring out that old chestnut of yours? Just sharing a few traits on a forum in a civil manner.

I'm sure this has all been covered in the previous seven pages, but the heightening of one's senses in the dark adds to the occasion. The reduction of the visual (except on those clear starlit/moonlit nights) requires a much greater emphasis on the auditory skills which we have a tendency to neglect and obviously on touch (if holding a rod). I catch more at night than during the day and love the peace and tranquility that the darkness brings and I fall in less than during the hours of daylight.[/QUOTE

My thoughts exactly Anthony. There is an "aliveness" about our senses that just isn't there in daylight. I think it must be some sort of primal instinct. I have had one or two hair-raising experiences after dark too which were not obviously explainable. It all adds to the experience. I have never had any fear of anything paranormal happening at night but the one thing that does make me edgy at times is if I start thinking about big cats on the loose. One slightly uneasy moment occurred not at night, but at the edge of darkness, late dusk I suppose. I was walking along the Windrush just going home after a trout fishing session. Coming round a bend I saw what appeared to be a huge black cat sat looking at me. I was unsure whether to turn back but was reluctant to turn my back on the creature. It then got up and walked off and I saw it was just a rather large domestic cat but the half light had made it seem a lot further away and bigger than it actually was. I am not advocating this type of thing as a good reason to go night fishing or indeed any alarming experiences, but they all add up to get put in our memory bank when we are too old to go fishing any longer :)

If i night fish i prefer to be on a venue that there are no other anglers on (If i'm lucky enough). I love to just listen to all the sounds of nocturnal wildlife while waiting for a bite, and as Anthony has said your senses are hightened when its dark. There have been times when i have fished right through till first light. But now i prefer to get at least a couple of hours sleep under my shelter as i end up been shattered for the rest of that day.

Dave

That's nothing. I worked 24/7, 366 in a leap year and at the same time worked in a parallel universe and still managed to find time to go fishing.

Is that where you have been all this time Jim? We've missed you. Please get back to posting in your wonderfully irreverent style.

If i night fish i prefer to be on a venue that there are no other anglers on (If i'm lucky enough). I love to just listen to all the sounds of nocturnal wildlife while waiting for a bite, and as Anthony has said your senses are hightened when its dark. There have been times when i have fished right through till first light. But now i prefer to get at least a couple of hours sleep under my shelter as i end up been shattered for the rest of that day.

Dave

As a much younger angler I did a couple of all nighters at a Tench lake nr Newton Abbot, no bivvy or any of the modern comforts, and a torch shining on the float, Mink kept me company all night with the parents bring the kittens for me to throw scraps of food.
It was magic, and the fishing was pretty good too.

Nobody is forcing their ideas on you Dave, why do you always bring out that old chestnut of yours? Just sharing a few traits on a forum in a civil manner.

That's the whole point Neil...I don't 'keep bringing it out' as you put it, I merely respond to others who do. I just find elitism, 'my way or the highway', call it what you will, infuriating.

Our hobby is plagued by, not to say severely damaged by, the intractable notions so many of us have regarding what 'Real Fishing' is all about. How many times do we hear phrases such as 'It only counts if it came on a float', 'The REAL way to catch is with a pin/cane rod/on the fly....add your own pet sayings to the list Neil, and any others that you can think of. How many times do we hear dismissive, derogatory terms such as 'Fluff chuckers', 'Mud pig fishing', 'Tiddler bashers', 'Snotty haulers' and so on, the list is endless. And let's not forget the current intolerance concerning the 'deadly sin' of night fishing!!!

Oh, and before I forget, putting forward your belief that night fishing should be banned...would be 'forcing your ideas on me'...and anyone else who enjoys night fishing, should your wishes be taken up.

Now, you will no doubt say that it's only a bit of fun, just banter, just 'avin a larf', or words to that effect. And of course you would be right...up to a point. The problem is, it's after that point that the damage is done. Intolerance, persistent sneering at others choice of fishing discipline, at their styles, their methods...even their choice of clothing for heavens sake, drives a wedge between us all. Bizarre as it may seem, those perceived differences can literally become bitter resentments that sour friendships. How sad is that?

