• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Korum river feeders

Steve Brand

I have purchased a small selection of these to try out as the idea looks good nice low profile and available In a decent weight range.
However the small size Is a bit smaller than I was expecting and the large Isnt really that large, but I dare say they will have there uses.
Oh and they are not that cheap wouldnt want to be chucking them out Into a peg that I wasnt sure was pretty snag free.
Also I hadnt realised that the upper end of the feeder Is not like a conventional open ender Its closed off with the plastic mesh same as the body.
Also at the closed end there Is a tube that protrudes into the body of the feeder, not sure what the purpose of this Is maybe Its a facility to create an inline option.
Has anyone else any experience of how these feeders perform I will be trying them out shortly on the trent In a peg that I have only ever lost one feeder In so fingers crossed they stay put on my line.
So I will report back after giving them a go like I say I dare say they will have there uses might help put a fish on the bank who knows.

I saw an angler using one of these feeders yesterday. As you say Steve, the low profile seems like a good idea but they really aren't much use for delivering any significant volume of bait. I hope not too many anglers start using them on my local river Severn - the fish will certainly not be putting on much weight due to over-eating. Or maybe that's the point - some government minister may have decided that the fight against obesity should also be extended to barbel!

Steve,
I enquired about these in my local tackle shop after seeing them in a magazine article.They are yet to receive their delivery at present but was told that other than the low profile/ lower required weight theory,the other feature was the ability to be also used in line when required. If they're expensive,I hope you don't lose many.:D

Gimmick give be big and bulky any day

Low profile, sounds like tackle talk for add a quid to me. Make your own with a bit of mesh and lead a squeeze the profile down.

Gimmick springs to mind.

bought some more rubbish

**** need plenty of flow to let them empty,tried em there rubbish,will stick to hair rollers!!!!!!!!

I match fish as well as barbel fish, and believe me, the gimmicks in that arm of the sport make big bucks!

I saw an angler using one of these feeders yesterday. As you say Steve, the low profile seems like a good idea but they really aren't much use for delivering any significant volume of bait. I hope not too many anglers start using them on my local river Severn - the fish will certainly not be putting on much weight due to over-eating. Or maybe that's the point - some government minister may have decided that the fight against obesity should also be extended to barbel!

Interesting you should mention fish obesity are there not many people suggesting the use of excessive amounts of high oil pellets being very bad for coarse fish so maybe the use of these feeders may be a good thing;)
I do use halibut pellets for barbel but would not pile In large amounts of bait which Is what some experts suggest on some of the larger and more prolific barbel rivers.

Low profile, sounds like tackle talk for add a quid to me. Make your own with a bit of mesh and lead a squeeze the profile down.

Gimmick springs to mind.

Making my own did cross my mind but I doubt the number I use would affect the world lead price or send the garden centres profits soaring through mesh sales;)

I tried a couple of the large feeders on the Middle Trent last week. I had no problem with the bait coming out of the one end, if you are using ground bait to plug your feeder then you only need to plug one end so get about the same number of pellets in.
The flow was not enough to test if I could get away with much less weight, although the theory is sound, lower profile less weight required.
Based on cost, capacity etc I have just bought another load of FFF feeders!!!

I tried a couple of the large feeders on the Middle Trent last week. I had no problem with the bait coming out of the one end, if you are using ground bait to plug your feeder then you only need to plug one end so get about the same number of pellets in.
The flow was not enough to test if I could get away with much less weight, although the theory is sound, lower profile less weight required.
Based on cost, capacity etc I have just bought another load of FFF feeders!!!

As I suggested they will probably have there uses and your description of how they empty seems to make sense, for when a lot of bait isnt required they should be very good.

Interesting you should mention fish obesity are there not many people suggesting the use of excessive amounts of high oil pellets being very bad for coarse fish so maybe the use of these feeders may be a good thing;)
I do use halibut pellets for barbel but would not pile In large amounts of bait which Is what some experts suggest on some of the larger and more prolific barbel rivers.

My thoughts too Steve.

korum river feeders

HI came across an interesting post about homemade feeders that are in effect a closed feeder using a hinged lid fixed by cable ties I know the korum feeders are new and generating mixed reviews but they would be ideal for conversion to this style of feeder.
Had a play around with some wire mesh and ties and a hinged lid could be easily made just snip a couple of the ties and leave the hinge In place refill re tie and away you go:D
looking for some fine mesh now, think I might have found the stuff 2mm plastic insect mesh;)
Sounds great and think of the bait you will save calorie controled barbel here I come;)
All the flavour and attraction minimum calories skinny barbel heaven!!!!!!

Ive seen how rapala tank test their lures. I would like to see a similar test to verify those claims about the profile of those feeders mentioned. Less weight in the feeder to me means that the feeder will be carried further downstream by the current when cast and obviously this will be subject to depth. Will the flat profile of the feeder indeed act like a kite and be carried further down stream? How much bait will be deposited as the feeder travels? All can be compensated for by altering ground bait mixes and casting but at the moment the sales patter just dosent ring true to me, I suppose I will have to invest in a few and see for myself.

Ive seen how rapala tank test their lures. I would like to see a similar test to verify those claims about the profile of those feeders mentioned. Less weight in the feeder to me means that the feeder will be carried further downstream by the current when cast and obviously this will be subject to depth. Will the flat profile of the feeder indeed act like a kite and be carried further down stream? How much bait will be deposited as the feeder travels? All can be compensated for by altering ground bait mixes and casting but at the moment the sales patter just dosent ring true to me, I suppose I will have to invest in a few and see for myself.

If you do that Justin, the 'sales patter' may not 'ring true' to you...but it will have worked beautifully for them :D

Cheers, Dave.

If you do that Justin, the 'sales patter' may not 'ring true' to you...but it will have worked beautifully for them :D

Cheers, Dave.
First time on the bank and very impressed with these feeders hold bottom well and no problems emptying at all will be getting some of the 4oz large size for sure for when theres a drop In.:)

I bought 6 of these in large 3oz size to try on my week on the middle severn and rigged them up on fathers rod as I use him to test any new product or bait any on the first day towards the end of our session he baited up cast out and the line went slack and reeled in to find no feeder and just the undamaged plastic tag and attached swivel so thinking this was bad luck I put on another and the same happened to that the next day I think there is a design fault or badly made if you see the tag I dont think that its fixed on to much so I wont using them.
Regards Paul

I bought 6 of these in large 3oz size to try on my week on the middle severn and rigged them up on fathers rod as I use him to test any new product or bait any on the first day towards the end of our session he baited up cast out and the line went slack and reeled in to find no feeder and just the undamaged plastic tag and attached swivel so thinking this was bad luck I put on another and the same happened to that the next day I think there is a design fault or badly made if you see the tag I dont think that its fixed on to much so I wont using them.
Regards Paul

Not had that problem yet touch wood but It dont sound that great the feeders do look on first inspection well made they should be for the price, will have to investigate further.

Regards Paul
Had a quick check of mine today as I am going on the trent tomorrow and they seem to appear ok, the plastic stem seems to be trapped In place by the weighted part of the feeder so you can see how it could become detached If the lead has not been securely fixed during manufacture mine seem ok will give them a further testing on the trent .

Back