• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New rods

It's all foreign rubbish when you break it down. Spanish cork. Fuji eyes. Carbon cloth, I could go on. Are daiwa rods classed foreign?? If that's the attitude then apart from the great Steve Harrison, then Harrison is technically foreign.
When you quote foreign rubbish from your smart phone, iPad or computer.... think again.

I've heard that we won't be able to import foreign rubbish after Brexit anyway. Hardys are stock-pilling English grown cane in preparation for the onslaught of orders. :eek:

Chimera 2.25 are perfect for the Swale and despite the tc are brilliant fish playing rods on typical 6-7 lb fish and bend to the butt but not cheap. Good for heavy feeders when there's a bit of water in and awesome for big chucks on the wye
Daiwa theory is a brilliant rod for the money as are the fox royales
I love the theory with the spare tips as also a great chub rod

Steve ,I think Paul is after something of an all round rod ,the Peregrine is a great rod for fishing in a roaring flood but a wee bit too pokey for ' normal ' barbelling IMHO
How about Korum twin tip plus ? Has 1.75 & 2.2lb top sections to cover various conditions, maybe a "Jack of all Trades" type rod, but Korum seem to be well thought of.

Like I said and saying again you can't go wrong top rods top build top fittings top Mark Tunley and great customer interaction with a totally genuine fella who knows and then some.

https://www.marktunley.com/

Don't waste your hard earned cash on off the peg foreign rubbish.
I would put an off the peg free spirit HI S up against any custom build.... I’ve also used a friends Harrison custom built 13ft trotting rod and it’s mot a patch on my acolyte.. but again it’s personal opinion ... IMO the only blank that Harrison have made that doesn’t feel like a broom handle is the torrix

I find it hard to believe it's over 15 years since I built prototypes of my own barbel rods on Harrison GTi blanks.

I have to say that they are still "working well", used for all of my barbel fishing, and if I broke or lost them I'd have no hesitation in replacing them with the same !!

I would put an off the peg free spirit HI S up against any custom build.... I’ve also used a friends Harrison custom built 13ft trotting rod and it’s mot a patch on my acolyte.. but again it’s personal opinion ... IMO the only blank that Harrison have made that doesn’t feel like a broom handle is the torrix

I own 9 harrison rods, all built by Dave Lumb and not one of them is in any way how you describe. My 1 1\4 lb avons are probably the best actioned rods I've ever come across in their class. The P1's are regarded (by those that use them\know them) as probably the best all round predator rod ever made, as are the BB's for heavier work. The 1 3\4 lb 12ft are as at home fishing static for tench and bream as they are up in the air for barbel.

You're the first person I've come across to describe harrison blanks as broomsticks??

Could you tell us which harrison rods you've actually handled?

The float rod was a gt and was bloody awful and heavy for a float rod imo....others include ballista,s not terrible but still a bit stiff for my liking may have felt a bit better because they were older... chimera,s and Torrix also had a look and feel of the new Harrison I think it’s called the aviator and that is the worst of the lot that really does need a broom head... but like I said rods are a very personal thing I have a mate who loves drennan rods and swears by them I personally use free spirits and have done for many many years but other people hate them

My mate has a pair of aviators and on the strength of my having a cast with them, I've just at this very moment started talks with DL about having a set made. If they're like broomsticks perhaps I should check out the free spirit range!

My chimeras (1 3/4 lb and 1 1/4 lb) are certainly not like broomsticks and I have no knowledge of the gt float rod so can't comment.

A mate had some higher tc chimera carp rods a few years back, I think 3lb but not positive and they were great rods.

Bob if you like Harrison,s you probably won’t like free spirits as for the Gti float rod i found it too heavy as well as stiff.. sort of defeats the object if your trotting all day

It's always down to individual preference, the Fox rods that I'm unhappy with the build quality of were, in my opinion, much better fish playing rods than the Greys Prodigy's that they replaced, I always felt they were too soft. However I have a 13' Prodigy TXL that I use for heavy float work for barbel and tench that I think is great for that purpose.
I've been looking at the various positive views on the Free Spirit rods and will have to take a serious look at those.

As always try before you buy. I must have had half a dozen chaps giving my rod a waggle and a try.
That just doesn't sound right to me.

Had a few Harrisons over the years, and hated them, couldn't wait to get shut. One was like trying to cast with a piece of hosepipe, sloppy as hell. I know they get some bad press, but i still love my original Greys Prodigy 2lb tc, its normally the first rod i turn to. Recently bought a Free Spirit barbel tamer, but have yet to try it. Was hopeing to this wed on the Wye, but after seeing GE's post/pics of a flooded Ross, flooded fields, may give it a miss this week. Safety first. :)

Back