• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New line for the new season.

Very funny Dave ! I do re-spool from time to time ! Still on the huge bulk spool of 10lbs I bought a fair few years ago though !

Very funny Dave ! I do re-spool from time to time ! Still on the huge bulk spool of 10lbs I bought a fair few years ago though !

Hush Paul :eek: The manufacturers have spent a fortune convincing anglers that line can't be stored, so you need to buy a new lot every few months, and here you are spilling the beans about your bulk spool :p:D

Cheers, Dave.

I'll be using the same stuff that I've used over the last few seasons, no idea what it is but it has never let me down, but then again I haven't done much fishing for a while. If mono is kept out of sunlight it will last for years. I've had mono on reels for 20 years or so and it's still as good as ever. Top tip, if you are fishing on a sunny day, try and keep the reel and rod out of strong sunshine. A protective reel cover does the job admirably. If there is no shade, then a thin coating of suncream applied to the line will work just as well. Use a high factor in strong sunlight and the type that doesn't wash off in water. Don't use the the suncreams with the mahogany tint as this could affect the colour of your line. At the end of the day give your line an application of aftersun lotion. Boots No7 line care pack which contains a bottle of each with applicator and wipes is highly recommended. Follow these tips and your line will reward you with many years of servce.

I'll be using the same stuff that I've used over the last few seasons, no idea what it is but it has never let me down, but then again I haven't done much fishing for a while. If mono is kept out of sunlight it will last for years. I've had mono on reels for 20 years or so and it's still as good as ever. Top tip, if you are fishing on a sunny day, try and keep the reel and rod out of strong sunshine. A protective reel cover does the job admirably. If there is no shade, then a thin coating of suncream applied to the line will work just as well. Use a high factor in strong sunlight and the type that doesn't wash off in water. Don't use the the suncreams with the mahogany tint as this could affect the colour of your line. At the end of the day give your line an application of aftersun lotion. Boots No7 line care pack which contains a bottle of each with applicator and wipes is highly recommended. Follow these tips and your line will reward you with many years of servce.

And smell of Coconut probably :) Top tip indeed ;)

The number of people that fish with rotten line never ceases to amaze me. The post-fishing conversation in the car park at the end of the day usually goes like..
me "how did you get on?"
angler "lost one"
me "how did you lose it?"
angler "snapped me up!"
me "what strength line are you using?"
angler "10 lb"
me "how on earth did you get snapped up on 10lb line? can I have a look?"

I then proceed to do a not very scientific test of the angler's line by holding a length between my hands and trying to snap it. amazingly often it snaps like cotton, with a breaking strain I'd estimate at around 3lb. With baby soft hands like mine, I can just about snap good 8lb line without it cutting into my skin..the not very scientific test of good line.

Jim, I'l say it again....you are a bad man :D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

The number of people that fish with rotten line never ceases to amaze me. The post-fishing conversation in the car park at the end of the day usually goes like..
me "how did you get on?"
angler "lost one"
me "how did you lose it?"
angler "snapped me up!"
me "what strength line are you using?"
angler "10 lb"
me "how on earth did you get snapped up on 10lb line? can I have a look?"

I then proceed to do a not very scientific test of the angler's line by holding a length between my hands and trying to snap it. amazingly often it snaps like cotton, with a breaking strain I'd estimate at around 3lb. With baby soft hands like mine, I can just about snap good 8lb line without it cutting into my skin..the not very scientific test of good line.

Tim, thats a great shout.

I use cheap as chips sensor, respooled every season. NEVER let me down. Others use far more expensive line, but leave it on year after year cos of the cost. And as you say, snaps, when it shouldn,t.

Big Game Clear 10lb and ESP Syncro XT 12lb thought I would give it a go

Hi mate, Iv just spooled up with the ESP syncro xt in 15lb not to sure if I'm keen does the big game seem a better line to you? as Iv never used it but would like something that's going to be capable of the big tidal rocky Trent and Good at casting 6oz feeders full
Regards

Why is everyone using big game in 12lb and not 15lb?
Cheers

Wayne - I guess because it does the job. Most, I suspect, wouldn't go as high as 15lb for barbel, particularly on medium/small rivers as it's just not needed. Further, many barbel anglers baulk at using anything over 10lb. I imagine the Tidal Trent demands more of a line than than most?

Wayne - I guess because it does the job. Most, I suspect, wouldn't go as high as 15lb for barbel, particularly on medium/small rivers as it's just not needed. Further, many barbel anglers baulk at using anything over 10lb. I imagine the Tidal Trent demands more of a line than than most?

Hi rich thanks for your comment, id feel well undergunned fishing with 12lb on the tidal trent, I certainly need a 15lb line to feel comfortable I'm going to try the syncro xt as its on the spools now and does seem a complete waste of £20 to rip it off without even casting it but I'm now in a torn situation between 15lb big game or sensor the problem is Iv found casting big 6oz feeders full tends to crease the line alot and a little test on the syncro xt last night showed the same fault as many others however the sensor was a bit more giving maybe down to it having a lot more stretch than the syncro xt. But on the other hand from what Iv read the big game is a good line to choose.
Thanks

Last edited:
Back