• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

monster barbel mystery river

Mike Hodgkiss

Had cause to look in the ' Dangling Times ' today and noticed an article about a huge 18lb 4oz barbel from a mystery ' up and coming southern river ' . The river is tidal apparently . Anyone care to speculate as to the rivers identity ? Looking at the pictures I reckon it would be a doddle to work it out if you lived in the vicinity as the river is in plain view . Just idle curiosity really , stunning looking fish

And mess it up for local anglers never. One such river I know had the masses decend when regularly featured in a weekly. Such fishing tactics as 5 rods in one swim 9 rods between 3 guys,casting from the opposite bank into other anglers swims and hordes of non licenced individuals. Also the threat of violence and bully boy tactics.
Sometimes its better left alone to those who fish it and to concentrate on getting a good fish from your own stretches.

Almost 100% certain I recognise the river in those pics and the hills behind from when I lived darn sarf for a bit. It will come out eventually because it is well fished for another species and the stretch in the photos is very obviously different from the rest of the non-tidal parts which are better known. Not somewhere you would normally think about barbel fishing unless you had local knowledge so well done to the captor for his persistence and a great photo. Worth having a look if you are near a copy of the paper.

Seems a bit daft to me! If the captor wanted to keep the venue secret, putting a picture of it in a national newspaper wouldn't be my first move! A more carefull choice of background needed methinks!

Seems a bit daft to me! If the captor wanted to keep the venue secret, putting a picture of it in a national newspaper wouldn't be my first move! A more carefull choice of background needed methinks!

Well said mate, the fact of the matter is we are all fisherman, but it's seen far too often undisclosed venues etc,why bother going to the extreme of publicising if your not gunna let people know the river at least. IMO.

No idea what river myself although i hope the guy gets chastised by his fellow anglers fishing that stretch,as he certainly hasn't done them any favours from what i can see. You can bet a few will be wondering around with the picture looking at the background!

There is only one reason for publicising captures of big barbel in todays press; the individual seeks glory, adulation and gratification above the actual capture and general well being of the fish. Of course, eveyone who knows about the whereabouts of such big fish will have a go for them. But every TD and H??

I'm not sure this is 'new news' Someone told me about the rumour weeks ago. (assuming its the same river...I havnt seen the article)

Not everyone.

I am afraid that the secret is out. It is from the lower reaches of the River Pinn. It is a fish that my father caught in the River Crane some years ago and it obviously moved down into the Thames and then swam upstream to the Colne and joined our lovely river.

Ah well the secret is out now.......

Hugo

It might have been decent enough to grace my net as it swam up the Colne, Hugo. Thoughtless creature!

I think I'd rather not know which river it is. Ignorance is bliss.

There is only one reason for publicising captures of big barbel in todays press; the individual seeks glory, adulation and gratification above the actual capture and general well being of the fish. Of course, eveyone who knows about the whereabouts of such big fish will have a go for them. But every TD and H??

Well said that man, I wholeheartedly agree.

It looks like the Sussex Ouse to me, between Lewes and Barcombe, home of huge Carp, big Barbel and other species, a most neglected river, I reckon I had one of the first double figure from the Sussex Ouse, way back in the 80's from Barcombe weir, the reason I reckon it is that river, in one of the shots you can see the rolling Sussex downs in the distance, another clue was his helicopter rig he used, the river is very, very muddy there and any other rig would sink without a trace.......but then again I could be totally wrong!

No, not the Cuckmere, to wide, maybe the Arun, but not enough trees, but open farmland down to the waters edge at High tide, my money is on the Ouse.

Back