• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new brolly

i was going to get the korum 50" as i`m a fan of korum gear but at 3kg its about 1kg more than the one i currently use, which it pains me to say came from dragon cr*p for only a tenner.

If you've got the wit to reply like that on a forum for discussions , then I think your in the wrong place Richard, ;)

I think I am in exactly the right place. You like to call it a forum for discussion but that flies out the window as soon as someones legitimate opinion differs from the herd. Is this forum open or not?

The thread was a question for a view on a new brolly, not sarcasm Richard. I myself am interested on people's views regarding brollys , so if you deem fit not to put any constructive input in , don't bother posting :( .

What does it matter if Steve wants to ask advise about buying a Lightweight brolly?
That's exactly what the site is here for.

For what its worth Steve, I use the Korum 50inch brolly if I have to walk far.
Its a bit expensive at £50 odd, but reasonable light weight and I like the fact the pole can go in two different positions, meaning I can squeeze it into tight spots....
There is a slight issue with the mechanism for holding the brolly 'open', as sometimes it closes all on its own, but this only seems to happen when you first set the brolly up.
Once its up it seems ok....

Steve

OK I’ll say it. Steve if you squeeze it into a tight spot what do you use it for. The likes of me and you don’t make it into tight spots mate.
Re the self-closing mechanism on the Korum. Drill a 2mm hole in the pole above the screw joint. Buy a 1.5mm clevis pin( half a quid or less from B&Q , Stick clevis pin in hole after erection of brolly, Fish on in absolute confidence that the dam thing will not collapse and envelope you in a suffocating embrace just after you have consumed you lunch and nodded off.

PS When you go back to B&Q to buy the second clevis after you lose the first one in the oggin, buy a bit of string to tie it to one of the arms.
simples

Re the self-closing mechanism on the Korum. Drill a 2mm hole in the pole above the screw joint. Buy a 1.5mm clevis pin( half a quid or less from B&Q , Stick clevis pin in hole after erection of brolly, Fish on in absolute confidence that the dam thing will not collapse and envelope you in a suffocating embrace just after you have consumed you lunch and nodded off.

PS When you go back to B&Q to buy the second clevis after you lose the first one in the oggin, buy a bit of string to tie it to one of the arms.
simples

Kevin, thats the best bit of advice I've seen on here in a long time. Made me chuckle that, Thanks!:D

When you buy those clevis pins buy a couple more, then take the back legs of your chair, drill through the end of the bolts where the nuts usually go and put the legs back on using the pins in place of the nuts. You can then take the legs completely off on steep banks instead of folding them under and having the bar stick in your bum all day.

002-3_zps8dcbd391.jpg

Last edited:
When you buy those clevis pins buy a couple more, then take the back legs of your chair, drill through the end of the bolts where the nuts usually go and put the legs back on using the pins in place of the nuts. You can then take the legs completely off on steep banks instead of folding them under and having the bar stick in your bum all day.

Ok, I take it back, thats two bloody good pieces of advice given today!...lets not turn it into a 'Viz' advice page though...;)

Recently bought a fox matrix space brolly and used it for the first time Saturday. At last I think I have found a really light weight brolly which won't blow inside out at the the first fart of wind, not having the spokes to contend with is a big plus too. Compact when folded down and only a couple of kilos IMHO it is far better than any brolly I have used or seen... Every once in a while I buy something that I feel is money well spent and although I have only used it once Im prepared to take the gamble and say this is a great purchase.

Thanks for all the replys and a special thanks to Rick the Dick!

Ah yes, name calling, always guaranteed to raise a laugh amongst the intellectually challenged.

Anyway back to the thread and the reason for my post. There are many threads on here along the lines of which landing net handle / hook / brolly / rod / reel whatever, and the point I was failing to make was that threads such as this are not really very productive or ultimately helpful. Take the humble brolly for instance; I know a good few anglers who know what they are about and if you checked you would find that they use a different brolly for different reasons. My long time angling buddy uses a Wavelock that weighs a ton but he is happy with it as it’s built like a brick outhouse. Another good angling friend I know has wrestled with the Korum 50†and finally thrown it away as it has repeatedly collapsed on him and made him look like he was being attacked by a giant Venus Flytrap. However I find the Korum brolly is the one that fits my needs most closely. In other words if you want to find out which piece of angling equipment suits you best then just pop along to your local tackle shop (who really does need your business) and have a bit of a play and decide for yourself what suits you best. Then having taken this step apply the same reasoning to all your angling and do what feels right to you regarding rigs, baits, feeding etc etc and pretty soon you will be adopting an approach that is unique to yourself and who knows where this journey of discovery will end. OK you are going to go down a lot of blind alleys, I’ve lost count of the number of bright idea’s I’ve had that turned out to be complete turkey’s, but developing a confidence in your own instincts will pay dividends in the long run.

Back