• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New footwear for winter recommendations

Neil Lumby

In the market for some new footwear as we move into winter. For the last 6/7 years I’ve had a pair of walking/ hiking boots (Scarpa terra gtx) and in hiking boots terms I’ve loved them.. seriously comfortable, 100% waterproof and excellent quality that have lasted much longer than I could have hoped for.. the only issue I have is cold feet. Now I know hiking boots aren’t really made for warmth when it comes to fishing static… so before I go and buy another pair (if I’m going down the hiking boot route I’ll definitely get these again).. can anyone recommend something similar ish that will also keep my feet warm, or is there no such thing? I’ve considered muck boots but they just look so big and bulky compared to what I’m used to.
If I stick with the Scarpas maybe some recommendations for the best socks out there for warmth?
Thanks.

I use these had mine 3 seasons still going strong

Attachments

• 1D17F781-CB52-472D-A7DC-0C585A9F56B3.jpeg
    1D17F781-CB52-472D-A7DC-0C585A9F56B3.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 228
Another vote for neoprene wellies.

Either Muck boots or of you can find them at a sensible price, Aigle.

I use the latter for fishing, shooting and work so they get worn a great deal. A pair lasts me 3 years.

I bought this from saber tackle last winter, I think they are as good as muck boots but much cheaper.

I bought a pair of those too and agree the quality is good for the price - the sizing is massive, though! I ordered a size 12, which fits me perfectly in every other make of boot or shoe I've had previously, but these needed several pairs of socks/insoles before they were remotely safe to walk in. Luckily, I've recently discovered Bama Sockettes, which really do keep you feet warm inside a pair of cheapo Dunlop wellies (which incidentally last just as long as much more expensive boots). https://www.theshoelace.co.uk/acatalog/Bama-Sokkets--Wellie-Warmers--500429_A.html

Bought a pair of Gateway woodwalker neoprene wellies a couple of years ago they are incredibly comfortable and keep your feet warm too ....quite expensive to buy but worth having a look at if within your budget

In the market for some new footwear as we move into winter. For the last 6/7 years I’ve had a pair of walking/ hiking boots (Scarpa terra gtx) and in hiking boots terms I’ve loved them.. seriously comfortable, 100% waterproof and excellent quality that have lasted much longer than I could have hoped for.. the only issue I have is cold feet. Now I know hiking boots aren’t really made for warmth when it comes to fishing static… so before I go and buy another pair (if I’m going down the hiking boot route I’ll definitely get these again).. can anyone recommend something similar ish that will also keep my feet warm, or is there no such thing? I’ve considered muck boots but they just look so big and bulky compared to what I’m used to.
If I stick with the Scarpas maybe some recommendations for the best socks out there for warmth?
Thanks.
I use scarpa ranger gtx, they are insulated, with a pair of bridgdale heavy socks, I fish in all weathers and rarely suffer with cold feet.

I'd recommend grubbs rather than muck boots, theyre a little cheaper and better quality. Ive been wearing muck boots for 15 years and the last two or 3 pairs have been poor quality.
I purchased some Grubbs after years of using Muckboots. Wrong decision. Muckboots are by far a better product.
As the saying goes "you get what you pay for"

I purchased some Grubbs after years of using Muckboots. Wrong decision. Muckboots are by far a better product.
Interesting how we have different experiences Keith, I find the lining wears out quickly in the Muck boots and Ive also experiences soles coming unstuck, all on my more recent purchases, the older ones were much better imo.

I bought Grubs Snowline boots to replace the Muckboots Arctic I once owned. The arctic's sole (just on one boot) started to come loose after about three seasons and was almost completely off when I binned them.
The jury's still out on Grubs, but have now had for two seasons and going strong. Prefer the sole on the Grubs too, for longer distance swims.

Back