• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

My catch of the year so far.

Andy, i often have a nibble whislt baiting the hook, is that wrong? sounds wrong but taste's good!

Black pepper for me everytime, tried the garlic a few times but a switch to the peppered version scored with the fish, strange but true......never really had much sucess with garlic flavours for barbel, either in boilies or when mixed with hemp but thats just me.......

I have tried Garlic spam and the Black pepper variety. The Garlic spam isn't really that stinky IMO. So i add garlic granules and salt to it and then freeze it. I have had more success with the Black pepper spam, so am more confident fishing with this.

Last edited:
Not for human consumption,could be about right,as I contacted Spam a few months ago regarding availability of Stinky French Garlic,and they told me it had only been a short novelty production run to support the release of the play Spamalot.I think that play was first shown in 2004.I don't know when they stopped producing/importing it,but if it gives an angler a confidence boost then it's "happy days"for them.Just don't try sampling it's delights to be on the safe side;)

Pete

Not tried the black pepper spam but have had excellent results on the garlic spam, tried to get hold of the hot and spicy spam but cant get it sent over as its a meat product! Watched barbel reject plain meat in the summer then run through with the garlic stuff and they grabbed it as quick as they could! that was enough for me! always have some tins in my rucksack although supplies are getting thin! anybody know where there is somne for sale?

I bought a tin of hot and spicy luncheon meat from Trafford Angling the other day.....do you think the fish will know the difference? I'm pretty sure this stuff should NOT be on the luncheon menu :)

Reading through the posts on this thread I can't help but think that the people at Spam are missing a trick with regards to not branching out into fishing baits! I reckon more people use Spam as bait rather than for human consumption, understandable really!

Not for human consumption,could be about right,as I contacted Spam a few months ago regarding availability of Stinky French Garlic,and they told me it had only been a short novelty production run to support the release of the play Spamalot.

you got to love people in marketing :rolleyes:

Back