We need unity in our hobby, not petty differences. We need strength in numbers, not pathetic divisions caused by childish nit picking. We MUST have a united front to present to all our detractors. There will come a time when the very survival of angling depends on that. But what do we actually have? We have snide remarks, school playground point scoring, ego massaging nonsense, that's what we have Neil.

The sailing fraternity can get their act together, the bird watchers, the cyclists, the canoeists...I wouldn't be surprised if train spotters are more unified than us lot. WHY are we such a bunch of childish, egotistical d1ck heads Neil? Why can we not just forget our differences, accept that we are ALL anglers, all enjoying the same hobby, that the way we do that, the fish we choose to pursue, the clothes we wear (yes, even that sin of sins, CAMOU clothing if that's our choice) is UTTERLY irrelevant? Tolerance Neil, live and let live...and because of that, unity...is all that matters. IT MUST become our top priority.

Now I know you may well not bother to read all this, that even if you do, you will quite possibly misinterpret what I say (deliberately or not), will likely ignore points you have no answer to, and all the other stuff you usually do in these circumstances...so I will put just one question to you dear chap.

If we don't forget all of our differences, place our egos to one side, if we DON'T unite....what do YOU think will become of our hobby in the not too distant future?

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, me and you will have to have a day out together mate, i am back from wales now, wont be until 2015 but if you fancy an odd day out:)

Dave, I think there will always be disagreements in any sport but I think you are maybe being a bit over cautious in claiming how dangerous it is for the future of angling. In fact I think a lot of people over estimate this which is why I dislike the way so many anglers seem almost apologetic about the sport. The impression we give to the general public is not anywhere near as important as many seem to think as the non angling public are pretty much unconcerned about us anyway.

And if we all agreed on everything it would be a pretty dull forum :)

That's the whole point Neil...I don't 'keep bringing it out' as you put it, I merely respond to others who do. I just find elitism, 'my way or the highway', call it what you will, infuriating.

Our hobby is plagued by, not to say severely damaged by, the intractable notions so many of us have regarding what 'Real Fishing' is all about. How many times do we hear phrases such as 'It only counts if it came on a float', 'The REAL way to catch is with a pin/cane rod/on the fly....add your own pet sayings to the list Neil, and any others that you can think of. How many times do we hear dismissive, derogatory terms such as 'Fluff chuckers', 'Mud pig fishing', 'Tiddler bashers', 'Snotty haulers' and so on, the list is endless. And let's not forget the current intolerance concerning the 'deadly sin' of night fishing!!!

Oh, and before I forget, putting forward your belief that night fishing should be banned...would be 'forcing your ideas on me'...and anyone else who enjoys night fishing, should your wishes be taken up.

Now, you will no doubt say that it's only a bit of fun, just banter, just 'avin a larf', or words to that effect. And of course you would be right...up to a point. The problem is, it's after that point that the damage is done. Intolerance, persistent sneering at others choice of fishing discipline, at their styles, their methods...even their choice of clothing for heavens sake, drives a wedge between us all. Bizarre as it may seem, those perceived differences can literally become bitter resentments that sour friendships. How sad is that?

We need unity in our hobby, not petty differences. We need strength in numbers, not pathetic divisions caused by childish nit picking. We MUST have a united front to present to all our detractors. There will come a time when the very survival of angling depends on that. But what do we actually have? We have snide remarks, school playground point scoring, ego massaging nonsense, that's what we have Neil.

The sailing fraternity can get their act together, the bird watchers, the cyclists, the canoeists...I wouldn't be surprised if train spotters are more unified than us lot. WHY are we such a bunch of childish, egotistical d1ck heads Neil? Why can we not just forget our differences, accept that we are ALL anglers, all enjoying the same hobby, that the way we do that, the fish we choose to pursue, the clothes we wear (yes, even that sin of sins, CAMOU clothing if that's our choice) is UTTERLY irrelevant? Tolerance Neil, live and let live...and because of that, unity...is all that matters. IT MUST become our top priority.

