• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Must read Barbel books.

Richard Dawson

I've been fishing properly for 4 or 5 years now and have been Barbel fishing for 2.

I can pretty much pick out a likely peg on a small river like the Derwent and catch fish, especially around September time. But i'm useless on big rivers like the Trent unless i go to a known day ticket stretch that i know produces.

Any Barbel books i can get my hands on that are an absolute MUST have? I'm looking to do some reading over the winter so i'm better prepared for next season and perhaps can have a proper go at the Trent, finding my own pegs rather than fishing in all the popular places that other people fish :)

Having recently turned 40 i figure i've got another 20-25 years of being mobile and roaming the banks so i better make haste and get better at this Barbel lark :D

His flask didn’t tho!

Time for an upgrade @Simon Archer

Same one i use, practically indestructible :D

But there is also this one for hardcore flask vandals ;)

Time for an upgrade @Simon Archer

Same one i use, practically indestructible :D

But there is also this one for hardcore flask vandals ;)
i have a stainless king wich is great, now have another, in asda the other day,£12,50😃unfortunately only 1 left or i may have bought more lol

I've been fishing properly for 4 or 5 years now and have been Barbel fishing for 2.

I can pretty much pick out a likely peg on a small river like the Derwent and catch fish, especially around September time. But i'm useless on big rivers like the Trent unless i go to a known day ticket stretch that i know produces.

Any Barbel books i can get my hands on that are an absolute MUST have? I'm looking to do some reading over the winter so i'm better prepared for next season and perhaps can have a proper go at the Trent, finding my own pegs rather than fishing in all the popular places that other people fish :)

Having recently turned 40 i figure i've got another 20-25 years of being mobile and roaming the banks so i better make haste and get better at this Barbel lark :D
Trefor West - Barbel - A Lifetimes Addiction - excellent advice on feeding patterns, watercraft and very entertaining.

Avon Days and Stour Ways is indeed an excellent book. Nick Gile's The Nature Of Barbel is the first book I would recommend. especially for furthering anyone's knowledge of Barbel.

Nick Gile's The Nature Of Barbel is the first book I would recommend. especially for furthering anyone's knowledge of Barbel.
Agreed. It was getting rather pricey a few years ago, especially considering it was a paper back.

I thought Fred Crouch’s Understanding Barbel was very good too, though I seem to remember a few posts on here (or perhaps elsewhere) being a bit critical of it.

Tony Miles Elite barbel is a great book. Trevor West's Lifetime Addiction is good although beware of the binding glue ensuring the book falls apart. Any of Stephen Sayners books are worth a read. All good reads.

Anything by Tony Miles and Kevin Grozier!

Little Egret Press has an upcoming title: Willow Pitch VII - The Barbel Edition - compiled by Terry Theobald. Contributions from a multitude of anglers from all around the country, the one thing they all have in common is barbel!

Quest for Barbel by Tony Miles and Trefor West. This is the Holy Grail of barbel books and was pioneering in the info' that it revealed (people take it for granted now).

Elite barbel is excellent, and Trefor's book was great too but Quest for Barbel lays the foundations.

All imho of course.

To be honest most of the'' how to catch ''Barbel books are pretty much of a muchness as it isn't really rocket science, the Quest for Barbel is a good read as it combines the how to with some good yarns .The best Barbel themed book in my opinion is Jon Berrys '' A can of Worms , the story of Barbel and the men who fished for them ''.It's a brilliant read , informative and amusing in equal measure , well researched . I think the sign of a good fishing book is one that you return to again and again ,my copy of A can of worms is very well thumbed .

To be honest most of the'' how to catch ''Barbel books are pretty much of a muchness as it isn't really rocket science, the Quest for Barbel is a good read as it combines the how to with some good yarns .The best Barbel themed book in my opinion is Jon Berrys '' A can of Worms , the story of Barbel and the men who fished for them ''.It's a brilliant read , informative and amusing in equal measure , well researched . I think the sign of a good fishing book is one that you return to again and again ,my copy of A can of worms is very well thumbed .
Anything by Jon Berry is always good and very well researched. A Can Of Worms is no exception. Not barbel related of course but Beneath The Blackwater is just brilliant. An absolute odyssey of a book about Ferox trout. It ranks with the very best angling books.

Back