• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new brolly

wait!

you'll have to wait mate till he gets back to get the best opinion;) you know what he's like with brollies:eek:

Correct steve neds to cut down what he takes.still have them same one I bought at the start of last season cannot remember the name but its light

Hate the things but living in Britain is a must have.Look at the Daiwa mission brolly,nice and light and not to expensive.

looking for Lightweight brolly any suggestions was going to ask Mr Wagstaff, but hes gone off on holiday, :cool:

Steve,

If you 'aint got the wit to purchase a brolly all by yourself without assistance then maybe trying to catch a fish is not for you......................

Steve,

If you 'aint got the wit to purchase a brolly all by yourself without assistance then maybe trying to catch a fish is not for you......................

What does it matter if Steve wants to ask advise about buying a Lightweight brolly?
That's exactly what the site is here for.

For what its worth Steve, I use the Korum 50inch brolly if I have to walk far.
Its a bit expensive at £50 odd, but reasonable light weight and I like the fact the pole can go in two different positions, meaning I can squeeze it into tight spots....
There is a slight issue with the mechanism for holding the brolly 'open', as sometimes it closes all on its own, but this only seems to happen when you first set the brolly up.
Once its up it seems ok....

Steve

That's a bit unfair Richard, some people like to research before they buy, asking advice from others who may have experience of different products is only a form of research.

My lightweight brolley is a £10 Aldi job, it suits me fine.

Ive heard the korum fibreshield is pretty poor, two bloke I know have HAD them and didnt rate them. My initial purchase was a daiwa mission overnighter, not really labelled as a brolly as such but those side walls keep that cold wind out. I recently bought a JRC 60" but have yet to use it, Once I do i'll give my opinion. hope this helps.:)

I have several brollies. In the summer when there is not too much rain (!!!!) I use a very cheap 45" but for overnighters and bad winter conditions I might change to a 50" Korum stormshield with wings. This can be heavy so I also have a light nylon Leeda 50" for longer walks / days bad conditions. I also haver a 50" wavelock but this is heavy so don't tend to use it for barbel fishing involving long walks. I have recently been thinking about a light golf umbrella when the forecast is short intermittent showers jusy to keep the worst of the rain off until it dries up again.

The old army poncho could be another option Steve, bit clammy in the heat but with this weather you will have to get a thermal poncho. Depends on your walk to your swim(s) and the length of time your going to be there.

The old army poncho could be another option Steve, bit clammy in the heat but with this weather you will have to get a thermal poncho. Depends on your walk to your swim(s) and the length of time your going to be there.

Had one for years Patrick,...bloody useless if you roll your own!!

Steve,

If you've got the wit to reply like that on a forum for discussions , then I think your in the wrong place Richard, ;)

Had one for years Patrick,...bloody useless if you roll your own!!

Dave Im a non smoker so I wouldnt know, handy if your waiting for mr fox to come along for a lead party though!!!:D

Perhaps some kind of very wide brimmed hat would help Dave? A sombrero?

Ole amigo

I must admit I use a poncho but do yearn for the wind break effect of an umbrella. Let's face it wind chill can be a bigger spoiler than rain and most of the places I fish on the Tees and Swale just do not lend themselves to the bigger day shelter type brollies.
My old brolly seems to be finally giving up the ghost after 20 years plus so suppose I'm going to have to put my hand in my pocket. Keep the recommendations coming, plenty of food for thought.

Steve,

Have a look at these waterline brollies - I went for the cheapest one, very light to carry but a wouldn't fancy using in in strong wind- but for carrying in my rod quiver for roaming the Teme in the rain it's perfect. I purchased a heavier duty universal brolly pole that can be screwed very securely into the bank in windy conditions but that's a bit heavy so will only use that in windy conditions. In general the standard pole suffices.

Look here : umbrellas

Last edited:
Have had a 45inch Waterline Fibrelite for 6 years never had a problem but did upgrade to a solid screw in pole.

Back