• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New footwear for winter recommendations

For a bit of clarification:- I bought a pair of Arctic sports around 2017, still going strong and quite warm enough for me and I suffer with extremely poor circulation especially to my feet. Wanted to get another pair for my son but discovered that the spec had changed and now include fleece lining. I felt this was too much and would be unnecessarily warm if walking any distance. The muckmasters are pretty much the same as the older, arctic sports so take your pick.

The muck boot muckmaster are aimed at the farming community, now that is some field test😉
The newer one may not be up to the standard of the older ones but that the case with most things we purchase today.
Not sure quite when I purchased mine but over 3 years ago payed £80 with a voucher code so far that’s £26 per year🤣
I’ve just done a quick search and Cotswold outdoors doing them for £72 as are a few other companies now that’s a bargain 💥

I've been using Arctic Muck Boots for a couple of seasons now, along with some Possum fur insoles. I am diabetic and suffer with poor circulation in my feet.

There is always a trade off with boots, between static and for walking, and this is the best compromise for me. Stop my feet sweating and hence getting cold, along with popping my feet on my unhooking mat when sat still.

Best insoles you will find...

The muck boot muckmaster are aimed at the farming community, now that is some field test😉
The newer one may not be up to the standard of the older ones but that the case with most things we purchase today.
Not sure quite when I purchased mine but over 3 years ago payed £80 with a voucher code so far that’s £26 per year🤣
I’ve just done a quick search and Cotswold outdoors doing them for £72 as are a few other companies now that’s a bargain 💥
checked 3 places doing them for £72 inc Cotswold.. none have my size 😩

Anyone use or tried sealskinz socks? And If so any good?

I have, but not for fishing in. I wore them when I hill walked a lot. More for the waterproof quality's than warmth. They were good for what I needed at that time, but not sure how much of a benefit they would be in a fishing situation.

1 012.jpg

Mesh Inov8 trail shoes, with Sealskinz and a liner sock. Kept my feet dry, but they were cold due to my shoes being wet.

Still considering getting some muckboots but for now I’ve ordered some new fancy winter innersoles and some expensive! Merino wool socks … will give this combo a try with my current boots even if it gives me one more winter then make a change to the muck boots. Thanks for all the advice you Barbel angling bunch of beauties 🙂

When I brought mine I brought 2 sizes bigger. I wanted just one size bigger so I’d have room to wiggle my toes as I think tight boots make your feet cold but that size was £35 more. I can wear a good pair of Marino wool socks and a pair of boot liners and still have wiggle room in the size 12 I brought for £80

I bought Grubs Snowline boots to replace the Muckboots Arctic I once owned. The arctic's sole (just on one boot) started to come loose after about three seasons and was almost completely off when I binned them.
The jury's still out on Grubs, but have now had for two seasons and going strong. Prefer the sole on the Grubs too, for longer distance swims.
I've switched to Grubs Snowline too, got two pairs, all good so far.

Just ordered 2 pairs of the Fencham Verone. Great deal with the 40% discount on both pairs.
I have a pair of the shorter boots they make I dont like full length boots they are on

Steven Hodges

offer gets reduced by 40% to around £38 odd at checkout
free delivery too proper bargain now too

I’ve just received 2 pairs of the Fencham boots as I needed a new pair of non-neoprenes and some more neoprenes as an alternative to my fantastic Aigle boots. £70 odd for the two pairs seems like very good value.

First impressions are good, with two provisos:
1. They are very big for their size (as stated on the website).
2. They are quite short in the leg; as in 2-3” lower than most welly boots. Could be an issue when I’m paddling in the margins of the Thames unhooking double figure bream…..not a problem for dog walking, work and shooting.

Just a heads up for you guys that have ordered any boots from Fencham. The two pairs I received look great, but tried a pair on last night fly fishing and they leaked on the left boot. So I thought I had better try on the other pair for back up. Filled one of those builders buckets up with water and stood in it. They both let water in as well. I can't make a good pair out of all of them. So phone call tomorrow to see what they are going to do about it.😠

Just an update after starting this thread last year. After weighing up all the options I went from my old Scarpa terra walking boots to some arctic sport muck boots. Some on here had given negative reviews but honestly gotta say for the one winter I’ve worn them, regularly as well, I’ve loved them.
In real cold weather and sitting on the bank for long periods my feet did get cold but considering I’ve always suffered cold feet these have been the best boots I’ve worn so far only getting a bit cold on real cold days when static. Seriously comfortable, even to walk in!! Completely waterproof so far and had no problems with grip in slippery muddy conditions. Time will tell how long they last but for now a definite thumbs up.

Fencham boots update:

5 weeks in (worn maybe 20 times) and today one of my F standard rubber boots developed a 1” split In the upper.

Email and photo heading back to them tomorrow……

Back