Now I know you may well not bother to read all this, that even if you do, you will quite possibly misinterpret what I say (deliberately or not), will likely ignore points you have no answer to, and all the other stuff you usually do in these circumstances...so I will put just one question to you dear chap.

If we don't forget all of our differences, place our egos to one side, if we DON'T unite....what do YOU think will become of our hobby in the not too distant future?

Cheers, Dave.

As said Dave merely discussing in a civil manner, cannot see anyone going off on one except your references to me as always in a rather negative manner to say the least.
But for the sake of this thread and forum I do not intend to get drawn into petty arguments and name calling with you.

Cheers, Neil

Dave, I think there will always be disagreements in any sport but I think you are maybe being a bit over cautious in claiming how dangerous it is for the future of angling. In fact I think a lot of people over estimate this which is why I dislike the way so many anglers seem almost apologetic about the sport. The impression we give to the general public is not anywhere near as important as many seem to think as the non angling public are pretty much unconcerned about us anyway.

Yes it would Alex, and pretty pointless too, at least even though we don't agree on all things that the common bond is still strong in the love of what we do, and above all the respect and friendship for each other is not compromised.

As said Dave merely discussing in a civil manner, cannot see anyone going off on one except your references to me as always in a rather negative manner to say the least.
But for the sake of this thread and forum I do not intend to get drawn into petty arguments and name calling with you.

Cheers, Neil

I am not 'going off on one' Neil, merely trying to get through to you that you're intolerant attitude towards others and their ideas and ways of enjoying our hobby is not an unusual one, but it is part of what is wrong with fishing, in my opinion. I have not been unduly negative as you put it, and certainly haven't stooped to name calling...so I don't know where that came from.

One of the finest anglers I ever met rarely posts on this forum any more, in part because he couldn't bare the negative attitude and intolerance of others to anything that didn't fit into their views on what is an 'acceptable' way of fishing for barbel. Because the majority of his fishing is trotting, including his barbel fishing, he was roundly condemned by some for 'fishing too light', 'endangering fish', and so on, ad nauseum. The facts didn't matter a damn to those detractors, he was doing things 'the wrong way', period. They were not going to let the fact that he rarely loses fish (certainly no more than most) get in the way of their snide comments and condemnation. And he is not alone in no longer posting because of the bickering and intolerance, trust me on that one Neil.

It may (or may not) be of interest to you to know that I have had a long PM from a young member of this forum this morning, thanking me for the sense I talked in my last post, and saying that I had voiced things that he and others thought...but didn't like to say. It seems that intolerant attitudes and put-downs has completely soured things for them, stopped them from posting or putting up pictures of their catches etc. Not good mate. The youth of today are the future of angling...if they are not put off before they really get going.

Live and let live Neil...if they want to go off and do a bit of night fishing, be it for barbel or 'mud pigs' :rolleyes:, then let them. Providing they are sticking to the rules, showing respect for the fish and other anglers...then be happy that they are enjoying our hobby. Your way is NOT the only way.

Cheers, Dave.

I quite agree that their will always be differences of opinions between anglers Alex, and long may that be so. However, I completely fail to see what you are driving at in other respects. You seem to be saying that my concerns about disunity amongst anglers is based around fears on my part that outsiders seeing the many differences between will think less of us as a result. The fact is, I couldn't give a hoot what outsiders think of our hobby. They have always seen us at best as a bunch of eccentric weirdos, and on the other end of the spectrum as incredibly cruel monsters who should be stopped from carrying out our hobby...and preferably castrated at the same time to stop our madness from spreading :D:D (Think PETA here, among others :mad:)

No, that is not my point at all. My point is that we need to organise, build a strong representative body that will fight our case in government and other vital areas. Take a good look at some of the other sporting/hobby organisations, the political clout they have, the fact that they are listened to because they are recognised as an organised, unified force. They will ALL have a bit of bickering going on behind the scenes, folk angrily airing their differences inside their organisation...but when push comes to shove, they will all pull together, present a unified front to those that matter...and there lies their strength. At the moment, we have the AT to represent us....and the membership of that is pathetic, compared to the numbers of active anglers. Some of the excuses I have heard why some haven't joined are equally pathetic. We really should be ashamed. If you don't like some of their views, then join and fight your case from within...and stop making excuses up!

