• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Muck Boots

Andy Millichamp

With my last pair of wellies wearing out in a season and getting a walking boot full of water on session, I've decided it's time in invest in some Muck Boots.

But which to buy? For example, there's the Tweed at £47, the Derwent at £49, the Esk at £60, the Tay at £62 and the Tay Sport at £79 — and they all look the same :confused:

Okay, I'm easily confused, but can anyone shed some light on the differences? Is it worth the extra £13 for the Tay or £32 for the Sport?

I have managed to work out that the Tay Sport is an extreme cold boot, but does that mean it gets too warm in milder weather?

After breaking a foot a few years ago and still suffering from a number of past motorcycle stunts I thought wearing wellies was a thing of the past.
However I recently invested in a pair of Derwents and must say they are really comfortable ,good to walk in have a good grip and were extremly warm last weekend when the frost was on the ground with no extra socks.
I can recommend the supplier posted by Robin as I tried on a number of types in thier store before my purchase.
In the end I could not choose between the various types so went for the most sientific approach of getting a pair named after my favorite river.
Well pleased and saved a few bob.
Ken

Tay sports only for the coldest conditions, otherwise you end up being far too warm. Derwents are very good for all season, from what i have seen.

I bought a pair of Derwents last year, not completely sold on them however. Whilst they are quite a warm boot you do, unsuprisingly, get cold feet when you sit still for a while.
My main problem with them is the lack of grip on wet muddy banks, already gone ar*e over tit on a couple of occasions which has made me extremely wary of them when close to the water, which is probably a good thing at this time of year.
Stewart

Bought a pair of the Spey's a couple of weeks ago, cannot understand why It has taken me so long to buy a pair, they are top drawer!

Brought a pair of the Camo Muckboots 3 years ago, i wear them Summer and Winter, have used them 4 or 5 times a week for 3 years great boots,

Regards Ray Thorpe

I bought a pair of Derwents last year, not completely sold on them however. Whilst they are quite a warm boot you do, unsuprisingly, get cold feet when you sit still for a while.
My main problem with them is the lack of grip on wet muddy banks, already gone ar*e over tit on a couple of occasions which has made me extremely wary of them when close to the water, which is probably a good thing at this time of year.
Stewart
Looking at the pictures, it does look like the Derwent has a traditional wellie style tread pattern, whereas the Spey/Tay has more of a walking boot pattern. perhaps that makes a difference ... although Ken stated that his Derwents have good grip!

although Ken stated that his Derwents have good grip!

Was suprised by that.
I suppose it depends on what your used to, I'm outside most of the day and compared them to the good quality walking boots i usually wear, these have a tread which digs in and holds. When sitting still i go for the warmth of the muck boots but have had to learn they don't grip as well.
Lost one fish and nearly joined it jumping for a rod.
Stewart

I've had a pair of the Spey boots for a year or two now and would recommend them to anyone. Comfy to wear and roam about in and will keep you warm in all but the coldest of conditions with a good pair of walking socks on.

Stewart

To overcome the lack of grip on cleated soles, get some wader studs from Yorkshire Game Angling (YGA), they are very cheap, and screw them into the thickest sections of the sole. The first pair of boots that I did I was a bit twitchy, but since then, been quite gung-ho and never had a leak or crucified feet. If you were worried about either of thes events, put some silicone on the threads and an inner sock in the boot.

Am tempted by the Tay Sports myself. Being someone that suffers cold feet, these sound ideal. Although my Columbia lace up winter boots are toastie, they're a job to get on and off and will cake in mud. Can't also tuck the leg of my bib n brace into them which I could with the muckboot.

Anyone know anywhere in the East Midlands that stock Muckboots?

Cheers
Jas

Andy,if you are gonna buy Muckboots then buy the Tay sport. They are basically,warm and very robust. I think they are warm but i find that if i sit in one place i get cold feet. I dont think the muckboots are without flaw but like anything, if you want as much for your money as possible then these should fit the bill. If you suffer from cold feet, your feet will get cold once stationery so dont think that Muckboots are a cure for that mate. If you rove alot and you dont mind a less of a tread/grip then the normal ones will suffice! Alternatively you could get the normal Tays,or if your gonna keep stationery buy some Skeetex moonboots.

Thanks Jim that sounds like a good idea, far better than an early bath for sure.
Stewart

A simple idea , but it really does work. Why wellies don't come with screw in recesses like the old football boots or, I don't know, as this would provide the flexibility of putting the studs in or removing them.

Back