• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

NEW ! The grand fishing adventure

I’ll keep watching see if I’ve missed anything🤣 come on it’s not that bad really 😉
I'd say it is to angling what "Carry on Cruising" is to transatlantic seafaring. :rolleyes:
N.b.... but there'll be some on here that think it's "the nuts", and that us stick-in the-mud barbel anglers could learn loads from super angling-celeb Ali.
C'mon, you know who I'm taking about 🤣 😂 🤣 😂 🤣

I'd say it is to angling what "Carry on Cruising" is to transatlantic seafaring. :rolleyes:
N.b.... but there'll be some on here that think it's "the nuts", and that us stick-in the-mud barbel anglers could learn loads from super angling-celeb Ali.
You're right, Terry.
I've learnt loads already, I can see my rods are completely inadequate, my reels the same as they dont hold half a mile of 20lb, and I now see a willow twig is not appropriate as a rod rest and I need a great big contraption that would be very at home on Chesil Beach.....then there's the buzzers....

I think it's "the nuts", and us stick-in the-mud barbel anglers could learn loads from super angling-celeb Ali.
I think it's "the nuts", and us stick-in the-mud barbel anglers could learn loads from super angling-celeb Ali. 😉

I really liked Big Carp with Ali and the other two lads it seemed genuine. Sadly the Grand Fishing Adventure for me is almost as bad as The Big Fish Off and that's saying something.

His new company doesn't seem to sell much.....
Actually some of the OMC terminal tackle bits are pretty good and are cheaper than the usual suspects . . .caught a rare WAvon beast last weekend using one of their 'Dazzler bloodliner aligners' on a maggot rig. As for the TV show I agree its not 'essential viewing' - the top gear / fishing format has been done to death . . .

Haven't watched it, and unlikely to, but seems a bit odd though to watch a programme presented by Ali Hamidi and complain about carp tactics, buzzers etc. Bit like watching Top Gear and complaining about reckless driving.

Whilst Ali may be a bit of a cock, you don't catch fish on ultra-hard waters like Redesmere unless you know your onions.

I watched the latest episode, not too bad and not to be taken too seriously I guess. I've seen worse with that Geordie fella. One thing that did concern me though is that there didn't seem to be a lead on the rig when they were playing carp on a number of occasions. Thought that a bit naughty if it's designed to drop off.

Haven't watched it, and unlikely to, but seems a bit odd though to watch a programme presented by Ali Hamidi and complain about carp tactics, buzzers etc. Bit like watching Top Gear and complaining about reckless driving.

Whilst Ali may be a bit of a cock, you don't catch fish on ultra-hard waters like Redesmere unless you know your onions.
Yeah, but Carp tactics for everything. Someone mentioned earlier about the Crucians.
I saw Paul Whitehouse using a slider rig for Bream in Ireland. Float fishing for Carp as well as floating crust. Ali would've been using bait boats, canoes and definitely alarms not forgetting the camo's. Whitehouse has variety in his methods. Ali used to be beaten 90% of the time by Dean Macey in their fishing challenges.
I think the title should use the word Carp not fishing.

I watched the latest episode, not too bad and not to be taken too seriously I guess. I've seen worse with that Geordie fella. One thing that did concern me though is that there didn't seem to be a lead on the rig when they were playing carp on a number of occasions. Thought that a bit naughty if it's designed to drop off.
Gavin have you been living on another planet for the past 20 years either that or your on a wind up

I appreciate that it seems there is a constant obligation for this form of programming of, say, "less commercially appealing" (some might now say of angling itself, "niche") sports for there to be a jokey, blokey approach to proceedings in the hope that potential, accidental viewers might just be encouraged to stay with it throughout the whole broadcast . HOWEVER I'm not at all convinced that I am content for this representation to be fully and accurately reflective of the overall approach taken by the majority of responsible, dedicated proponents of a sport that many of us have (quietly, unassumingly) enjoyed throughout much of our lives.

Perhaps there needs to be (hopefully!) and that genuine anglers really deserve, a considered balance of an approach which could incorporate the scenic, photographic elements of "Mortimer & Whitehouse", the skill elements of "A Passion for Angling" and the commentating skills of a character combining the late John Wilson's childlike 'enthusiasm' and the calming assurance of an extremely affable Jack Hargreaves (remember the delightful "Out of Town" and "Gone Fishing" back in the 1960's?)

Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my behalf but, for me, surely there has GOT to something other than the constant (mainly) "carp bashing" so kindly and frequently sponsored by "a well-known" tackle manufacturer!!

I suspect there are a lot more Carp Anglers than people who skulk about on the bank in tatty Tweeds with split cane rods and ancient centrepins!

That's EXACTLY the main problem!! Thank you for highlighting it so eloquently, Ben:rolleyes:

(PS I only wear my tweeds and floppy hat at week-ends;)

I suspect there are a lot more Carp Anglers than people who skulk about on the bank in tatty Tweeds with split cane rods and ancient centrepins!
We’re lucky that theres plenty of niche stuff on YouTube and elsewhere the internet these days.

The sort of stuff that gets onto the BBC and the ITV channels costs a packet to produce. I read that they only film four hours of fishing a day on Mortimer and Whitehouse

Yeah, but Carp tactics for everything. Someone mentioned earlier about the Crucians.
I saw Paul Whitehouse using a slider rig for Bream in Ireland. Float fishing for Carp as well as floating crust. Ali would've been using bait boats, canoes and definitely alarms not forgetting the camo's. Whitehouse has variety in his methods. Ali used to be beaten 90% of the time by Dean Macey in their fishing challenges.
I think the title should use the word Carp not fishing.
The great thing about fishing is it can be whatever you want it to be. Within reason there are no rules.

Ali's style of fishing is very different to mine, but it's about what you enjoy doing.

I don't think he would ever claim to be an all-rounder, but he is very good at catching carp. He proved that as a snotty nosed kid on Redesmere. Probably wasn't easy for the young fat asian lad from Essex to stand his ground on the northern carp scene as it was then...but he did and more than held his own on one of the toughest waters in the country. Yes he's annoying, but if he turned his attention to barbel fishing he'd out catch many of the anglers on this forum.

Well, if he did "turn his attention to barbel", I would sincerely hope he would keep his raucous, off-the-wall presence well away from any stretch of river that I was quietly trying to enjoy for a day/night out!!:eek:

Back