• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Nasty Looking Wounds

Nic Costar

Hi all,

A mate of mine caught this barbel of 6lb the other week, he was a bit shocked to see the damaged that it had a long it's body, he normally wouldn't bother taking photos of a small barbel like this but wanted to show me how bad the marks were.
Anyone got any suggestions on what would of coursed it ?

6lb%25201oz%2520%281%29.jpg

6lb%25201oz%2520Scared.jpg

Dorsal looks ragged as well, maybe the fish was attacked from above ? Not sure what attacked it though, 3 clear marks on the flank, caused by what ?

Dave

If you catch them again, treat the wounds with neat Friars Balsam and it will heal ok and just leave scars!..if not already done so!

Possibly otter claws ? Ray, where do we get the Friars Balsam ? Any of the online fishing websites stock it ? Can Andy possibly stock it in the future on BFW.

Derek...You can get it from the chemists on the high street. A small bottle cost is 99p -£1.99p ish depending on size. Get some cotton buds to dab it on the wounds.
friarsbalsam.jpg

Last edited:
Had a small one at the end of June with similar wounds to both flanks, no otters about on that stretch and definately no cats, no idea what caused the damage which was more like severe friction burns than claw or tooth marks

Hi
I always carry some bonjella is as good as any carp clinic and a lot cheaper.
;)

Had a small one at the end of June with similar wounds to both flanks, no otters about on that stretch and definately no cats, no idea what caused the damage which was more like severe friction burns than claw or tooth marks
30 pound pike that's got old and lost it's teeth.....:eek:

To me the first and second photo look like it has possibly been attacked from above rather thab a side impact i would have guessed catfish due to the shape of the wound but the second photo looks almost cetain to be an otter with the look of three claw marks. I wouldnt suggest a cormerant or pike
Regards

What i find a bit concerning is that with recent catches on the Tidal Trent the majority of fish caught, including the bigger ones,are showing puncture wounds in some form or another.

jason-murray-albums-album-picture3753-barbel-damage.jpg

I had this fish last week on the Yorkshire Ouse.Opposite flank had 3 clean half inch slash wounds.Otter?

I and others repeatedly caught a barbel with similar if not worse damage from the Yorkshire Ouse . From memory it came out on at least 6 occasions from the same swim over several years , never gained or lost weight despite some horrific damage

Back