• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new reels

Gary Wagstaff

looking for a pair of reels to replace my shimano 8000 xtea to match up to my korum 2.5tc 13 ft rods for the trent and flood fishing on the ribble.
not looking to spend the earth as only use these rods 5 or 6 times a year
thanks Gaz

I've got a pair of Daiwa BR 3500 that I've been very happy with. They do them in bigger sizes and they're front drag with a bait runner system. Around £75 a reel.

Shimano D’s are my favorite.
ive a pair of 4000d and a pair of 6000d
Like the xtea they are top end reels and obviously are fairly dear.

Take a look at the nash GT 4000 . They're a little pricey but the QD speaks for itself , looks , and the fact they weigh next to nothing . By far one of the best reeks i've ever used .

I have used the shimano medium longcast in the past, the upgrade of the CI4 version being lighter. Then you have the D, OC and Thunnus.
All my Trent rods are 13s and the deserve a good reel.

Gary,
The two front drag reels I would recommend looking at are the Penn Fierce LiveLiners and of course the Shimano OC range. I’ve only ever used the 4000 size in both reels and “upgraded” to the Penn’s for the Trent because it’s a true salt water reel with loads of cranking power in the 4000 size and a cracking front drag. I’ve got the Penn 4000 II LL but notice that there is now a 4000 III model. Worth a look if you can find them. If you can’t find them then the Shimano 6000OC has a bit more cranking power than the 4000 from what I understand .
Regards
Bill

On the budget front I like the Okuma Pulzar PZB-7000 been using one this season and it's been pretty decent.

Shimano 6000D. Bomb proof and great front drag clutch.

One thing I would say about XTEA’s, yes they have a rear drag, which is a bit snatchy, compared to front drag reels; however I always regretted selling my 5000 XTEA’s, as they were just a great work horse, when it comes to chucking big feeders across the river.

looking for a pair of reels to replace my shimano 8000 xtea to match up to my korum 2.5tc 13 ft rods for the trent and flood fishing on the ribble.
not looking to spend the earth as only use these rods 5 or 6 times a year
thanks Gaz
Hi Gaz
I know what you mean about the drag but I still love these reels.
Have you considered speaking to Felindre and see if there is anything they can do?
Its been a while but I am sure they did something different on mine while I was getting some serviced and it did make it much smoother and less ' grabby'

Out of curiosity I have just called Felindre and they have just changed the style of washer they use in the rear drag clutches to make it smoother👍
As Neil stated they are an absolute workhorse and mine get some stick and never let me down, and I've tried loads of alternatives - Nash, Daiwa, new Baitrunners, Okuma, Penn - all nice reels in their own right and I refuse to pay stupid money but some of them didn't last me a season.So I keep hoarding the old style 6000/8000 GTE - not even sure what the exact model is but they'll all be 20+ years old, spools all interchange and if one ever completely dies I have a donor reel but TBH for what it costs to service them I'll keep doing that.

thanks for the advice sold my 3 3500bs struggled to get to the far bank of the ribble on the 6000d for the ribble and dove and have a 6000c which i have never used.have looked at the okuma inception 6000 .will have a look at the penns .
keep the suggestions coming thanks for taking the time to reply

Gary,
The two front drag reels I would recommend looking at are the Penn Fierce LiveLiners and of course the Shimano OC range. I’ve only ever used the 4000 size in both reels and “upgraded” to the Penn’s for the Trent because it’s a true salt water reel with loads of cranking power in the 4000 size and a cracking front drag. I’ve got the Penn 4000 II LL but notice that there is now a 4000 III model. Worth a look if you can find them. If you can’t find them then the Shimano 6000OC has a bit more cranking power than the 4000 from what I understand .
Regards
Bill
Hi Bill do they backwind, I have the penn live liner 460 l models that don’t backwind, clutch is awesome , I also had the spools anodised black as they were gold lol.

Back