• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Baitrunners

I know the OCs & Ds get a lot of plaudits on here. I’ve never used ‘em, so can’t comment. I’ve used X Aeros for the last couple of years and they’re cracking reels. And the styling is nice, not as important granted, but they really do look the biz.
Agree Alex. I reckon if they came with single handles I'd have bought a pair already (but I do know singles can be bought)

Ok, so I'd got it down to a pair of Shimmy 6000D, an OC, or X-Aero, or Daiwa BR25A ... but now I've just come across the Shimmy XT-B LC (Medium) Not easy without trying them all out is it.
Have the xta lc (mediums) which were the xtb predecessors. Lovely reels but quite big. Don't barbel fish with them but could do on bigger waters like the lower severn or trent. Also have the xtb spod reel which is great for the money.

Agree Alex. I reckon if they came with single handles I'd have bought a pair already (but I do know singles can be bought)
Just be aware with the X’s they have a tendency to take line under the spool if you snap over the bail and quickly make a handle turn.
I have one and I love it. But this is in the back of my mind every time I use it. I snap the bail over apply some tension on the line then take a handle turn and it’s flawless.
I reckon they’d make crap trotting reels as you can’t really think about that when striking from an open bail.

I always, well almost, close the bail arm by hand. No point in putting extra wear on the spring, and makes everything a lot smoother. As far as striking when trotting, agree its a problem, I know the correct technique is trap the line with a finger against the spool, but never felt comfortable doing that.

Back