• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

mortimer & whitehouse gone fishing

For those of you who aren’t already aware, there is an hour long Christmas special on BBC2 on Sunday 13 December at 20:10. Fishing on the Esk and Tees plus a chat with Chris Rea. Can’t wait although I know some of you aren’t fans!

Dave
BRILLIANT !
thanks so much I will set an alarm on my phone so I dont forget one of the best ever things I have ever watched on TV the connection those two guys have is magic and they give me real belly laughs every time just pure entertainment :cool:

Game fishing or barbel fishing? ;)

Without special permission, the Esk is likely to be game only. If they are chasing barbel on the Tees, they'll have done rather well if they've found one. Whilst people are sensibly tight lipped about Tees barbel these days, they do still exist, I don't recall hearing about a single barbel being caught this year. There's not a single report on this year's river thread. You've got to go back to 17/18 season for a solitary barbel report from the Tees.

Without special permission, the Esk is likely to be game only. If they are chasing barbel on the Tees, they'll have done rather well if they've found one. Whilst people are sensibly tight lipped about Tees barbel these days, they do still exist, I don't recall hearing about a single barbel being caught this year. There's not a single report on this year's river thread. You've got to go back to 17/18 season for a solitary barbel report from the Tees.
My comment was tongue in cheek 😜

There's certainly an interesting dynamic between them. I find Paul a little patronising, at times, but he then seems to suddenly realise and back off. For all that, it's a wonderful programme with which to while away these darker, colder evenings.

As a stand alone series about to comedians who one of which is a good angler, and the other not, nor does have any interest in the subject, it seems to work. I think we can all identify with friends or family that have zero interest in our pastime, and no amount of romantasising about the fine art will ever convince them it is not time wasted.
To make an Angling programme with Angling as the main subject matter would probably not get funded, so to dress it up this way, works for the General public but possibly not for the true Angler,and all the faffing around by Bob serves only to add to Paul's frustrations, and to mine.
Bob will never be convinced, but does show moments that he does, the Wye demonstrated that, but who wouldn't ? The places they fish are outstanding try flogging a dead horse on the Otter ravaged rivers that used to be so prolific, the public should see the real problems our Rivers are facing too.
The series is a huge hit, I watch it, but not with the love I had for Passion, a masterpiece that wasn't afraid to showcase Angling without a Government Health Warning.

Well I enjoyed the Christmas special had some magical moments had some laughs saw some wonderful parts of England 10 out of 10

Me too. Their interaction is brilliant with them feeding off each other and taking the Mick.

I loved the Staithes part having spent a lot of time up there sea fishing with friends and camping with my wife at nearby Hinderwell. It was especially touching to see that sign outside the cottage on Cowbar Hill; Mizpah, the name of the old cobble that we used to fish off. Lovely memories.

Cobles_on_Roxby_Beck[1].JPG

Moorings_-_Staithes_print[1].jpg

There's a stretch that myself and a couple of mates (Gino and another mate you don't know) used to fish Chris, I could go after work and catch a few fish pretty much every time I went up until 5-6 years ago. Lucky to catch a single fish a season now.

I have heard on the grapevine recently about quite a few captures last season but lips are tight and for good reason. I have a good idea though!

Me too. Their interaction is brilliant with them feeding off each other and taking the Mick.

I loved the Staithes part having spent a lot of time up there sea fishing with friends and camping with my wife at nearby Hinderwell. It was especially touching to see that sign outside the cottage on Cowbar Hill; Mizpah, the name of the old cobble that we used to fish off. Lovely memories.

View attachment 13281

View attachment 13282
Staithes is a wonderful little fishing village, I go regularly, like stepping back in time.

I fished with Sean the staithes skipper this summer and he was on the phone to the BBC sorting it whilst we were onboard
To say there was a cultural clash would be an understatement! !!
Perhaps that why he was very quiet and not mentioned in the credits??
The fishing was hard as bluddy seals everywhere we fished -I couldn’t believe it
But that was the funniest line from Bob when he saw that seal
“ I bet he’s a 20” collar” 🤣🤣🤣
One of the finest days fishing I’ve ever had was stood in the Tees fishing for Dace-wonderful experience
If anyone can recommend a club/ stretch where I have a chance of some grayling I would relally appreciate it - PM if need be
Thanks
Paul

I fished with Sean the staithes skipper this summer and he was on the phone to the BBC sorting it whilst we were onboard
To say there was a cultural clash would be an understatement! !!
Perhaps that why he was very quiet and not mentioned in the credits??
The fishing was hard as bluddy seals everywhere we fished -I couldn’t believe it
But that was the funniest line from Bob when he saw that seal
“ I bet he’s a 20” collar” 🤣🤣🤣
One of the finest days fishing I’ve ever had was stood in the Tees fishing for Dace-wonderful experience
If anyone can recommend a club/ stretch where I have a chance of some grayling I would relally appreciate it - PM if need be
Thanks
Paul

Did you see the PM I sent you?

Hi Gerry
I have just managed to watch the Paul Whitehouse interview, i loved it, it brought back some great memories when i spent every weekend fishing Kings Weir and enjoying a full breakfast cooked by Barbara in the keepers house.
Many thanks.
Brian.

In replying to my own message, it got me thinking, there were two Barbara's one was Newton, but before that the one i knew was Carey, i have been trying to remember her husbands name, i was thinking that it was Ken or Jim, can anyone remember there names ?
Cheers lads.

Jim Carey rings a bell. Whatever her name she made lovely rolls. seem to remember hamburgers in a crusty roll with a slice of cheddar.
Happier days.

Well I have to say that this series has been an absolute cracker, the program seems to get better and better.

I watched the latest episode last night and my god is Mick May from 'The Cancer And Pisces Club' one hell of a man. What an incredible attitude and inspirational outlook to the adversity he has faced, and continues to face. And what an amazingly selfless thing to set-up. Just watching it brought a fair old lump to my throat. Even if you don't enjoy the show, its worth watching to see the interview with Mick.

The website can be found here and there is also a link if you want to give them a donation via JustGiving: https://www.cancerandpiscestrust.org/about

Back