• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Korum river feeders

I bought 6 of these in large 3oz size to try on my week on the middle severn and rigged them up on fathers rod as I use him to test any new product or bait any on the first day towards the end of our session he baited up cast out and the line went slack and reeled in to find no feeder and just the undamaged plastic tag and attached swivel so thinking this was bad luck I put on another and the same happened to that the next day I think there is a design fault or badly made if you see the tag I dont think that its fixed on to much so I wont using them.
Regards Paul

I've had a similar thing happen to me with their other feeders, reeled in to find the body of the feeder had come away leaving me with just the lead strip. Seems to be where the lead pins/welds (?) attach to the plastic body, looks like they need squashing over more, if that makes sense?

ive had the same problems with both their style of open end and cage feeders at one time or another, normally with those sizes of 2oz or more. I think your right as the mushroomed lead pins used to fasten the parts together aren't large enough to withstand repeated casting. But until our Mr Drennan comes out with some heavy alternatives with a suitable carrying capacity I believe that the Korum range probably offers the river angler the best weight to body size feeders commercially available.

Looks like Guru have some new feeders out from 1 to 4oz.Saw them on a Dean Macey video clip fishing the Wye early in the season.Look like a regular plastic hair curler style but slightly tapered at one end with interchangeable stems to allow a running or inline presentation.No doubt something else to catch a few anglers.

Whilst on the subject of the Korum feeder range. I like most probably carry far to many feeders - cage, open end and traditional, from 1/20z up and in multiples of each size just in case! Has anyone tried their combi feeder? The one with removable end caps. I have my doubts as I think that the removable unfixed ends will indeed work loose after a short period.

Hi guys
Your right about the old feeders and yes you can squash the lead rivets down a bit on them but on the new ones there's no sign of them let alone trying to access them it looks like the plastic top part is perhaps clipped on to the base weight somehow and I think the plastic flexes and works lose.
Regards Paul

Justin,
I've used the Korums with the detachable end caps since they first came out,not exclusively, but in suitable situations,and can't say I've had any problems.Sometimes tape over some of the holes in order to slow down the release of the contents.Favourite feeders are the ones from Woodys or FFF's.

Whilst on the subject of the Korum feeder range. I like most probably carry far to many feeders - cage, open end and traditional, from 1/20z up and in multiples of each size just in case! Has anyone tried their combi feeder? The one with removable end caps. I have my doubts as I think that the removable unfixed ends will indeed work loose after a short period.

I love the combi-feeders. I’ve used them extensively for tench fining for two seasons and only once have I lost the caps. May be different in flowing rivers but I doubt it as Ade Kiddell designed them for barbel and he tells me he has no problem with them on the Lower Trent.

What would your perfect river feeder look like ? round like a hair curler ? tunnel shaped ? rectangular ? plastic for lightness ? metal mesh for strength ? block end, open end ? So many options. :) I suppose we all have our own favourites. :)

Related to the Korum backed Gribble's by any chance?!?! lol

Might be! Never hidden it. User name came up as David as that’s the name on my credit card. If I knew how to change it to Dai I would!

Regardless of being backed by Korum I like the Combi feeders. Not used the river ones yet but think the idea is reasonable.

What would your perfect river feeder look like ? round like a hair curler ? tunnel shaped ? rectangular ? plastic for lightness ? metal mesh for strength ? block end, open end ? So many options. :) I suppose we all have our own favourites. :)

The old type Drennan block ends were perfect, don't know why they had to bring out the new type, no where near as good.

What about this as a concept. Imagine this in a blister pack on display in your local tackle shop.

2 perf feeder bodies say oval in profile, 50mm long, one 20mm dia the other 30mm. 2 removable end caps to convert from open end to block end, fitting the smaller body externally and the medium body internally. 4x detachable leads c/w stem, 1/2oz 1oz, 1 1/2oz & 2oz attached by a dove tail system on the rear of the feeder body.

lets then have a second pack. This time with a 75mm long body but 40mm & 50mm dia. A large and extra large if you like. This time with 2oz, 2 1/2oz, 3oz and 4oz weights. Perhaps a larger dove tail arrangement to suit the additional weight but other than that with the same design principle.

Then as a further design, lets say the 20mm body sits inside the 30mm. The 30mm in the 40mm and so on. What a space saving this would offer the angler! I think that the concept is easily achievable but saying that each pack would replace the need for 16 feeders, I doubt that any tackle manufacturer would be keen to take it to market but would have thought of the idea over the last 25 years!

Or am I just being cynical when i see a evolution in feeder body design only and nothing else.

I bought 6 of these in large 3oz size to try on my week on the middle severn and rigged them up on fathers rod as I use him to test any new product or bait any on the first day towards the end of our session he baited up cast out and the line went slack and reeled in to find no feeder and just the undamaged plastic tag and attached swivel so thinking this was bad luck I put on another and the same happened to that the next day I think there is a design fault or badly made if you see the tag I dont think that its fixed on to much so I wont using them.
Regards Paul
Exact same thing happened to me, bought 4 of them, 2 disappeared on the first casts, all that was left was the insert as you say.

Hi guy's I emailed Korum about the problem with them and I haven't had any response from them but I knew that I wont be the only one with this problem with them I would have mind if I lost them in a snag and broke that way but they didn't.
Regards Paul

Back