• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New line for the new season.

Wayne Glossop

Has anyone spooled up with new line they hav'nt used before for the new season, if so what are you trying?
Cheers

Iv tried it I like it cheap aswel, I used sensor on the little river, for the trent Iv just spooled up with ESP syncro xt if that doesn't perform il probably go for big game.

I just opened my 2975yd spool of 10lb big game that was posted on here last season (6 quid i think on eBay) ! Someone also posted they tested it and it was breaking too easily but I have tested it this morning and it's breaking at about 13lb so I am going to give it a go. not sure if it's genuine but I also tested some berkely Xt 10lb at that broke at about it's breaking strain so the new stuff compares favourably and has a lower diameter.

Respooled mine with 15lb ESP olive yesterday used it last 2 seasons and never let me down

Just bought some Drennan Supplex to give it a go. Ill let you know how it performs. First impressions are not bad.

Brian

just spooled up the rest of my rods with Power Pro super 8, the old PP never let me down and this IMO is a better package.

Re-spooled my reels with big game, used it last season, excellent line. The line I've respooled with I have'nt used before:D:D:D:D

I'm giving either gardner hydro tuff, or the new gt80+ a go as that's whats going to go on my light carp rods and I'll have enough left over to spoil up my barbel reels. The Only thing that worries me about the gt80 is that they've deigned it to sink well, while this will be ideal for my carp fishing could having a fast sinking line on flowing water cause me problems? I'm thinking that it could possibly be effected by the current more. Or I could be wrong?

If its a big river your fishing you will probably be fishing with a bow in the line anyway and I'm sure you'll be using an heavy lead so there's no problem there mate!

Has anyone used Gamma High Performance Copolymer line for Barbel? I have started using the 8lb line for Tench fishing and found it to be very good, it lays very well and has minimal line twist, much better than Sensor.
I have responded with 10 lb Hydra Tuff, which on testing breaks around 12lb, and 12lb Big Game, which breaks around 14lb.

I'm giving either gardner hydro tuff, or the new gt80+ a go as that's whats going to go on my light carp rods and I'll have enough left over to spoil up my barbel reels. The Only thing that worries me about the gt80 is that they've deigned it to sink well, while this will be ideal for my carp fishing could having a fast sinking line on flowing water cause me problems? I'm thinking that it could possibly be effected by the current more. Or I could be wrong?

Ben, your new line will be fine. Fast sinking line is actually an advantage if you are fishing the lead. The only time it may not be good is if (A) You were rolling meat....and that is debatable, or (B) If you were trotting a stick or similar float fixed top and bottom.

Cheers, Dave.

Has anyone used Gamma High Performance Copolymer line for Barbel? I have started using the 8lb line for Tench fishing and found it to be very good, it lays very well and has minimal line twist, much better than Sensor.
I have responded with 10 lb Hydra Tuff, which on testing breaks around 12lb, and 12lb Big Game, which breaks around 14lb.

I spooled up with Gamma late on last season had a few good barbel on it and will be using it again this coming season
I've put 8lb on the reels and I've got a spool of 6lb that I'll be using to make my combi rigs.

After years of using Gold Label Pro Clear it recently let me down while tenching. I have gone over to Suffix.....Duo core in 12lb, Green Xcelon in 10 and clear in lower bs. Well impressed with it, low diameter and and above stated BS, low memory as well......

Big Game Clear in 8,10 & 12lbs as in many previous seasons ! See no reason to change ! Tough as old boots, cheap and reliable !

Back