• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New club at Topcliffe

Stuart Brookes

As all Barbel Society members are aware the Asenby stretch at Topcliffe now has a new owner. He has set up a new club/syndicate called Topcliffe Anglers and is now accepting members. The cost is £70 per annum and Chirs is hoping to add more stretches to the existing one within that cost. THe rules are very much in line the BS rules with a few more standard rules added such as no live baits for pike fishing. The bottom three fields are used for clay pigeon shooting but only for 28 days per year and only one field at a time, while noisy it should have little or no impact on fishing and access to the bank will be coordinated with the shoot master for safety purposes. Parking is now available inside the field near the shoots portacbin with a combination lock on the gate. Day tickets will be available for £8 a day but these must be prebooked with the owner as members were very keen to point out the potential pit falls of day tickets as can be witnessed at Cundall.
The stretch will be well bailiffed as the owner farms the land and I believe we have another bailff as well, the intention is to ensure no unwanted guest fish the stretch.
Should any one be interested either contact myself or Chris, the owner through his website Topcliffe Clay Pigeon Shooting North Yorkshire
Chris is an angler himself and his keen to ensure the fishing is maintained to previous standards.

Stu

a lot of people i've spoken to are 100% convinced its illegal to livebait. you can tell them until your blue in the face but they won't have it that its not

I am all for the no live baiting rule, as one of my favourite fish is Roach, how can any self confessed angler/conservasionist use another fish as bait. Would it be different if I live baited for catfish with a Barbel for instance, i think not, then why is it OK to use other species.
Sorry for that Stuart, just had to have my 2 penneth and good luck with the Topcliffe fishery, never fished it bit as a Yorky its on my list.

Putting the pike argument aside, sounds like an interesting proposition. I'll see what the finances are like (cap in hand to the Mrs) and put some serious thought into it.

I am all for the no live baiting rule, as one of my favourite fish is Roach, how can any self confessed angler/conservasionist use another fish as bait. Would it be different if I live baited for catfish with a Barbel for instance, i think not, then why is it OK to use other species.
Sorry for that Stuart, just had to have my 2 penneth and good luck with the Topcliffe fishery, never fished it bit as a Yorky its on my list.

Dont Pike eat roach...? alive or dead

if the pike doesn't eat the roach on the hook, don't you think it will eat another it swims past anyway?

well have in the past, i have seen pile anglers using gold fish for pike, surely thats illegal on the bridge water canal

With my PAC hat on...Since when has no livebaiting been a 'standard' rule???:(

Its a perfectly legal and legitimate method of fishing in England.
I really cannot understand why people just simply except it isn't.

Steve

Thanks for your comments Steve but livebaiting is not allowed on large parts of the Tees which is my regular river and I think the reason is to stop people using fish from other rivers and spreading diseases.

Thanks for your comments Steve but livebaiting is not allowed on large parts of the Tees which is my regular river and I think the reason is to stop people using fish from other rivers and spreading diseases.

Whether you agree or otherwise, many of the yorkshire AA and Clubs have itroduced similiar rules.

Clubs can introduce whatever rules they want for their waters, live bait / no live bait, barbless / barbed, keep nets / no keep nets etc. It is entirely up to the fishery owner. The point is that in England it's not illegal to use live bait but it may go against the rules of the club.

Certainly using live bait not taken from the venue (such as the Goldfish mentioned) would be illegal but only insofar as it would likely be classed as introducing fish without the relevant permits, it would be just as illegal as stocking fish without the right paperwork, the fact they were being used as bait is largely irrelevant. What's odd is that you could catch your bait one one venue, kill it, drive 10 mins to another venue and then use it as dead bait!

I wonder what those halibut pellets and fishmeal boilies you use to catch Barbel are made from Jon????

That's almost like a vegetarian eating mince because it doesn't look like proper meat.....

I also wonder how long it will be before those live maggots and live worms that anglers use, are subject to the very same ban's that are so readily accepted on live fish.
Thin end of the wedge imo

This isn't meant to be a direct dig at this water or its owners, I wish them the best of luck to the fishery, but it is once again a good example of how fragmented angling is.

Steve

Putting the pike argument aside, sounds like an interesting proposition. I'll see what the finances are like (cap in hand to the Mrs) and put some serious thought into it.

You won't disappointed if you do Jim and you will get a bend in those two new barbel rods you've just bought. The lads who have joined so far are a great bunch who are very friendly and helpful and I'm sure will help you break your duck.
Never mind cap in hand, just ninja it like I normally do:p She takes the hump for a while but she gets over it.

Cheers,

Stu

Hi Stuart ,I was not very familiar with the BS stretch but I do fish the Leeds DASA Asenby water on the opposite bank - does your side extend upstream above the road bridge ? also how many fields down from the bridge ?
Regards,

Mark.

Hello Mark, yes it goes three fields up from the road bridge and three fields down from the road bridge.

No unfortunately not Stephen our top boundary is next to the Angel pegs.

Hi Stuart - am I right in thinking the 3 fields above (upstream) the road bridge are very slim and in total are about 100 metres ?

Thanks,

Mark

Back