• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New footwear for winter recommendations

I bought Grubs Snowline boots to replace the Muckboots Arctic I once owned. The arctic's sole (just on one boot) started to come loose after about three seasons and was almost completely off when I binned them.
The jury's still out on Grubs, but have now had for two seasons and going strong. Prefer the sole on the Grubs too, for longer distance swims.
Should you be swimming in your gum boots Rich ? 🤣🤣🤣
I’ll get my coat!

Check out MUKLUK Wellys they last for years and are cheap compared to lots of other makes.
I have muck boots but these MUKLUKS are the warmest Wally boots I have ever worn and I have had them for many years.

Another vote for the Muck boots. muckmasters are a bit tougher with the rubber high up the leg👍
No problems with mine & comfortable to wear.

Do any of these recommendations actually keep your feet warm if you're static. No matter what I've tried, always have to go for a walk to warm my feet. Especially toes.
Dreading the thought of winter now!
Might need something for inside the house this winter. Brrrrrr

Do any of these recommendations actually keep your feet warm if you're static. No matter what I've tried, always have to go for a walk to warm my feet. Especially toes.
Dreading the thought of winter now!
Might need something for inside the house this winter. Brrrrrr
I’m exactly the same Michael, hence me starting the thread. It’s a circulation problem. I do the same have a walk up and down to warm them up lol…… very tempted to try the arctic sport muck boots after all the recommendations and read some great reviews for those as well

I’m exactly the same Michael, hence me starting the thread. It’s a circulation problem. I do the same have a walk up and down to warm them up lol…… very tempted to try the arctic sport muck boots after all the recommendations and read some great reviews for those as well
Neil, like you my feet get cold and Im afraid the Arctic Sports are the same for me.

Yeah I still get cold feet in mine but they’re better than walking boots. I brought a box of toe warmers a year or so back that help a bit but I have to stick them directly on my toes not on the outside of my socks

if you haven’t got to walk too far the then skee-tex are probably one of the warmest boots I’ve worn but there so bulky to walk in. years ago when i done match fishing I had some boots i think we’re called boom 80 they were so warm but haven’t seen these about for many years.

Here you go boom 80

Attachments

• 307FCF82-7077-4686-BB93-47D3F73B1B00.png
    307FCF82-7077-4686-BB93-47D3F73B1B00.png
    576.6 KB · Views: 125
I've been wearing Grubs Speyline 4.0 wellies for the last couple of winters and they are quite frankly a revelation! Coming from a carper who's worn all kinds of muckers / walking boots / skeetex field boots and everything else in between over the years these are the perfect balance IMO.

https://www.sam-turner.co.uk/products/grubs-speyline-4-0-wellington-boots

Comfort / warmth / wicking and no nonsense waterproof these have an excellent vibram traction sole and are surprisingly easy to walk in without getting sweaty and then suffering from cold toes when you're static. Happy to wear these with decent merino socks most of the time - have got some liners for when its silly cold which work perfectly

For perfect balance you need to wear walking boots to the swim and then insulated moonboots (eg Skeetex) whilst fishing however who wants to lug 2 pairs of footwear about when river fishing - the grubs are a good balance of both and the liners will stuff into a rucksack no probs!

Interesting how we have different experiences Keith, I find the lining wears out quickly in the Muck boots and Ive also experiences soles coming unstuck, all on my more recent purchases, the older ones were much better imo.
I still wear the first pair of Muckboots that I purchased at least 10 years ago, they are my go to winter footwear ;)

I bought a pair of muck boots a few years ago after previously wearing hiking boots and thick socks for all my winter angling. I will never wear hiking boots again. I am a big fan of muck boots now and can't recommend them highly enough, but appreciate it is down to personal preference.
Which ones did you buy?

Neil, like you my feet get cold and Im afraid the Arctic Sports are the same for me.
Ah that’s a shame Cliff. I fear it’s just a bad circulation issue and maybe nothing will solve it when sitting in the same spot for long periods in the winter… may still give the muckboots a go anyway as I need something

Back