• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Must read Barbel books.

To be honest most of the'' how to catch ''Barbel books are pretty much of a muchness as it isn't really rocket science, the Quest for Barbel is a good read as it combines the how to with some good yarns .The best Barbel themed book in my opinion is Jon Berrys '' A can of Worms , the story of Barbel and the men who fished for them ''.It's a brilliant read , informative and amusing in equal measure , well researched . I think the sign of a good fishing book is one that you return to again and again ,my copy of A can of worms is very well thumbed .

That’s why I think Elite Barbel is such a great book. I’ve read it a few times, and every time it feels like I’m there on the Ouse, looking at those fish or climbing over the stiles! Brilliant storytelling of a golden era in Barbel fishing.

Anything by Tony Miles and Kevin Grozier!

Little Egret Press has an upcoming title: Willow Pitch VII - The Barbel Edition - compiled by Terry Theobald. Contributions from a multitude of anglers from all around the country, the one thing they all have in common is barbel!
Sounds interesting i like the books with different peoples stories being told like the osprey book and barbel catchers 1s

Anything by Tony Miles and Kevin Grozier!

Little Egret Press has an upcoming title: Willow Pitch VII - The Barbel Edition - compiled by Terry Theobald. Contributions from a multitude of anglers from all around the country, the one thing they all have in common is barbel!
However, each contributor is limited to a few thousand words; it will be difficult for each to give more than a personal approach; and with multiple minds there will be multiple ways to approach CATCHING barbel. However, it will be a great read, chapters by guys who know how to catch barbel on their own rivers.

For help and advice you are probably better of asking on here … I don’t think there is a modern up to date barbel book in existence… don’t get me wrong there have been some great books written in the past .. but they are of they’re time . The fishing world progresses very quickly
( barbel anglers and rigs the exception…. don’t get me started 😂 )
It’s a shame because I love a good fishing book but I think the popularity of angling books is on the slide as most people will go to a forum or watch a YouTube video
The books some of the other lads recommended are still great books and worth a read although personally I find some of the Steve stayner stuff a bit hard going the total opposite to Chris Yates for example

For help and advice you are probably better of asking on here … I don’t think there is a modern up to date barbel book in existence… don’t get me wrong there have been some great books written in the past .. but they are of they’re time . The fishing world progresses very quickly
It’s a shame because I love a good fishing book but I think the popularity of angling books is on the slide as most people will go to a forum or watch a YouTube video
The books some of the other lads recommended are still great books and worth a read although personally I find some of the Steve stayner stuff a bit hard going the total opposite to Chris Yates for example
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve got plenty of the old books, but some are of limited relevance on todays low stock venues.

There is a definite gap in the market for a modern barbel book from somebody who actually understands what is going on……

Steve stayner ( think I've spent it right) and Tony miles ,Steve's books are exceptional watercraft o floodwater fishing he covers everything in each book ..

Hi Ste, do any of Steve's books in particular cover floodwater fishing?

Cheers

Christian
Yes mate they all do ,my opion best author on barbel books as he covers everything,barbel obsession is like a best off of his other books and in my opinion not as good as the rest but is fairly rare so would go for the others first.you can pick up his first book on ebay usually for about 30/40 quid especially signed.

Agree with Mike regarding 'A Can of Worms'. I've read and re-read this several times.

Barbel River by Mark Everard is unique and well worth a read. It's certainly the only book I've read written from the perspective of a barbel!

Another good book is 'Barbel Rivers and Captures' by the Barbel Catchers. Well put together, and offers interesting insights into a range of different rivers and approaches.

i have a stainless king wich is great, now have another, in asda the other day,£12,50😃unfortunately only 1 left or i may have bought more lol
You jammy sod 😂
😁👍

Still, mine is still going strong after 10 + years, but a spare is always most welcome. 👍

Good point. Probably just as good and quicker advice on hand here these days. In recent years there have been published quite a few single species books are multi-contributor books. Red-Eye (Tench), Northern River Pike, Tinca Tinca, River Pike. Often with the 'author' having only contributed the one chapter. These are interesting to me due to the varying approaches of each angler. Food for thought.

I think that a multi-contributor barbel book is well overdue.

Richard. If you're interested in Steve Stayner books PM me.

Back