Angling has been around pretty well ever since man has got up and walked on two legs...and yet to our shame, we have NEVER managed to have a powerful, cohesive body representing us all. Whatever body has risen phoenix like from the ashes of the last is doomed to failure before it even gets off the ground...because egos, chest beating, testosterone reeking numpties start posturing from day one, and ruin everything. Lower down the pecking order we are divided by the sad, pointless bickering and shrieking between the different factions within angling, which for the past few hundred years has stood firmly in the way of common sense. We need to grow up Alex, simple as that. Other organisations representing other hobbies have managed it, and some of those hobbies have only been around for a relatively short time.

I am not saying we should be ashamed of what we do Alex, that we should be scared to draw attention to ourselves, worried what the 'general public' think of us. I am merely saying that in my opinion, we should be adult enough to put our differences behind us long enough to be able to form a strong, representative body which will fight for us ALL whenever needs arise. I would then expect that body to shout our case long and loud to get what we need....strong enough in fact not to have to worry too much about what others say...there are enough of us for gawds sake! Sadly, that will never happen as long as we are the way we are.

Cheers, Dave.

I am not 'going off on one' Neil, merely trying to get through to you that you're intolerant attitude towards others and their ideas and ways of enjoying our hobby is not an unusual one, but it is part of what is wrong with fishing, in my opinion. I have not been unduly negative as you put it, and certainly haven't stooped to name calling...so I don't know where that came from.

One of the finest anglers I ever met rarely posts on this forum any more, in part because he couldn't bare the negative attitude and intolerance of others to anything that didn't fit into their views on what is an 'acceptable' way of fishing for barbel. Because the majority of his fishing is trotting, including his barbel fishing, he was roundly condemned by some for 'fishing too light', 'endangering fish', and so on, ad nauseum. The facts didn't matter a damn to those detractors, he was doing things 'the wrong way', period. They were not going to let the fact that he rarely loses fish (certainly no more than most) get in the way of their snide comments and condemnation. And he is not alone in no longer posting because of the bickering and intolerance, trust me on that one Neil.

It may (or may not) be of interest to you to know that I have had a long PM from a young member of this forum this morning, thanking me for the sense I talked in my last post, and saying that I had voiced things that he and others thought...but didn't like to say. It seems that intolerant attitudes and put-downs has completely soured things for them, stopped them from posting or putting up pictures of their catches etc. Not good mate. The youth of today are the future of angling...if they are not put off before they really get going.

Live and let live Neil...if they want to go off and do a bit of night fishing, be it for barbel or 'mud pigs' :rolleyes:, then let them. Providing they are sticking to the rules, showing respect for the fish and other anglers...then be happy that they are enjoying our hobby. Your way is NOT the only way.

Cheers, Dave.
Dave
I have tried to let things blow over with you by attempting to not stoke the fire if you will, ever since you 'welcomed' me on here with your abuse you have seemingly singled me out as what is wrong with angling and now the demise of BFW if it is in demise. You have a Bee in your bonnet about 'unity' in Angling, that is, your idea of unity, just as long as it meets your criteria.

I have at no time in the past or this thread tried to impose my will on anyone who wishes to do what they want, why would I ? I have merely put down my thoughts, after all this is a Forum where views are exchanged without contempt for each other I would have hoped.

Then I am supposed to 'trust' you that you had some support for what you feel by way of PM and the author feels afraid of voicing his opinions on here...because of ME!!!

I assume you are meaning Keith with regard to float fishing, if you are that is absurd if you are pointing a finger at me, I very much hold him in high regard, any criticism did not come from me I can assure you.

You say live and let live, well practice what you preach and stop hounding me at every opportunity, it is looking a bit obsessive.

Oh! yes the name calling ... reference D1CKHEADS that you described those that are not to your taste.

Now please cut all this carp out and stop playing games.

Back