• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Moon Phases app

Kevin Brown

Senior Member & Supporter
Anyone know of a decent moon phase app that’s free ? (iOS)
I remember the old Abu Garcia book with three fishes for good fishing
one fish for poor that used moon phases for reference .

I think it plays a decent sized part of the jigsaw we all try to put together on a weekly basis along with water temperatures and river levels etc

Who needs an app 😉
D952895B-8955-4892-9276-0268D8E593D6.jpeg

I’ve got My Moon Phase on my phone. Free on iOS

Anyone know of a decent moon phase app that’s free ? (iOS)
I remember the old Abu Garcia book with three fishes for good fishing
one fish for poor that used moon phases for reference .

I think it plays a decent sized part of the jigsaw we all try to put together on a weekly basis along with water temperatures and river levels etc
Tides4fishing.com works for me.

Thanks chaps 😊
The iOS app looks good although none tell
me the best moon for fishing?
Think it’s the new moon and a full moon ?
But then we have a super moon this Sunday ?!
I wasn’t going to go fishing on any specific moon phase it’s just out of curiosity really .

I think if you’ve got something to tell you easily what phases are currently happening the rest you can work out with research and other’s experience.
Personally I wouldn’t pick my fishing trips based on moon phase. I’m not saying it doesn’t have an effect but I don’t believe it’s big enough to start planning trips around it. If the weather and water temperature are looking good I’m not really too worried about what the moon is doing, I’ll go fishing

I don't think it's worrh basing a fishing trip purely around a specific moon phase, as Rich said, weather, air pressure and water temperature are more important triggers for feeding.
It's not just the particular moon phases, it's specific times during the moon's orbit on the day that are considered to be the key times also, such as moon rise, high orbit, moon set and low orbit.
I occasionally check a catch against these times but the results are pretty inconclusive.

Thanks chaps 😊
The iOS app looks good although none tell
me the best moon for fishing?
Think it’s the new moon and a full moon ?
But then we have a super moon this Sunday ?!
I wasn’t going to go fishing on any specific moon phase it’s just out of curiosity really .
Well the is a difficult can of worms. For many years as a carp angler, I had a fear of fishing on a full moon, until a freezing foggy night on a full moon gave me one of my best captures.. My PB barbel was caught during the daytime on the day of a winter full moon; so now i don't really worry about it. But, having said that; as I am unable to plan my time out; I just fish the best I can in the conditions I am faced with!!!

If you take notice of all factors (air temp, water temp, air pressure, river level, precipitation, cloud cover, wind direction, moon phase, position of the sun, tea leaves, who’s the current prime minister, etc) you’d end up never going fishing.

I’ve got a brilliant app on my phone that tells me when to fish:
755F4AFF-7612-4EA7-951A-04CDFC68B760.png

If you think about it , we have a full moon once a month ish, and obviosly the waxing and waning to get to that point, so theres only about a week where the moon is not visible at some time in the night sky, so fish should be used to seeing and feeling its presence, personally temp trend is much more important to me, but having a bait in the water trumps all ifs and buts,,,,,

Just chuck the gear in the car and go .

It may not work for everybody , but you will never ever catch fish when you are home sat looking at a computer wondering “if “ you will catch .

I am much the same as Paul… I never worry about conditions really and that includes floods, moon phases, wind, etc .The only thing that does put me off is drought , and that is because the fish in most rivers these days have a hard enough time of it anyway without me contributing to it by trying or even succeeding to catch them when they may not recover due to low oxy levels .

Dave

Back