• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New line for the new season.

Why is everyone using big game in 12lb and not 15lb?
Cheers

US spec 12lb Big Game is probably the same diameter and strength as many other brands rated at 15lb (it actually breaks nearer 18lb!).

Better to go on diameters like match anglers do rather than rely on BS.

I use Gardner GT80+ IN 10lb on my fixed spool reels, not let me down but is a bit pricey, On my Centrepins I use Big Game 10lb clear but find you get line twist on fixed spools useing Big Game,

Regards Ray Thorpe

Last edited:
..never found line twist to be a problem with 10lb big game (12lb is a different story, feels more like flourocarbon).

Just respooled my reels with 10lb Big Game, the most reliable line I've ever used, and realised that compulsive purchasing whenever I see a bargain has resulted in me amassing 15000 yds of the stuff. Hope it doesn't go off; I keep it in the cool/dark and it doesn't seem to.

Whatever line you select, buy in bulk and respool before you think you need to!

Jim, I'l say it again....you are a bad man :D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Yes, Dave, there are some bad people on this site and in the past, I have warned new members about these cads. Fortunately, the "Bad People" tag does not apply to us. Our aim, as is the majority of BFW members, is to help one another with useful tips and jolly interesting posts. My feeling is that these cads should be tracked down and expelled from the site as they contribute nothing and are just time-wasters. It is frustrating to have to plough through their posts when there are serious issues to be discussed. I suggest setting up a thread where these people are named and shamed. That Theadlethwaite would be the top of my list, clearly a fool and a scribe of junk.

..never found line twist to be a problem with 10lb big game (12lb is a different story, feels more like flourocarbon).

Just respooled my reels with 10lb Big Game, the most reliable line I've ever used, and realised that compulsive purchasing whenever I see a bargain has resulted in me amassing 15000 yds of the stuff. Hope it doesn't go off; I keep it in the cool/dark and it doesn't seem to.

Whatever line you select, buy in bulk and respool before you think you need to!
Iv spooled up with 15lb big game and also got syncro xt so the way il do it is fish with one line on one rod and other line on other rod and see which one does what I want from a line I must admit the big game seems alot better than the syncro xt though imo.
Thanks

I have Big Game Clear on my Barbel rods and have had for some time, purely because it is clear and cheap and I got a massive spool!! You dont need anything fancy for Barbel in relatively small rivers.

On my Carp rods I have 12lb Syncro XT and have to say it is absolutely brilliant, it is subtle, sinks very well and casts superbly, a very superior line to most cheaper products. I am fishing often at upto 200yards on the carp lake and this line has performed magnificently over the last year.

I have Big Game Clear on my Barbel rods and have had for some time, purely because it is clear and cheap and I got a massive spool!! You dont need anything fancy for Barbel in relatively small rivers.

On my Carp rods I have 12lb Syncro XT and have to say it is absolutely brilliant, it is subtle, sinks very well and casts superbly, a very superior line to most cheaper products. I am fishing often at upto 200yards on the carp lake and this line has performed magnificently over the last year.

Thanks for that Ian, il give them both ago by the sounds of it i shunt go far wrong mate, I don't mind paying good money for line after all that can be the difference between a fish on the bank and the one that got away,

After looking at loads of lines I've decided to go back to maxima chameleon in 10lb never had a problem and love the colour so thought why change?

Will be using Sensor yet again, cheap and cheerfull and still had more than enough here to re-spool a couple of reels although was toying with the idea of GR60, been using it for Carp and have no problems with it whatsoever, might stick some on the spare spools just in case, also though about Synchro XT, well maybe next season :)

Back